Crunch Topped by Bruins, 6-5, in Overtime
November 26, 2022 - American Hockey League (AHL) - Syracuse Crunch News Release
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch rallied back to earn a point, but fell in overtime to the Providence Bruins, 6-5, tonight at the Upstate Medical University Arena.
The Crunch went 0-1-1-0 in the weekend series against the Bruins and move to 7-7-2-2 on the season.
Crunch goaltender Max Lagace turned aside 25-of-31 shots, while Brandon Bussi stopped 28-of-33 between the pipes for the Bruins.
Syracuse converted on 2-of-8 power play opportunities and went a perfect 6-for-6 on the penalty kill.
Providence struck first when Luke Toporowski skated down the right wing and sent in a shot from the circle just 6:37 into the game. They doubled their lead with another goal from Toporowski at the 13:11. He sped down the left side and deposited a backhander into the net as he cut across the crease.
The Crunch stole one back with a power-play goal late in the first period. Jack Thompson sent the puck down low to Jack Finley at the goal line. He quickly centered it for Felix Robert to score.
The Bruins regained their two-goal lead 3:20 into the second period when Justin Brazeau scored from a sharp angle along the goal line. Marc McLaughlin then added to Providence's score with a wrister from between the circles during 4-on-4 play at the 15-minute mark. Syracuse responded to cut the lead to two late in the middle stanza. Trevor Carrick set Simon Ryfors up for a quick wrister from the right circle.
Syracuse and Providence exchanged goals in the third period as the Crunch eventually rallied back to force overtime. Syracuse came back within one at the 6:33 mark off a power-play goal from Ilya Usau while he was in the right circle to one-time a feed from Gemel Smith. Just one minute later, Toporowski completed the hat trick with a close-range shot. At 9:14, Sean Day fired a wrister from the left circle that went off Gabe Fortier and in. With just 44 seconds remaining in the third period, Robert chipped in a rebound for his second of the night to send the game into overtime.
Chris Wagner went on to score the game-winner for the Bruins 1:13 into the overtime period.
The Crunch are back in action on Friday when they travel to face the Belleville Senators.
Single game tickets and ticket packages for the 2022-23 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the Upstate Medical University Arena at Onondaga County War Memorial at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch).
Crunchables: Darren Raddysh is on a six-game points streak (3g, 9a)...The Crunch have scored at least five goals in five of their last six games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 26, 2022
- Reign fall to Roadrunners - Ontario Reign
- Antoine Bibeau Shines in Belleville Sens' Victory - Belleville Senators
- Phantoms Dominate Amerks 5-1 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Oskari Salminen Finishes With 24 Saves In Victory - Manitoba Moose
- Texas Completes Two-Game Road Sweep Over Chicago - Texas Stars
- Manitoba's Power-Play Takes Down Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Amerks Stumble Against Phantoms In Weekend Finale - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Defeated by Stars 5-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Another Late Comeback Caps Pens' 3-2 Shootout Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Dylan Garand Makes Career-High 38 Saves, But Wolf Pack Fall 1-0 in Shootout to Bears - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sikura Tallies Twice; Hogs Split Weekend with Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- Bears Prevail In 1-0 Shootout Win Over Wolf Pack - Hershey Bears
- Toporowski's Hat-Trick and Wagner's Overtime Winner Lead P-Bruins to 6-5 Victory Over Crunch - Providence Bruins
- Crunch Topped by Bruins, 6-5, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Afanasyev Scores Two in Admirals' Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Sikura Tallies Twice, Hogs Split Weekend With Admirals - Rockford IceHogs
- T-Birds' Hard-Fought Effort Earns Point vs. Penguins - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Barracuda Sign Defenseman Jalen Smereck to PTO - San Jose Barracuda
- Comets Holtz Lifts Team In Overtime Over Checkers, 3-2 - Utica Comets
- Colorado Eagles Outlast Iowa Wild, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Colorado Rallies for Sixth-Straight Win in 2-1 Triumph Over Iowa - Colorado Eagles
- San Diego Gulls Reassign Goaltender Daniel Mannella to Tulsa - San Diego Gulls
- Greaves Backs Monsters to 5-1 Win Over Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Colorado Eagles Recall Forward Tarun Fizer - Colorado Eagles
- Wolf Pack Eye Weekend Split in Rematch vs. Bears at XL Center - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Game Preview: Iowa Wild at Colorado Eagles - Iowa Wild
- NHL Veteran Alex Chiasson Joins Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Sign Defenseman Brenden Miller to Pro Tryout Contract - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: Bears at Wolf Pack, 7 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game #16 - Roadrunners at Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Surging Hogs Offense Heads to Milwaukee - Rockford IceHogs
- Sikura, Hogs Snap Admirals' Streak - Rockford IceHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.