Sens Edged by Hartford on Home Ice
The Belleville Senators were narrowly beaten 4-3 by the Hartford Wolf Pack Friday night at CAA Arena.
Belleville had goals from Jack Rodewald, Francois Beauchemin and Erik Burgdoerfer while Filip Gustavsson made 39 saves in his second start of the year. Lias Andersson, Bobby Butler, Ty Ronning and Cole Schneider scored for the visitors while Alexandar Georgiev stopped shots 25 in his first start of the season.
It was a good start for Belleville as Rodewald struck on the power play 5:16 in with a wrist shot from the left circle but the lead was short-lived as Andersson tied it up 1:42 later as he banged in his own rebound past his fellow Swede Gustavsson.
Hartford grabbed a 2-1 lead at 16:14 through Butler's second of the year as he scored from almost the goal line on a 5-on-3 advantage. After Belleville got out of some penalty trouble, they had two great chances to tie the game before the end of the first as Drake Batherson took advantage of a turnover but was denied by Georgiev's left pad on a breakaway before Rudolfs Balcers was also denied on a breakaway as the Bulgarian netminder got his glove up to make the save.
The visitors pushed their lead to 3-1 at 6:08 of the second as Ronning picked Chase Balisy's pocket before sliding the past under Gustavssons leg before Beauchemin grabbed his second goal in as many games as he turned and fired a puck goalbound that found a way past Georgiev just 53 seconds later.
The Wolf Pack restored its two goal lead at 10:00 as captain Schneider was the beneficiary of an odd-man rush as he got just enough of the puck pas Gustavsson who nearly kept it out.
The Sens dominated the majority of the possession in the third period and were finally rewarded with 5:07 to play as captain Burgdoerfer wired a slap shot past Georgiev to cut the Hartford lead to 4-3 but the Senators couldn't find an equalizer in the last five minutes.
Batherson extended his point-streak to four games with his assist and is now one game short of tying Filip Chlapik's franchise record.
Belleville is back in action Saturday night as they host Rochester for the first time this season. Tickets are available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 19, 2018
- Phantoms and Penguins Battle in Wild Rivalry Game - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Amerks Top Marlies in Shootout for Fifth Straight Win - Rochester Americans
- Stars Tame Wild with Second Straight Four-Goal Third Period - Texas Stars
- Comrie Backstops Moose Past Rampage - San Antonio Rampage
- Penguins Win High Octane Game at Lehigh Valley, 5-4 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Checkers Stay Perfect with Shootout Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Monumental Start by Montembeault Key to Victory for T-Birds - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Georgiev Backstops Wolf Pack to 4-3 Victory - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Dal Colle, Rathgeb, Toews all collect multi-point efforts in overtime win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Bears Drop Entertaining Battle in Shootout - Hershey Bears
- Devils Shut Down by Crunch, 4-0 - Binghamton Devils
- Sens Edged by Hartford on Home Ice - Belleville Senators
- Comets Fall Short against Cleveland - Utica Comets
- Monsters Outlast Comets, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Crunch Shutout Devils, 4-0 - Syracuse Crunch
- Third Period Lead Slips Away in 4-3 P-Bruins OT Loss - Providence Bruins
- Anaheim Ducks Assign Troy Terry to San Diego, Recall Pontus Aberg - San Diego Gulls
- Game #5 Preview: Tucson vs. Rockford - Tucson Roadrunners
- Marlies Look to Rebound in Rochester - Toronto Marlies
- Gravel Recalled by Oilers; Condors Call up Kulevich - Bakersfield Condors
- Jordan Szwarz Named P-Bruins Captain - Providence Bruins
- Forward Sheldon Dries Reassigned to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Amerks Hosting 11th Annual "Sweets in the Suites" Night on Saturday, October 27 - Rochester Americans
- Comets Break AHL Sellout Streak Record at 121 Games - Utica Comets
- Coyotes Assign Ullstrom to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Red Wings Assign Lashoff to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gryba, Schneider Join Binghamton Devils - Binghamton Devils
- Sound Tigers Face Bruins, Phantoms this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Jets Assign Kristian Vesalainen to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Defenseman Ottenbreit Reassigned to Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Ottawa Recalls Paul from Belleville - Belleville Senators
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators vs. Wolf Pack, October 19 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears at Checkers, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.