South Carolina Signs Defender Jesse Lees
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - The South Carolina Stingrays, proud ECHL affiliate of the NHL's Washington Capitals and AHL's Hershey Bears, announced the signing of defenseman Jesse Lees to a standard professional contract Friday. Lees recently finished his fourth season at Mount Royal University, where he totaled 18 points on seven goals and 11 assists in 16 games.
The 24-year-old played a total of 95 games during his college career and accounted for 78 points (34 goals, 44 assists). In addition, Lees had eight points in 15 playoff games during the last four seasons on three goals and five assists.
Prior to attending school, Lees spent parts of five seasons in the Western Hockey League (WHL) with the Prince Albert Raiders and Kelowna Rockets. The Calgary, Alberta native posted a total of 162 points in 294 games on 55 goals and 107 assists as well as a +48 rating. Lees also saw action in 24 WHL postseason contests, scoring eight points on three goals and five assists.
His best junior season came in 2015-16 with Prince Albert when he piled up 58 points on 23 goals and 35 assists during 71 games while serving as one of the team's alternate captains.
The blueliner measures 6-feet, 196 pounds and is expected to wear No. 8 for South Carolina.
The Stingrays are home at the North Charleston Coliseum for two games this weekend, beginning with a battle against the Atlanta Gladiators on Saturday at 6:05 p.m. On Sunday, the Rays will face-off with the Worcester Railers at 3:05.
- Tickets for all of the team's upcoming 2019-20 home contests are on sale now via Ticketmaster.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 21, 2020
- Windsor's 44-Save Effort Not Enough for Solar Bears in 3-2 Loss to Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Craggs Cracks IceMen, 'Blades Win 6-3 - Florida Everblades
- Oilers Sink Americans at Allen Event Center Thanks to Great Second Period - Tulsa Oilers
- Swamp Rabbits Unlucky in Loss to Worcester - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Outlast Solar Bears to Add Playoff Pressure - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Trounce Beast in Friday Night Tilt - Brampton Beast
- Plouffe Four Point Night Hands Indy Win over Wings - Indy Fuel
- Two Third Period Goals Help K-Wings Earn a Point in OT Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Use Stout Defense to Blank Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cyclones Stymie Nailers, 3-0 - Wheeling Nailers
- Edwardh's Hat Trick Powers Thunder over Beast - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Win 8th Consecutive Thanks to 3 Early Strikes - Reading Royals
- Railers Find Solution in Third Period for 4-2 Victory over Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Not Successful in Reading, Fall 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Forward Jefferson Dahl Re-Joins Steelheads, Signs to Play this Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Sign Danny Hanlon - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 21 - ECHL
- Steelheads Sign Goaltender Austin Lotz Ahead of Tonight's Game - Idaho Steelheads
- Penguins Reassign Knott to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- South Carolina Signs Defender Jesse Lees - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: 'Blades Face IceMen, Continue Four-Game Week - Florida Everblades
- Game Notes: at Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Americans Host Tulsa Tonight on Mascot Night in Allen - Allen Americans
- Pachal Reassigned to Komets - Fort Wayne Komets
- Tip a Grizz Charity Event Set for March 3rd - Utah Grizzlies
- Finalists Revealed for Captain Joel Barnes Community Service Award - Maine Mariners
- Steve Whitney Re-Assigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals-Growlers Season Series Adds New Chapter Friday at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Walleye Fall Short After Cyclones Rally in Third Period - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.