Wings Win Friday Night Showdown 5-2
The Rochester Red Wings bested the Buffalo Bisons by a score of 5-2 on Friday night. The Wings got the scoring started in the top of the second on a sacrifice fly from LF* Jack Peters, scoring 3B Jack Dunn.
RHP Logan Verrett dominated in his start, pitching 6.0 strong innings.
In the bottom of the second, Verrett faced danger with two on and one out. Verrett would escape the inning unscathed by striking out back to back batters.
Still up a run on the sacrifice fly in the second, the Red Wings looked to add in the sixth. After a lead off walk to CF Andrew Stevenson, the outfielder showed his speed by stealing second and third base. The two steals bring Stevenson's season total to 37.
The Wings would steal three bases in the sixth, bringing their total to 150 on the season. This is the most stolen bases in a season since the 2001 Red Wings stole 139 bags.
With Stevenson on third, after the stolen bases, 1B Jon Nogowski would walk. With two on, 2B Jake Alu would plate Stevenson on a base hit to center field. The hit extended Alu's on base streak to 17 games dating back to 9/4.
The next batter, DH Adrian Sanchez doubled in Nogowski and Alu, bringing the Wings lead to 4-0.
Verrett would finish his start allowing eight hits and one earned run, while striking out four.
Looking to capitalize on a strong outing, the Wings bullpen would shut the door on the Bisons, stifling their offense for 3.0 innings. After LHP Curtis Taylor allowed a run to score in his 0.2 innings pitched, the Wings called on LHP Alberto Baldonado, RHP Connor Sadzeck, and RHP Reed Garrett to close out the game.
Over their combined 3.0 innings, the relievers allowed one run on two hits, walking one, and striking out four.
Tomorrow, the Red Wings send RHP Patrick Murphy (3-3, 5.03) to the mound in a 1:05 game against Buffalo.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 23, 2022
- McGuire, Bats Can't Complete Rally, Fall 6-3 to Nashville in Extras on Friday Night - Louisville Bats
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 5-4 WooSox Loss - Worcester Red Sox
- Sounds Clinch Division Title in Louisville - Nashville Sounds
- Mets' Bullpen Shines in 5-4 Syracuse Win Over Worcester on Friday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Big Innings Boost Omaha Over Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Hall Inches Closer to History, IronPigs lose - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Omaha Defeats Iowa Behind Complete Team Effort - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rodriguez Records Two Hits in Friday Night Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Remain in the Hunt with Win vs Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Casteel's Slam Supports Shuster's First Win as Stripers Clip Memphis - Gwinnett Stripers
- Jacksonville Surrenders Late Lead in Loss to Charlotte - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- RailRiders Take Game Over IronPigs, 4-1 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gomez Hits 38th Home Run, Sets New Cardinal Minor League Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Tides Top Bulls 6-3 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Beat the Jumbo Shrimp 7-5 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Rodríguez Solid, Saints Hit Three Solo Homers, End Eight Game Road Losing Streak 4-1 Over Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Wings Win Friday Night Showdown 5-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- Cowser Homers In Win To Tie Series Up In Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Outhit Rochester But Lose 5-2 on Friday Night - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 2022 Player Awards as OF Nathan Lukes Is Named Herd MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- Lukes Named 2022 Herd MVP as Team Announced End of Season Awards. - Buffalo Bisons
- Marlins Name Leblanc Jacksonville Team MVP - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Game Information: St. Paul Saints (69-75) vs. Indianapolis Indians (74-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bae to the Bigs: Pirates Select Contract of No. 11 Prospect Ji-Hwan Bae - Indianapolis Indians
- September 23 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Omaha Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Jake Burger activated off the Injured List - Charlotte Knights
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 23 at Buffalo - Rochester Red Wings
- Jared Oliva Named Indians September Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
- End of the Road, Saints Reach Final Homestand from September 26-28 - St. Paul Saints
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights: September 26-28 - Rochester Red Wings
- Rooker Hits Walk-Off Single in the 13th Inning to Earn 5-4 Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Storm Chasers Outlast I-Cubs in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rochester Red Wings Stories
- Red Wings Release 2024 Preliminary Promotional Schedule
- Red Wings Announce 50-Degree Guarantee for Opening Day
- Matthew LeCroy to Manage Red Wings for Fourth Consecutive Season
- Why the 2023 Team MVP Might Go Back to Back
- Washington Nationals Re-Sign Travis Blankenhorn