Comets Holtz Lifts Team In Overtime Over Checkers, 3-2
November 26, 2022 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Utica Comets News Release
Charlotte, NC. - After being defeated by the Charlotte Checkers in overtime a day earlier, the Comets took to the ice against their Atlantic Division opponents looking for revenge and that's exactly what they got when Alex Holtz scored the game winning goal in the extra session. The Comets young goaltender Isaac Poulter stood tall in the crease all night and helped the team to a 3-2 victory.
In the opening period, the Checkers won an offensive zone draw and rifled a shot off the faceoff that left a rebound in front of Comets goalie Isaac Poulter. The puck, slipped past Poulter by Justin Sourdiff at 1:27. The Comets roared back, and it was Brian Pinho at center ice who sent the puck to the middle lane driving Nolan Foote who didn't wait long to score his sixth of the season. The shot, at 9:54, went in on the blocker side of Checkers goalie Mack Guzda tied the game at 1-1. That's how things would stay going into the middle frame.
With the contest locked up, the Comets pressed for the go-ahead goal in the middle frame. The hard work paid off after Joe Gambardella sent a cross ice pass that was blasted into the net by Graeme Clarke at 18:29. Clarke's goal, his third of the season, was also assisted by Reilly Walsh. This put the Comets up 2-1 after forty minutes of play.
In the final period of regulation, the Comets took advantage of an early power-play and it was Zac Dalple who registered the goal at 2:22 tying the contest at 2-2. It took the game to overtime after several dazzling saves by Isaac Poulter, the Comets Alex Holtz skated in along with Andreas Johnsson and wristed a shot that beat the Checkers netminder at 2:43. It was Poulter's first American Hockey League victory. The Comets took three of a possible four points in the weekend series.
The Comets are back to action Wednesday at 7:00 PM against Laval at 7:00 PM at home inside the Adirondack Bank Center. Tickets are still available.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 26, 2022
- Reign fall to Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Antoine Bibeau Shines in Belleville Sens' Victory - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Dominate Amerks 5-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Oskari Salminen Finishes With 24 Saves In Victory - Manitoba Moose
- Texas Completes Two-Game Road Sweep Over Chicago - Texas Stars
- Manitoba's Power-Play Takes Down Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Stumble Against Phantoms In Weekend Finale - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Defeated by Stars 5-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Another Late Comeback Caps Pens' 3-2 Shootout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dylan Garand Makes Career-High 38 Saves, But Wolf Pack Fall 1-0 in Shootout to Bears - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sikura Tallies Twice; Hogs Split Weekend with Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Prevail In 1-0 Shootout Win Over Wolf Pack - Hershey Bears
- Toporowski's Hat-Trick and Wagner's Overtime Winner Lead P-Bruins to 6-5 Victory Over Crunch - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Topped by Bruins, 6-5, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Afanasyev Scores Two in Admirals' Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sikura Tallies Twice, Hogs Split Weekend With Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds' Hard-Fought Effort Earns Point vs. Penguins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barracuda Sign Defenseman Jalen Smereck to PTO - San Jose Barracuda
- Comets Holtz Lifts Team In Overtime Over Checkers, 3-2 - Utica Comets
- Colorado Eagles Outlast Iowa Wild, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Colorado Rallies for Sixth-Straight Win in 2-1 Triumph Over Iowa - Colorado Eagles
- San Diego Gulls Reassign Goaltender Daniel Mannella to Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Greaves Backs Monsters to 5-1 Win Over Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Colorado Eagles Recall Forward Tarun Fizer - Colorado Eagles
- Wolf Pack Eye Weekend Split in Rematch vs. Bears at XL Center - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Colorado Eagles - Iowa Wild
- NHL Veteran Alex Chiasson Joins Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Brenden Miller to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #16 - Roadrunners at Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Surging Hogs Offense Heads to Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Sikura, Hogs Snap Admirals' Streak - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.