Sounds Clinch Division Title in Louisville
LOUISVILLE - The Nashville Sounds won a thrilling, extra inning affair to secure the International League West Division title, beating the Louisville Bats 6-3 in 10 innings on Friday night at Louisville Slugger Field.
Tied at 3-3 entering the 10th, back-to-back bunts by Sounds speedsters scored the go-ahead run. Matt Lipka singled on a bunt that put Andruw Monasterio at third. Esteury Ruiz then got a bunt down and Monasterio beat the throw home from the Bats pitcher, making it a 4-3 game.
Brice Turang then gave Nashville a couple more insurance runs, doubling to the left center field gap that brough home Lipka and Ruiz. It gave the Sounds a 6-3 advantage going to the bottom of the 10th.
With three outs to get, Trevor Kelley got the job done out of the bullpen. The right-hander walked one but struck out three-straight Bats to secure the win and begin the celebration in Louisville.
Nashville had a lead out of the gates early. Scoreless through three, the Sounds went ahead after a couple of singles in the fourth. Joey Wiemer's base knock moved Brice Turang to third. Turang then scored the first run of the night on a wild pitch.
Patrick Dorrian gave the Sounds some more cushion with a two-run homer. The infielder crushed a ball over the wall in right, scoring Wiemer and making it a 3-0 Sounds lead in the fourth. Despite the 3-0 lead, Louisville rallied in the eighth, drawing even after scoring a couple of runs in the eighth.
Caleb Boushley did his part but took a no decision in the start. He tossed his third quality start and set a season-high with eight strikeouts. The right-hander held the Bats to a run on three hits and two walks, totaling 92 pitches on the night.
Turang and Dorrian led the way offensively, both having a mulit-hit, multi-RBI night. Zack Brown took the win, pitching a scoreless ninth inning to force extras just down the road in his hometown.
Nashville wraps up their six-game series at Louisville on Saturday afternoon. Right-hander Ben Lively (2-5, 4.21) starts for Louisville. Nashville's starter is to be determined. The first pitch is scheduled for 12:05 p.m. central time.
Nashville has won the International League West Division for the first time (joined the International League in 2021). It is their 12th division title and first since the 2016 season.
Esteury Ruiz (0-for-4, R, RBI) came through with the go-ahead RBI fielder's choice in the 10th.
Caleb Boushley (6.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 8 K) set a new season-high eight strikeouts in a no decision. It was also his third-consecutive quality start.
Manager Rick Sweet has won his seventh division title and first since managing Colorado Springs in 2017. He won three division titles managing the Louisville Bats from 2008-10.
In 23 road games, Patrick Dorrian has 13 extra base hits, 7 homers and 17 RBI with the Sounds.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 23, 2022
- McGuire, Bats Can't Complete Rally, Fall 6-3 to Nashville in Extras on Friday Night - Louisville Bats
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 5-4 WooSox Loss - Worcester Red Sox
- Sounds Clinch Division Title in Louisville - Nashville Sounds
- Mets' Bullpen Shines in 5-4 Syracuse Win Over Worcester on Friday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Big Innings Boost Omaha Over Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Hall Inches Closer to History, IronPigs lose - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Omaha Defeats Iowa Behind Complete Team Effort - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rodriguez Records Two Hits in Friday Night Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Remain in the Hunt with Win vs Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Casteel's Slam Supports Shuster's First Win as Stripers Clip Memphis - Gwinnett Stripers
- Jacksonville Surrenders Late Lead in Loss to Charlotte - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- RailRiders Take Game Over IronPigs, 4-1 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gomez Hits 38th Home Run, Sets New Cardinal Minor League Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Tides Top Bulls 6-3 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Beat the Jumbo Shrimp 7-5 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Rodríguez Solid, Saints Hit Three Solo Homers, End Eight Game Road Losing Streak 4-1 Over Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Wings Win Friday Night Showdown 5-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- Cowser Homers In Win To Tie Series Up In Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Outhit Rochester But Lose 5-2 on Friday Night - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 2022 Player Awards as OF Nathan Lukes Is Named Herd MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- Lukes Named 2022 Herd MVP as Team Announced End of Season Awards. - Buffalo Bisons
- Marlins Name Leblanc Jacksonville Team MVP - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Game Information: St. Paul Saints (69-75) vs. Indianapolis Indians (74-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bae to the Bigs: Pirates Select Contract of No. 11 Prospect Ji-Hwan Bae - Indianapolis Indians
- September 23 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Omaha Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Jake Burger activated off the Injured List - Charlotte Knights
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 23 at Buffalo - Rochester Red Wings
- Jared Oliva Named Indians September Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
- End of the Road, Saints Reach Final Homestand from September 26-28 - St. Paul Saints
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights: September 26-28 - Rochester Red Wings
- Rooker Hits Walk-Off Single in the 13th Inning to Earn 5-4 Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Storm Chasers Outlast I-Cubs in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Nashville Sounds Announce 2024 Promotions Schedule
- Sounds Announce Single-Game Tickets to Go on Sale Saturday
- Sounds Fan Clubs Return for 2024 Season
- Nashville Sounds 2024 Coaching Staff Announced by Milwaukee Brewers
- Sounds to Host Charity Golf Scramble at Hermitage Golf Course