Cowser Homers In Win To Tie Series Up In Durham
DURHAM, NC --- The Norfolk Tides (73-72) defeated the Durham Bulls (81-64), 6-3, Friday at Durham Bulls Athletic Park. The win ties the series up at 2-2 and Norfolk has won 19 of their last 26 games.
Durham scored three runs in the third inning, with help from back-to-back home runs by Ruben Cardenas and Vidal Brujan. Those would be the only runs Tides starter Chris Vallimont allowed, where he ended up lasting 6.2 innings and gave up five hits and two walks while striking out seven.
Norfolk tied the game in the top of the sixth, which included two RBI singles by Jordan Westburg and Tyler Nevin. Westburg then hit the go-ahead RBI in the seventh to make it 4-3. The Tides' final two runs came in the eighth when Colton Cowser led the inning off with a home run and was later followed by Cadyn Grenier capping the score at 6-3 with an RBI double.
Nick Vespi recorded his eighth save of the season to seal the win. Game five of the series set for tomorrow night with first pitch at 6:35 p.m. The Tides will throw LHP Bruce Zimmermann (5-2, 3.71), while Durham has not announced a starter.
WESTBURG WATCH: Tonight, Jordan Westburg went 3-for-5 with a run and an RBI...Westburg has 391 plate appeances this season, needing 14 more to qualify as an International League leader (2.8 PA per game)...if he qualifies, his current .526 slugging will rank third in Orioles affiliate franchise history (Ryan Mountcastle  and Kyle Stowers , .527), while his OPS (.893) would rank second behind Jeff Fiorentino (2009, .896)...Westburg hasn't had a day off since July 29 at Memphis (48 games).
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 23, 2022
- McGuire, Bats Can't Complete Rally, Fall 6-3 to Nashville in Extras on Friday Night - Louisville Bats
- Eovaldi Makes Rehab Appearance in 5-4 WooSox Loss - Worcester Red Sox
- Sounds Clinch Division Title in Louisville - Nashville Sounds
- Mets' Bullpen Shines in 5-4 Syracuse Win Over Worcester on Friday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Big Innings Boost Omaha Over Iowa - Iowa Cubs
- Hall Inches Closer to History, IronPigs lose - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Omaha Defeats Iowa Behind Complete Team Effort - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Rodriguez Records Two Hits in Friday Night Loss - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Remain in the Hunt with Win vs Columbus - Toledo Mud Hens
- Casteel's Slam Supports Shuster's First Win as Stripers Clip Memphis - Gwinnett Stripers
- Jacksonville Surrenders Late Lead in Loss to Charlotte - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- RailRiders Take Game Over IronPigs, 4-1 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Gomez Hits 38th Home Run, Sets New Cardinal Minor League Record - Memphis Redbirds
- Tides Top Bulls 6-3 - Durham Bulls
- Knights Beat the Jumbo Shrimp 7-5 on Friday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Rodríguez Solid, Saints Hit Three Solo Homers, End Eight Game Road Losing Streak 4-1 Over Indianapolis - St. Paul Saints
- Wings Win Friday Night Showdown 5-2 - Rochester Red Wings
- Cowser Homers In Win To Tie Series Up In Durham - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Outhit Rochester But Lose 5-2 on Friday Night - Buffalo Bisons
- Bisons Announce 2022 Player Awards as OF Nathan Lukes Is Named Herd MVP - Buffalo Bisons
- Lukes Named 2022 Herd MVP as Team Announced End of Season Awards. - Buffalo Bisons
- Marlins Name Leblanc Jacksonville Team MVP - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Game Information: St. Paul Saints (69-75) vs. Indianapolis Indians (74-70) - Indianapolis Indians
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bae to the Bigs: Pirates Select Contract of No. 11 Prospect Ji-Hwan Bae - Indianapolis Indians
- September 23 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs at Omaha Storm Chasers - Iowa Cubs
- Jake Burger activated off the Injured List - Charlotte Knights
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 23 at Buffalo - Rochester Red Wings
- Jared Oliva Named Indians September Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
- End of the Road, Saints Reach Final Homestand from September 26-28 - St. Paul Saints
- Rochester Red Wings Homestand Highlights: September 26-28 - Rochester Red Wings
- Rooker Hits Walk-Off Single in the 13th Inning to Earn 5-4 Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Storm Chasers Outlast I-Cubs in Extras - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.