RailRiders Take Game Over IronPigs, 4-1
ALLENTOWN, PA -The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders (80-64) defeated the Lehigh Valley IronPigs 4-1 on Friday night. The win knocks the IronPigs out of postseason contention and moves the RailRiders within a half a game of the lone playoff position in the division.
Sean Boyle was solid in his seventh start (eighth appearance) with the RailRiders this season. The righthander pitched five innings, allowing one run on a solo shot from Darick Hall in the fifth. Hall has now hit eight home runs against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre this season, the most by any opposing batter.
The RailRiders' offense backed Boyle with a pair of runs in the second and fifth. In the second, Estevan Florial ripped a two-run single to left, plating Tyler Wade and Michael Beltre.
Their lead increased to 4-0 with two more coming across in the top of the fifth. Wade plated his 13th run with SWB this season thanks to a single to center as a part of a three-hit day. Phillip Evans added on with a sacrifice fly.
Leading 4-1 in the bottom of the seventh, the IronPigs loaded the bases with two outs against MLB rehabber Albert Abreu, prompting manager Doug Davis to call upon Braden Bristo who battled Johan Camarago, striking him out on a breaking ball down and in to get out of the jam unscathed.
The RailRiders rode the 4-1 lead to the end as Jimmy Cordero recorded the final three outs in the ninth. With the Durham Bulls losing on Friday, the gap in the International League East closed to just a half a game with five days left in the regular season. Boyle (4-1) earned the win with reliever Bubby Rossman (3-3) taking the loss.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre has a chance to enter first place on Saturday in their 6:35 PM game at Coca-Cola Park, should they win and the Durham Bulls lose. Chi Chi González takes the ball for SWB's penultimate road game of the regular season. Game action can be heard with Adam Marco and Steve Granado on the call at 6:15 PM on the RailRiders Baseball Network.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 23, 2022
- McGuire, Bats Can't Complete Rally, Fall 6-3 to Nashville in Extras on Friday Night - Louisville Bats
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 5-4 WooSox Loss - Worcester Red Sox
- Sounds Clinch Division Title in Louisville - Nashville Sounds
- Mets' Bullpen Shines in 5-4 Syracuse Win Over Worcester on Friday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Big Innings Boost Omaha Over Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Hall Inches Closer to History, IronPigs lose - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Omaha Defeats Iowa Behind Complete Team Effort - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rodriguez Records Two Hits in Friday Night Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Remain in the Hunt with Win vs Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Casteel's Slam Supports Shuster's First Win as Stripers Clip Memphis - Gwinnett Stripers
- Jacksonville Surrenders Late Lead in Loss to Charlotte - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- RailRiders Take Game Over IronPigs, 4-1 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gomez Hits 38th Home Run, Sets New Cardinal Minor League Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Tides Top Bulls 6-3 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Beat the Jumbo Shrimp 7-5 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Rodríguez Solid, Saints Hit Three Solo Homers, End Eight Game Road Losing Streak 4-1 Over Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Wings Win Friday Night Showdown 5-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- Cowser Homers In Win To Tie Series Up In Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Outhit Rochester But Lose 5-2 on Friday Night - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 2022 Player Awards as OF Nathan Lukes Is Named Herd MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- Lukes Named 2022 Herd MVP as Team Announced End of Season Awards. - Buffalo Bisons
- Marlins Name Leblanc Jacksonville Team MVP - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Game Information: St. Paul Saints (69-75) vs. Indianapolis Indians (74-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bae to the Bigs: Pirates Select Contract of No. 11 Prospect Ji-Hwan Bae - Indianapolis Indians
- September 23 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Omaha Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Jake Burger activated off the Injured List - Charlotte Knights
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 23 at Buffalo - Rochester Red Wings
- Jared Oliva Named Indians September Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
- End of the Road, Saints Reach Final Homestand from September 26-28 - St. Paul Saints
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights: September 26-28 - Rochester Red Wings
- Rooker Hits Walk-Off Single in the 13th Inning to Earn 5-4 Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Storm Chasers Outlast I-Cubs in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- RailRiders Broadcaster Honored by Ballpark Digest
- Weissert Nabs Two International League Honors
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre sets 2023 home game times
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre announces 2022-23 Student MVP Program
- Minor League Baseball Teams Launch Marvel-Themed Team Identities