Swamp Rabbits Unlucky in Loss to Worcester
GREENVILLE, S.C. - Despite the Greenville Swamp Rabbits claiming the lead for stretches on Friday night, the Worcester Railers came back with a four-goal third period full of lucky bounces that led the road team to a 4-2 victory over the 'Bits at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
The Railers took the lead just over seven minutes into the third period after a hard dump-in that went wide of the net from Nic Pierog and deflected off the end boards and straight into the net off of goaltender Jeremy Helvig, stunning the Greenville crowd.
Ben Thomson added to the Railers' lead at the 15:50 mark of the third period with a chip-in over a sprawling Helvig that flew into a wide-open Greenville net, scoring the game-winning goal and making it 3-1.
That goal eventually stood as the game-winner.
Michael Pelech put the Swamp Rabbits back within one twenty-four seconds later with a shot off a feed from Luke Ripley that made it past Buitenhuis to make the score 3-2.
The Railers tacked on an insurance goal with a slap shot from Myles McGurty at the blue line that redirected past Helvig into the net at the 18:26 mark of the third period.
The first two periods back at home after two weeks away saw neither team land on the scoreboard, but both teams came out flying in a penalty-filled second period.
Despite the nine penalties combined between the Greenville and Worcester in the second, the Swamp Rabbits were the only ones able to capitalize. At the 4:11 mark of the second period, Eddie Matsushima took a slashing penalty, and Matt Marcinew made him pay for it a minute later with a shot that soared above the glove of Evan Buitenhuis and into the net.
Mike Monfredo and Kamerin Nault picked up the assists.
The Railers and Swamp Rabbits traded penalties for the rest of the period, but the Swamp Rabbits were able to come away with the only tally and the game remained 1-0 after forty minutes.
Drew Callin tied it up for the Railers at the 4:37 mark of the third period as the puck took a weird bounce on the ice and slipped through the pads of Helvig.
Worcester's win snapped a nine-game losing streak.
The Swamp Rabbits look to bounce back in a rematch game against the Railers on Saturday, February 22 at the Bon Secours Wellness Arena for a special 7:35 p.m. puck drop. Tickets are available at SwampRabbits.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 21, 2020
- Windsor's 44-Save Effort Not Enough for Solar Bears in 3-2 Loss to Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Craggs Cracks IceMen, 'Blades Win 6-3 - Florida Everblades
- Oilers Sink Americans at Allen Event Center Thanks to Great Second Period - Tulsa Oilers
- Swamp Rabbits Unlucky in Loss to Worcester - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Outlast Solar Bears to Add Playoff Pressure - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Trounce Beast in Friday Night Tilt - Brampton Beast
- Plouffe Four Point Night Hands Indy Win over Wings - Indy Fuel
- Two Third Period Goals Help K-Wings Earn a Point in OT Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Use Stout Defense to Blank Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cyclones Stymie Nailers, 3-0 - Wheeling Nailers
- Edwardh's Hat Trick Powers Thunder over Beast - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Win 8th Consecutive Thanks to 3 Early Strikes - Reading Royals
- Railers Find Solution in Third Period for 4-2 Victory over Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Not Successful in Reading, Fall 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Forward Jefferson Dahl Re-Joins Steelheads, Signs to Play this Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Sign Danny Hanlon - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 21 - ECHL
- Steelheads Sign Goaltender Austin Lotz Ahead of Tonight's Game - Idaho Steelheads
- Penguins Reassign Knott to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- South Carolina Signs Defender Jesse Lees - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: 'Blades Face IceMen, Continue Four-Game Week - Florida Everblades
- Game Notes: at Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Americans Host Tulsa Tonight on Mascot Night in Allen - Allen Americans
- Pachal Reassigned to Komets - Fort Wayne Komets
- Tip a Grizz Charity Event Set for March 3rd - Utah Grizzlies
- Finalists Revealed for Captain Joel Barnes Community Service Award - Maine Mariners
- Steve Whitney Re-Assigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals-Growlers Season Series Adds New Chapter Friday at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Walleye Fall Short After Cyclones Rally in Third Period - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Swamp Rabbits Release 2020 Protected List
- Spire Hockey South Acquires Majority Stake in Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Spire Motorsports to Showcase Greenville Swamp Rabbits, Bon Secours, in NASCAR Cup Series Darlington Doubleheader
- Swamp Rabbits Release 2020-21 Home Schedule
- Liam Pecararo Scores 2019-20 ECHL Goal of the Year