Rodríguez Solid, Saints Hit Three Solo Homers, End Eight Game Road Losing Streak 4-1 Over Indianapolis
INDIANAPOLIS, IN - All it took for the St. Paul Saints to end their eight-game road losing streak was superb pitching, three solo homers, and one fly ball that just missed getting over the wall. The Saints got all of that in a 4-1 victory over the Indianapolis Indians on Friday night at Victory Field. The eight-game road losing streak was one shy of their franchise record of nine from May 10-20, 2022.
For the 10th time this season the Saints led off the game with a home run as Michael Helman hit a solo homer to left, his 13th of the season and fourth leadoff homer of the season, making it 1-0. Three batters later John Andreoli made it 2-0 with a solo homer to left, his 12th with the Saints and 14th of the season, making it 2-0.
Dereck Rodríguez made his first start for the Saints since his gutty extra innings performance with the Minnesota Twins against Cleveland. After retiring the side in order in the first, he struggled with his control in the second, walking the first two hitters. With one out, Rodríguez got a tailor-made double play to short, but Wander Javier booted it, and his error loaded the bases. That wasn't an issue for Rodríguez who struck out Mason Martin and got Aaron Shackelford to fly out to end the inning.
The Saints didn't collect a hit in the third, but still scored a run. With one out Roy Morales was hit by a pitch. Ryan Jeffers then walked. The two pulled off a double steal. The steal of second by Jeffers was his first professional stolen base. A groundout by Andreoli scored Morales putting the Saints up 3-0.
A third solo homer gave the Saints a 4-0 lead as Andrew Bechtold hit his third of the season in the top of the fourth.
Rodríguez entered the fifth inning having retired eight straight and he extended that to 10 in a row by getting the first two hitters. He gave up a two-out hit to Shackelford and walked Hoy Park. A fly out by Tucupita Marcano ended the inning and Rodríguez' night. He went 5.0 shutout allowing one hit while walking three and striking out four.
The Indians made it interesting in the bottom of the eighth loading the bases with one out. With one out, Marcano walked, Endy Rodriguez reached on a bunt single, and Malcom Nunez singled to left. Blake Sabol nearly tied it, but his fly ball to right sent Andreoli right up against the wall for a sacrifice fly scoring Marcano to make it 4-1. Michael Feliz struck out Travis Swaggerty to end the inning.
Jeffers finished 1-4 with a walk and stolen base in his seventh Major League rehab game.
The same two teams meet in the finale of the six-game series on Saturday night at 5:35 p.m. (CT). The Saints send RHP Ariel Jurado (2-2, 3.54) and the Indians are TBA. The game can be seen on MiLB.TV and heard on KFAN Plus, 96.7 FM.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 23, 2022
- McGuire, Bats Can't Complete Rally, Fall 6-3 to Nashville in Extras on Friday Night - Louisville Bats
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 5-4 WooSox Loss - Worcester Red Sox
- Sounds Clinch Division Title in Louisville - Nashville Sounds
- Mets' Bullpen Shines in 5-4 Syracuse Win Over Worcester on Friday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Big Innings Boost Omaha Over Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Hall Inches Closer to History, IronPigs lose - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Omaha Defeats Iowa Behind Complete Team Effort - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rodriguez Records Two Hits in Friday Night Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Remain in the Hunt with Win vs Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Casteel's Slam Supports Shuster's First Win as Stripers Clip Memphis - Gwinnett Stripers
- Jacksonville Surrenders Late Lead in Loss to Charlotte - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- RailRiders Take Game Over IronPigs, 4-1 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gomez Hits 38th Home Run, Sets New Cardinal Minor League Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Tides Top Bulls 6-3 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Beat the Jumbo Shrimp 7-5 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Rodríguez Solid, Saints Hit Three Solo Homers, End Eight Game Road Losing Streak 4-1 Over Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Wings Win Friday Night Showdown 5-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- Cowser Homers In Win To Tie Series Up In Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Outhit Rochester But Lose 5-2 on Friday Night - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 2022 Player Awards as OF Nathan Lukes Is Named Herd MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- Lukes Named 2022 Herd MVP as Team Announced End of Season Awards. - Buffalo Bisons
- Marlins Name Leblanc Jacksonville Team MVP - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Game Information: St. Paul Saints (69-75) vs. Indianapolis Indians (74-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bae to the Bigs: Pirates Select Contract of No. 11 Prospect Ji-Hwan Bae - Indianapolis Indians
- September 23 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Omaha Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Jake Burger activated off the Injured List - Charlotte Knights
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 23 at Buffalo - Rochester Red Wings
- Jared Oliva Named Indians September Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
- End of the Road, Saints Reach Final Homestand from September 26-28 - St. Paul Saints
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights: September 26-28 - Rochester Red Wings
- Rooker Hits Walk-Off Single in the 13th Inning to Earn 5-4 Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Storm Chasers Outlast I-Cubs in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- You Take the Good, You Take the Bad and There You Have the Saints Marvel-Inspired Logo
- Moving on Up: Saints Promote Sierra Bailey to Assistant General Manager
- GLOW Holiday Festival Moves to CHS Field for Year Three, November 23-January 1
- Saints End 2022 on Five-Game Win Streak, Close out Season with 3-1 Win over Storm Chasers
- Saints Blow Game Open with Seven Run Eighth in 10-3 Victory over Storm Chasers