Big Innings Boost Omaha Over Iowa
PAPILLION, NE - The Iowa Cubs (66-79) dropped their second straight to the Omaha Storm Chasers (71-74) on Friday night at Werner Park, falling 10-2 to even the series at two games apiece.
Omaha took the first lead of the game in the first inning. All of the Storm Chasers' first three batters reached base safely against Iowa starter Caleb Kilian, setting up a bases-loaded situation with no outs. Kilian managed to induce a ground ball double play, but a runner scored in the process, putting Omaha up 1-0. The Chasers then added on in the next inning with a double and an RBI groundout to increase their lead to two.
The I-Cubs answered back in the top of the fourth by way of a solo home run from Christian Donahue - his first at the Triple-A level. That cut Omaha's lead in half, at 2-1, but it wouldn't stay that way for long. Kilian handed the game over to Jonathan Holder in the fifth, and the Storm Chasers capitalized on the change. They strung together two walks and three hits to plate four more runs, bringing the score to 6-1.
The Storm Chasers added even more insurance in the eighth. Steven Brault faced five batters without recording an out and gave up three runs in the process, making it a 9-1 game. Peyton Remy took over from there in his Triple-A debut, and though he walked two men, he gave up just one run on a sacrifice fly.
Iowa made a little bit of noise in the ninth, but they couldn't climb all the way back. Scott McKeon and Erick Castillo both singled, producing one more run, but that's all the I-Cubs could manage. Nathan Webb closed out the game for the Storm Chasers, who took their second straight victory by a final score of 10-2.
Caleb Kilian was credited with the loss tonight, his fourth of the season with Iowa.
Dairon Blanco extended his hitting streak against Iowa to eight games and now stands just one game shy of Iowa's opponent season high, set by Buffalo's LJ Talley.
Iowa has gone 16-for-100 as a team over their last three games, good for a .160 average.
The I-Cubs turned two double-plays tonight, bringing them to nine total double-plays through the first four games of the series in Omaha.
Iowa will close out the series against Omaha tomorrow with their final road game of the season. First pitch between the I-Cubs and the Storm Chasers is set for 6:35 pm. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 23, 2022
- McGuire, Bats Can't Complete Rally, Fall 6-3 to Nashville in Extras on Friday Night - Louisville Bats
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 5-4 WooSox Loss - Worcester Red Sox
- Sounds Clinch Division Title in Louisville - Nashville Sounds
- Mets' Bullpen Shines in 5-4 Syracuse Win Over Worcester on Friday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Big Innings Boost Omaha Over Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Hall Inches Closer to History, IronPigs lose - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Omaha Defeats Iowa Behind Complete Team Effort - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rodriguez Records Two Hits in Friday Night Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Remain in the Hunt with Win vs Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Casteel's Slam Supports Shuster's First Win as Stripers Clip Memphis - Gwinnett Stripers
- Jacksonville Surrenders Late Lead in Loss to Charlotte - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- RailRiders Take Game Over IronPigs, 4-1 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gomez Hits 38th Home Run, Sets New Cardinal Minor League Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Tides Top Bulls 6-3 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Beat the Jumbo Shrimp 7-5 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Rodríguez Solid, Saints Hit Three Solo Homers, End Eight Game Road Losing Streak 4-1 Over Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Wings Win Friday Night Showdown 5-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- Cowser Homers In Win To Tie Series Up In Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Outhit Rochester But Lose 5-2 on Friday Night - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 2022 Player Awards as OF Nathan Lukes Is Named Herd MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- Lukes Named 2022 Herd MVP as Team Announced End of Season Awards. - Buffalo Bisons
- Marlins Name Leblanc Jacksonville Team MVP - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Game Information: St. Paul Saints (69-75) vs. Indianapolis Indians (74-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bae to the Bigs: Pirates Select Contract of No. 11 Prospect Ji-Hwan Bae - Indianapolis Indians
- September 23 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Omaha Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Jake Burger activated off the Injured List - Charlotte Knights
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 23 at Buffalo - Rochester Red Wings
- Jared Oliva Named Indians September Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
- End of the Road, Saints Reach Final Homestand from September 26-28 - St. Paul Saints
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights: September 26-28 - Rochester Red Wings
- Rooker Hits Walk-Off Single in the 13th Inning to Earn 5-4 Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Storm Chasers Outlast I-Cubs in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.