Texas Completes Two-Game Road Sweep Over Chicago
ROSEMONT, Illinois - The Texas Stars, American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Dallas Stars, picked up their second win in a row to complete a road sweep over the Chicago Wolves with a 5-1 victory Saturday night at Allstate Arena.
Texas dominated action in the first period, outshooting Chicago 12-2 before carrying 1-0 advantage into the first intermission. Marian Studenic broke the scoreless tie with 44 seconds remaining in the frame when he picked up his own rebound before scoring from the goal line following a pair of assists by Curtis McKenzie and Oskar Back.
In the second period, Riley Tufte had a shot from the point by Ben Gleason deflect off his breezers and in, which increased the Stars' lead to 2-0 at 2:53. Then, making it 3-0 at 5:05 was Jacob Peterson scoring his fourth goal of the season on a shot off a two-on-one rush that beat netminder Cale Morris blocker-side. After Alexander Petrovic matched a single-season career high by scoring his fifth goal at 18:17 to make it 4-0, Chicago forward Josh Melnick tipped in a shot at 19:29 to cut the deficit to 4-1. After the middle period, where both sides registered nine shots on goal, Texas grasped a 21-11 advantage in shots.
At 11:12 of the third period, Studenic buried another rebound for his second goal of the night, which extended the lead to 5-1. Texas ultimately held on there for a four-goal victory over Chicago and their first series sweep over an opponent since defeating Iowa in Des Moines Oct. 21-22.
Coming out on top between the pipes for the Stars, Anton Khudobin made 17 saves on 18 shots to improve to 6-2-2 on the season. For the Wolves, Morris stopped 24 of the 29 shots he faced.
Texas is back in action Tuesday night in Milwaukee for the third stop on their current six-game road stretch. Opening face-off between the Stars and Admirals at UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena is set for 7:00 p.m. CST.
Images from this story
Texas Stars celebrate win
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 26, 2022
- Reign fall to Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Antoine Bibeau Shines in Belleville Sens' Victory - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Dominate Amerks 5-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Oskari Salminen Finishes With 24 Saves In Victory - Manitoba Moose
- Texas Completes Two-Game Road Sweep Over Chicago - Texas Stars
- Manitoba's Power-Play Takes Down Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Stumble Against Phantoms In Weekend Finale - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Defeated by Stars 5-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Another Late Comeback Caps Pens' 3-2 Shootout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dylan Garand Makes Career-High 38 Saves, But Wolf Pack Fall 1-0 in Shootout to Bears - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sikura Tallies Twice; Hogs Split Weekend with Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Prevail In 1-0 Shootout Win Over Wolf Pack - Hershey Bears
- Toporowski's Hat-Trick and Wagner's Overtime Winner Lead P-Bruins to 6-5 Victory Over Crunch - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Topped by Bruins, 6-5, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Afanasyev Scores Two in Admirals' Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sikura Tallies Twice, Hogs Split Weekend With Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds' Hard-Fought Effort Earns Point vs. Penguins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barracuda Sign Defenseman Jalen Smereck to PTO - San Jose Barracuda
- Comets Holtz Lifts Team In Overtime Over Checkers, 3-2 - Utica Comets
- Colorado Eagles Outlast Iowa Wild, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Colorado Rallies for Sixth-Straight Win in 2-1 Triumph Over Iowa - Colorado Eagles
- San Diego Gulls Reassign Goaltender Daniel Mannella to Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Greaves Backs Monsters to 5-1 Win Over Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Colorado Eagles Recall Forward Tarun Fizer - Colorado Eagles
- Wolf Pack Eye Weekend Split in Rematch vs. Bears at XL Center - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Colorado Eagles - Iowa Wild
- NHL Veteran Alex Chiasson Joins Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Brenden Miller to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #16 - Roadrunners at Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Surging Hogs Offense Heads to Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Sikura, Hogs Snap Admirals' Streak - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.