Rodriguez Records Two Hits in Friday Night Loss
INDIANAPOLIS - Endy Rodriguez recorded his third multi-hit performance in just four Triple-A games as the Indianapolis Indians dropped their first game of the series to the St. Paul Saints on Friday night at Victory Field, 4-1.
The Saints (70-75) got on the board with solo home runs by Michael Helman and John Andreoli off starter Peter Solomon (L, 0-1) in the top of the first inning and never looked back. They continued the scoring in the third and fourth innings with a run-scoring groundout and additional home run by Andrew Bechtold, respectively.
Meanwhile, St. Paul starter Dereck Rodriguez (W, 8-4) took a no-hitter into the fifth inning until Aaron Shackelford singled with two outs for his first Triple-A hit. The right-hander walked three and struck out four in 5.0 innings.
The Indians (74-71) were inches away from tying the game with Blake Sabol's hot bat in the bottom of the eighth inning. Tucupita Marcano took a one-out walk and back-to-back singles by Endy Rodriguez and Malcom Nunez loaded the bases for the left-handed slugger. Sabol rocked the second pitch of his at-bat high into the sky, but it was caught against the right-field wall by Andreoli to only plate one.
Indianapolis' bullpen did not surrender a run after Solomon exited the game. John O'Reilly, Dillon Peters, Junior Fernandez and Nick Mears combined for 5.1 scoreless innings with three hits allowed, two walks and five strikeouts.
Brad Peacock (S, 14) sat the final three Indians batters down in order to clinch St. Paul's first win of the series.
Tomorrow, the Indians and Saints meet for the Victory Field season finale and a 6:35 PM ET Saturday first pitch. Taking the mound for his Indianapolis debut will be RHP Tyler Beede (0-0, -.--), who was outrighted by Pittsburgh on Sept. 18. Countering for St. Paul is RHP Ariel Jurado (2-2, 3.54).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 23, 2022
- McGuire, Bats Can't Complete Rally, Fall 6-3 to Nashville in Extras on Friday Night - Louisville Bats
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 5-4 WooSox Loss - Worcester Red Sox
- Sounds Clinch Division Title in Louisville - Nashville Sounds
- Mets' Bullpen Shines in 5-4 Syracuse Win Over Worcester on Friday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Big Innings Boost Omaha Over Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Hall Inches Closer to History, IronPigs lose - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Omaha Defeats Iowa Behind Complete Team Effort - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rodriguez Records Two Hits in Friday Night Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Remain in the Hunt with Win vs Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Casteel's Slam Supports Shuster's First Win as Stripers Clip Memphis - Gwinnett Stripers
- Jacksonville Surrenders Late Lead in Loss to Charlotte - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- RailRiders Take Game Over IronPigs, 4-1 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gomez Hits 38th Home Run, Sets New Cardinal Minor League Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Tides Top Bulls 6-3 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Beat the Jumbo Shrimp 7-5 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Rodríguez Solid, Saints Hit Three Solo Homers, End Eight Game Road Losing Streak 4-1 Over Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Wings Win Friday Night Showdown 5-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- Cowser Homers In Win To Tie Series Up In Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Outhit Rochester But Lose 5-2 on Friday Night - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 2022 Player Awards as OF Nathan Lukes Is Named Herd MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- Lukes Named 2022 Herd MVP as Team Announced End of Season Awards. - Buffalo Bisons
- Marlins Name Leblanc Jacksonville Team MVP - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Game Information: St. Paul Saints (69-75) vs. Indianapolis Indians (74-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bae to the Bigs: Pirates Select Contract of No. 11 Prospect Ji-Hwan Bae - Indianapolis Indians
- September 23 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Omaha Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Jake Burger activated off the Injured List - Charlotte Knights
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 23 at Buffalo - Rochester Red Wings
- Jared Oliva Named Indians September Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
- End of the Road, Saints Reach Final Homestand from September 26-28 - St. Paul Saints
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights: September 26-28 - Rochester Red Wings
- Rooker Hits Walk-Off Single in the 13th Inning to Earn 5-4 Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Storm Chasers Outlast I-Cubs in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Indians 2024 Single-Game Tickets on Sale Today
- Indians Unveil 2024 Season Promotional Schedule
- Offseason Update: Rule 5 Draft, Minor League Signings Impact Potential 2024 Indians Roster
- Indians Announce Daily Deals for 2024 Season
- Indians to Hold Game Day Employee Open Interviews for 2024 Season