Growlers Not Successful in Reading, Fall 4-3
The Newfoundland Growlers fell 4-3 to the Reading Royals Friday night at Santander Arena. The loss marked the first time in franchise history where the Growlers have lost four games in a row.
Matthew Strome opened the scoring just five minutes into the first period beating Growlers goalie Parker Gahagen blocker side to give the Reading Royals a 1-0 lead. Matt Bradley evened up the score just four minutes later, Trent Bourque, who was making his Growlers debut, registered an assist on the play.
Reading added two more goals in the first period from Frank DiChaiara and Braden Low to give them a 3-1 lead heading into the second period.
Reading won the second period as Hayden Hodgson scored the lone goal in the frame to give the Royals a 3 goal advantage.
The Growlers pushed back late in the third period when Justin Brazeau and Zach O'Brien put goals on the board but the Newfoundland squad ran out of time to fall 4-3 to the Royals, who have now won eight straight games.
Justin Brazeau recorded a goal and an assist.
Mark Tremaine, Trent Bourque and Robert Powers made their Growlers debut.
The three stars were 3 -H. Hodgson (REA), 2 - M. Strome (REA) and 1 - B. Low (REA)
The Newfoundland Growlers continue their five-game road trip beginning Sunday afternoon at the Cross Insurance Arena for a match against the Maine Mariners, ECHL affiliate of the New York Rangers. Puck drop is 4:30 p.m. Newfoundland time. Fans can tune into Chris Ballard's call of the game online at mixlr.com/nlgrowlers.
Newfoundland Growlers (36-15-0-1) at Reading Royals (31-14-5-0)
Friday, February 21 - Santander Arena - Reading, PA
V-H # Per Team Time Goals Assists Type On Ice (+/-)
0 - 1 1 1st REA 5:19 M. Strome (6) C. Mackin, L. Zerter-Gossage V 4 14 15 17 44 H 4 19 44 75 81
1 - 1 2 1st NFL 9:18 M. Bradley (9) T. Bourque V 3 8 18 27 45 H 8 9 12 18 24
1 - 2 3 1st REA 9:33 F. DiChiara (17) G. Cecere, P. Laberge V 3 8 18 27 45 H 3 6 12 21 23
1 - 3 4 1st REA 18:43 B. Low (16) V 3 8 18 27 45 H 9 16 19 23 24
1 - 4 5 2nd REA 13:13 H. Hodgson (9) V 3 14 15 17 18 H 3 6 16 17 18
2 - 4 6 3rd NFL 2:44 J. Brazeau (19) V 6 17 27 28 48 H 4 19 21 44 81
3 - 4 7 3rd NFL 19:50 Z. O'Brien (18) J. Brazeau, B. Ferguson V 3 10 14 17 22 27 H 3 9 12 18 19
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 21, 2020
- Windsor's 44-Save Effort Not Enough for Solar Bears in 3-2 Loss to Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Craggs Cracks IceMen, 'Blades Win 6-3 - Florida Everblades
- Oilers Sink Americans at Allen Event Center Thanks to Great Second Period - Tulsa Oilers
- Swamp Rabbits Unlucky in Loss to Worcester - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Outlast Solar Bears to Add Playoff Pressure - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Trounce Beast in Friday Night Tilt - Brampton Beast
- Plouffe Four Point Night Hands Indy Win over Wings - Indy Fuel
- Two Third Period Goals Help K-Wings Earn a Point in OT Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Use Stout Defense to Blank Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cyclones Stymie Nailers, 3-0 - Wheeling Nailers
- Edwardh's Hat Trick Powers Thunder over Beast - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Win 8th Consecutive Thanks to 3 Early Strikes - Reading Royals
- Railers Find Solution in Third Period for 4-2 Victory over Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Not Successful in Reading, Fall 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Forward Jefferson Dahl Re-Joins Steelheads, Signs to Play this Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Sign Danny Hanlon - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 21 - ECHL
- Steelheads Sign Goaltender Austin Lotz Ahead of Tonight's Game - Idaho Steelheads
- Penguins Reassign Knott to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- South Carolina Signs Defender Jesse Lees - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: 'Blades Face IceMen, Continue Four-Game Week - Florida Everblades
- Game Notes: at Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Americans Host Tulsa Tonight on Mascot Night in Allen - Allen Americans
- Pachal Reassigned to Komets - Fort Wayne Komets
- Tip a Grizz Charity Event Set for March 3rd - Utah Grizzlies
- Finalists Revealed for Captain Joel Barnes Community Service Award - Maine Mariners
- Steve Whitney Re-Assigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals-Growlers Season Series Adds New Chapter Friday at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Walleye Fall Short After Cyclones Rally in Third Period - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.