Oskari Salminen Finishes With 24 Saves In Victory
The Manitoba Moose (9-5-2-0) took on the Grand Rapids Griffins (8-9-1-0) Saturday evening at Van Andel Arena. It was the final contest of a five-game road swing for the Moose. Manitoba was coming off a 3-0 loss at the hands of the Griffins the previous night.
Neither side was able to break the scoring open in the first frame. The Griffins were awarded the only chance on the man advantage, but Oskari Salminen was up to task for Manitoba and kept all pucks out of his net enroute to a six-save stanza. Jussi Olkinuora was solid for Grand Rapids and turned away all seven Moose shots he faced. Daniel Torgersson, who is skating in his first full season with Manitoba, led both squads with two shots after the opening 20 minutes had expired.
The Moose broke the deadlock with under five to play in the middle stanza. Tyler Boland fired a shot toward the net. The puck was tipped off a Griffins skate and found its way to Greg Meireles, who snapped a quick low shot through Olkinuora's pads. The Griffins fired back with under two minutes to go. Joel L'Esperance took advantage of a Moose change on the penalty kill and beat Salminen with a short side shot. Both Manitoba and Grand Rapids put up 14 shots in the middle period as the horn sounded with both sides locked at one apiece.
Manitoba reclaimed its lead in the third with a goal on the man-advantage from Alex Limoges. Kevin Stenlund and Jeff Malott made the first two passes before Limoges finished the tic-tac-toe play and beat Olkinuora under the blocker for his fifth of the season. Manitoba took advantage later in the frame and added some insurance with a five-on-three power play goal from Declan Chisholm. Chaz Lucius found the defenceman with a pass from behind the net and Chisholm uncorked a blast for his second point of the evening. Grand Rapids pulled Olkinuora late in favour of the extra attacker, but it was the Moose who capitalized as Jeff Malott potted the empty net tally. Salminen notched the win and finished the game with 24 saves, while Olkinuora picked up the loss and made 25 stops of his own.
Tyler Boland's assist is his first AHL point of the season
Jeff Malott's empty net tally was his team-leading seventh of the season
The Moose notched a pair of goals on the power play for the fifth time this season
Manitoba returns home for a morning contest against the Milwaukee Admirals at Canada Life Centre on Thursday, Dec. 1. Puck drop for is slated for 11 a.m. CT. Tickets to all upcoming Moose home games are available at MooseHockey.com/TICKETS.
You can catch the game on CJOB.com/sports, the new Winnipeg Jets App,and AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 26, 2022
- Reign fall to Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Antoine Bibeau Shines in Belleville Sens' Victory - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Dominate Amerks 5-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Oskari Salminen Finishes With 24 Saves In Victory - Manitoba Moose
- Texas Completes Two-Game Road Sweep Over Chicago - Texas Stars
- Manitoba's Power-Play Takes Down Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Stumble Against Phantoms In Weekend Finale - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Defeated by Stars 5-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Another Late Comeback Caps Pens' 3-2 Shootout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dylan Garand Makes Career-High 38 Saves, But Wolf Pack Fall 1-0 in Shootout to Bears - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sikura Tallies Twice; Hogs Split Weekend with Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Prevail In 1-0 Shootout Win Over Wolf Pack - Hershey Bears
- Toporowski's Hat-Trick and Wagner's Overtime Winner Lead P-Bruins to 6-5 Victory Over Crunch - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Topped by Bruins, 6-5, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Afanasyev Scores Two in Admirals' Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sikura Tallies Twice, Hogs Split Weekend With Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds' Hard-Fought Effort Earns Point vs. Penguins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barracuda Sign Defenseman Jalen Smereck to PTO - San Jose Barracuda
- Comets Holtz Lifts Team In Overtime Over Checkers, 3-2 - Utica Comets
- Colorado Eagles Outlast Iowa Wild, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Colorado Rallies for Sixth-Straight Win in 2-1 Triumph Over Iowa - Colorado Eagles
- San Diego Gulls Reassign Goaltender Daniel Mannella to Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Greaves Backs Monsters to 5-1 Win Over Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Colorado Eagles Recall Forward Tarun Fizer - Colorado Eagles
- Wolf Pack Eye Weekend Split in Rematch vs. Bears at XL Center - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Colorado Eagles - Iowa Wild
- NHL Veteran Alex Chiasson Joins Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Brenden Miller to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #16 - Roadrunners at Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Surging Hogs Offense Heads to Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Sikura, Hogs Snap Admirals' Streak - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.