Bisons Outhit Rochester But Lose 5-2 on Friday Night
BUFFALO, NY - The Buffalo Bisons outhit the Rochester Red Wings but could not keep pace with their Thruway rival in 5-2 loss on Friday night at Sahlen Field.
Rochester struck first for the first time in the series thanks to a DJ Peters sacrifice fly that scored Jack Dunn in the top of the second inning. The RBI was Peters third in Triple-A to give the Red Wings a 1-0 lead. It came against starter Yosver Zulueta who worked the first two innings for Buffalo and struck out a pair while allowing just two hits and one run.
They would add four more runs in the top of the sixth inning to extend their lead to 5-0. All four runs were charged to Bisons reliever Adrian Hernandez who faced seven batters in the inning. Adrian Sanchez drove home two runs with a double to left field that capped the Red Wings scoring.
The Bisons would try and chip away with solo runs in each of the sixth and seventh innings, respectively. Addison Barger collected a hit for the fourth straight game and scored Buffalo's first run to draw within 5-1 in the sixth. While a wild pitch by Alberto Baldonado allowed Rafael Lantigua to score, making it 5-2 in the bottom of the seventh.
Eric Yardley and Julian Merryweather combined to go 2.2 innings of scoreless relief for the Bisons, while Matt Gage worked the top of the ninth. Gage was named the team's Comeback Player of the Year during the game as part of the end of season awards.
Nathan Lukes was announced as the Bisons Most Valuable Player, with Casey Lawrence being honored as the Pitcher of the Year. Chavez Young received the team's Community Service Award, with Shaun Anderson being named the Most Inspirational Player and Otto Lopez collecting the Hometown Hero Award.
The Bisons and Red Wings continue their series on Saturday afternoon with a 1:05 p.m. first pitch at Sahlen Field.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 23, 2022
- McGuire, Bats Can't Complete Rally, Fall 6-3 to Nashville in Extras on Friday Night - Louisville Bats
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 5-4 WooSox Loss - Worcester Red Sox
- Sounds Clinch Division Title in Louisville - Nashville Sounds
- Mets' Bullpen Shines in 5-4 Syracuse Win Over Worcester on Friday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Big Innings Boost Omaha Over Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Hall Inches Closer to History, IronPigs lose - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Omaha Defeats Iowa Behind Complete Team Effort - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rodriguez Records Two Hits in Friday Night Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Remain in the Hunt with Win vs Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Casteel's Slam Supports Shuster's First Win as Stripers Clip Memphis - Gwinnett Stripers
- Jacksonville Surrenders Late Lead in Loss to Charlotte - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- RailRiders Take Game Over IronPigs, 4-1 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gomez Hits 38th Home Run, Sets New Cardinal Minor League Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Tides Top Bulls 6-3 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Beat the Jumbo Shrimp 7-5 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Rodríguez Solid, Saints Hit Three Solo Homers, End Eight Game Road Losing Streak 4-1 Over Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Wings Win Friday Night Showdown 5-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- Cowser Homers In Win To Tie Series Up In Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Outhit Rochester But Lose 5-2 on Friday Night - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 2022 Player Awards as OF Nathan Lukes Is Named Herd MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- Lukes Named 2022 Herd MVP as Team Announced End of Season Awards. - Buffalo Bisons
- Marlins Name Leblanc Jacksonville Team MVP - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Game Information: St. Paul Saints (69-75) vs. Indianapolis Indians (74-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bae to the Bigs: Pirates Select Contract of No. 11 Prospect Ji-Hwan Bae - Indianapolis Indians
- September 23 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Omaha Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Jake Burger activated off the Injured List - Charlotte Knights
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 23 at Buffalo - Rochester Red Wings
- Jared Oliva Named Indians September Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
- End of the Road, Saints Reach Final Homestand from September 26-28 - St. Paul Saints
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights: September 26-28 - Rochester Red Wings
- Rooker Hits Walk-Off Single in the 13th Inning to Earn 5-4 Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Storm Chasers Outlast I-Cubs in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Bisons Stories
- Blue Jays Name Casey Candaele Bisons Manager for 2023 Season
- It's "Black Friday" All Week Long When You Shop Bisons.com
- Bisons 2023 Season Tickets, Ticket Packages & Group Party Areas Now on Sale
- Bisons Unveil Home Game Times for 2023 Season
- Bisons Unveil New Logo Specially Designed for Marvel's Defenders of the Diamond Series