Edwardh's Hat Trick Powers Thunder over Beast
GLENS FALLS, NY - John Edwardh's three-goal performance helped lead the Adirondack Thunder to a 6-1 victory over the Brampton Beast on Friday night at Cool Insuring Arena. 3,164 came to Glens Falls to witness the Thunder extend their point streak to four straight games.
Brampton converted on a powerplay when Nikita Popugaev was called for tripping at 6:40. The puck was put on goal by Anthony Nigro and batted out of mid-air by Nathan Todd for his 11th of the season.
Adirondack went on to score three unanswered goals in the second period. The first one coming on a great individual effort after Casey Pierro-Zabotel set up John Edwardh on a semi-breakaway. Edwardh avoided two Beast defenders for and backhanded the puck past Alex Dubeau at 3:59.
Matt Salhany missed a wide-open net but followed up by circling the offensive zone and ripping a shot past Dubeau to give Adirondack a 2-1 lead at 7:30.
On a delayed penalty, John Edwardh took a shot from the far circle to put the Thunder up 3-1 at 11:34. Matt Salhany and Charlie Curti picked up the helpers. This would be the final goal allowed by Dubeau as Andrew D'Agostini came into the game in relief.
The Thunder continued their offensive effort early on in the third as they were shorthanded. Matt Salhany found himself on a breakaway and roofed the puck over D'Agostini for his second of the game just 1:33 into the period.
At 5:33, Adirondack went up a man on the powerplay following a Jordan Henry roughing penalty. Mike Szmatula wound up a slapshot from the slot and beat D'Agostini to make it 5-1 for his 19th of the season. Ludvig Larsson and Charlie Curti recorded the assists at 6:51.
Edwardh capped off his hat trick with a 4-on-4 goal at 15:03. He raced into the offensive zone, dangled past Nathan Todd and beat D'Agostini on the backhand for his third of the game and 16th of the year.
The Thunder outshot the Beast 36-25. Eamon McAdam notched his 13th win of the season in Adirondack's victory. The Thunder finished the game 1-for-6 on the powerplay and killed 5-of-6 Beast man advantage opportunities.
The Thunder continue their weekend at home against the Maine Mariners tomorrow night for Hall of Fame Night. drop is scheduled for 7:00pm.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 21, 2020
- Windsor's 44-Save Effort Not Enough for Solar Bears in 3-2 Loss to Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- Craggs Cracks IceMen, 'Blades Win 6-3 - Florida Everblades
- Oilers Sink Americans at Allen Event Center Thanks to Great Second Period - Tulsa Oilers
- Swamp Rabbits Unlucky in Loss to Worcester - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Glads Outlast Solar Bears to Add Playoff Pressure - Atlanta Gladiators
- Thunder Trounce Beast in Friday Night Tilt - Brampton Beast
- Plouffe Four Point Night Hands Indy Win over Wings - Indy Fuel
- Two Third Period Goals Help K-Wings Earn a Point in OT Loss - Kalamazoo Wings
- Cyclones Use Stout Defense to Blank Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cyclones Stymie Nailers, 3-0 - Wheeling Nailers
- Edwardh's Hat Trick Powers Thunder over Beast - Adirondack Thunder
- Royals Win 8th Consecutive Thanks to 3 Early Strikes - Reading Royals
- Railers Find Solution in Third Period for 4-2 Victory over Greenville - Worcester Railers HC
- Growlers Not Successful in Reading, Fall 4-3 - Newfoundland Growlers
- Forward Jefferson Dahl Re-Joins Steelheads, Signs to Play this Weekend - Idaho Steelheads
- Solar Bears Sign Danny Hanlon - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Solar Bears at Gladiators - Orlando Solar Bears
- ECHL Transactions - February 21 - ECHL
- Steelheads Sign Goaltender Austin Lotz Ahead of Tonight's Game - Idaho Steelheads
- Penguins Reassign Knott to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wheeling Nailers
- South Carolina Signs Defender Jesse Lees - South Carolina Stingrays
- Preview: 'Blades Face IceMen, Continue Four-Game Week - Florida Everblades
- Game Notes: at Idaho - Rapid City Rush
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Wheeling Nailers - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Americans Host Tulsa Tonight on Mascot Night in Allen - Allen Americans
- Pachal Reassigned to Komets - Fort Wayne Komets
- Tip a Grizz Charity Event Set for March 3rd - Utah Grizzlies
- Finalists Revealed for Captain Joel Barnes Community Service Award - Maine Mariners
- Steve Whitney Re-Assigned to Stingrays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Royals-Growlers Season Series Adds New Chapter Friday at Santander Arena - Reading Royals
- Walleye Fall Short After Cyclones Rally in Third Period - Toledo Walleye
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Adirondack Thunder Stories
- Thunder Acquire Defenseman Ivan Chukarov from Nailers
- Thunder Announce Guidelines for 2021-22 Home Games
- Adirondack Thunder Announce Initial 2021-22 Training Camp Roster
- Thunder Add Rookie D-Man Greg DiTomaso
- Guidelines for Fans Attending 2021-22 Training Camp