Storm Chasers Outlast I-Cubs in Extras
PAPILLION, NE - The Iowa Cubs (66-78) dropped their longest game of the year to the Omaha Storm Chasers (70-74) by a score of 5-4 in 13 innings, Thursday at Werner Park.
Just two batters into the bottom of the first inning, Omaha had a 1-0 lead on a single followed by an RBI triple from Dairon Blanco. They later loaded the bases but wouldn't score any more runs that inning.
The Storm Chasers got back on the board in the third on an RBI single from Freddy Fermin to go up 2-0. Iowa took their first lead of the game with two home runs in the third, a solo shot from Alexander Canario followed by a two-run homer from Narciso Crook.
Three runs is all they would score against Austin Cox, as the southpaw spun seven innings of three-run ball, allowing four hits and a walk while striking out nine. Iowa held the 3-2 lead until the bottom of the eighth inning, when Jimmy Govern used an RBI single to tie the game.
Both teams were held off the board in the ninth and the game went to extra-innings, where the scoreless innings piled up. The game stayed 3-3 until the 13th inning, when Christian Donahue knocked his first career Triple-A hit to give Iowa a 4-3 lead.
Unfortunately for the I-Cubs, the 13th inning was when Omaha would break their scoreless innings streak as well, getting two runs to walk-off Iowa and take game three of the series.
- After using just two pitchers to get through seven innings yesterday, Iowa went through seven arms in tonight's contest. Six of the seven recorded at least one strikeout while all seven walked one.
- Iowa recorded just five hits tonight, with two of the five leaving the yard and two others going for doubles. Iowa went 1-for-10 with runners in scoring position tonight, stranding eight men on-base.
- Tonight's 13-inning game was the longest game of the year for Iowa, previously playing just one game into the 11th inning.
Iowa and Omaha are scheduled to play game four of their five-game series tomorrow night, with first pitch scheduled for 6:35 from Werner Park. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 23, 2022
- McGuire, Bats Can't Complete Rally, Fall 6-3 to Nashville in Extras on Friday Night - Louisville Bats
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 5-4 WooSox Loss - Worcester Red Sox
- Sounds Clinch Division Title in Louisville - Nashville Sounds
- Mets' Bullpen Shines in 5-4 Syracuse Win Over Worcester on Friday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Big Innings Boost Omaha Over Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Hall Inches Closer to History, IronPigs lose - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Omaha Defeats Iowa Behind Complete Team Effort - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rodriguez Records Two Hits in Friday Night Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Remain in the Hunt with Win vs Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Casteel's Slam Supports Shuster's First Win as Stripers Clip Memphis - Gwinnett Stripers
- Jacksonville Surrenders Late Lead in Loss to Charlotte - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- RailRiders Take Game Over IronPigs, 4-1 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gomez Hits 38th Home Run, Sets New Cardinal Minor League Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Tides Top Bulls 6-3 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Beat the Jumbo Shrimp 7-5 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Rodríguez Solid, Saints Hit Three Solo Homers, End Eight Game Road Losing Streak 4-1 Over Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Wings Win Friday Night Showdown 5-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- Cowser Homers In Win To Tie Series Up In Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Outhit Rochester But Lose 5-2 on Friday Night - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 2022 Player Awards as OF Nathan Lukes Is Named Herd MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- Lukes Named 2022 Herd MVP as Team Announced End of Season Awards. - Buffalo Bisons
- Marlins Name Leblanc Jacksonville Team MVP - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Game Information: St. Paul Saints (69-75) vs. Indianapolis Indians (74-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bae to the Bigs: Pirates Select Contract of No. 11 Prospect Ji-Hwan Bae - Indianapolis Indians
- September 23 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Omaha Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Jake Burger activated off the Injured List - Charlotte Knights
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 23 at Buffalo - Rochester Red Wings
- Jared Oliva Named Indians September Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
- End of the Road, Saints Reach Final Homestand from September 26-28 - St. Paul Saints
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights: September 26-28 - Rochester Red Wings
- Rooker Hits Walk-Off Single in the 13th Inning to Earn 5-4 Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Storm Chasers Outlast I-Cubs in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.