Rocket Overpower Comets
Utica, NY - The Utica Comets spotted Laval a 5-0 lead before falling 5-2 to the Rocket Saturday night at the Adirondack Bank Center. Dyson Stevenson and Jonah Gadjovich scored for Utica. Michael DiPietro got the start in goal, making five saves on nine shots before being replaced by Jake Kielly, who made 11 saves.
Alexandre Alain struck first for Laval on the power play 11:09 into the first period. Jake Lucchini doubled the lead with 4:14 to go in the first, depositing a rebound past DiPietro.
Laurent Dauphin added to Laval's lead 52 seconds into the second period with another power play goal. Yannick Veilleux continued the scoring run 1:11 later after a turnover in the Comets defensive zone. Kielly replaced DiPietro in net following the goal. Dauphin scored his second of the night on a breakaway with 14:10 to go in the second on a breakaway.
Stevenson ended Laval's shutout bid 3:35 into the third, tipping a shot from Matt Petgrave. Gadjovich cut the lead to 5-2 with 6:16 to go in regulation, redirecting a pass from Carter Camper. The Comets threw everything they had in a comeback attempt, but they were thwarted by McNiven and the Rocket defense.
The Comets are back in action Wednesday night on the road against the Rochester Americans. Puck drop is at 7:05 p.m. The game can be heard on 94.9 KROCK and viewed on AHLTV.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 29, 2020
- Big First Period Propels Milwaukee to 4-2 Win over Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- Stars Net Four Unanswered Goals to Top Griffins 4-2 - Texas Stars
- Admirals Fly Higher Than Eagles - Milwaukee Admirals
- Heat Shut out Saturday against Iowa - Stockton Heat
- Amerks Get Doubled up by Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Andreoff Scores Again as Phantoms Finish Season 3-1 at Home against Charlotte - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- P-Bruins Collect Seventh Consecutive Win, Defeat Springfield Thunderbirds, 3-1 - Providence Bruins
- Schilkey gets Bridgeport's only goal in front of 6,363 fans - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Gettinger Powers Wolf Pack to 3-1 Win - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Penguins Can't Leap Past Bears and Lose, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sprong Shines in Debut, Bears Blast Pens 5-1 - Hershey Bears
- Crunch Down Amerks, 4-2 - Syracuse Crunch
- T-Birds Unable to Slow Bruins' Hot Streak - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Rocket Overpower Comets - Utica Comets
- Gawanke Lifts Moose over Chicago in OT - Manitoba Moose
- Devils Take Out Marlies, 5-4 - Binghamton Devils
- Churros Earn Point in Overtime Loss - San Jose Barracuda
- Comtois Tallies OT Winner vs. San Jose - San Diego Gulls
- Shorthanded Wolves Salvage One Point in Winnipeg - Chicago Wolves
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Jimmy Huntington to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Sens Complete Weekend Sweep of Monsters - Belleville Senators
- Monsters Defeated in 4-1 Loss to Senators - Cleveland Monsters
- Saturday Showdown in Bingo - Toronto Marlies
- Barracuda Sign Defenseman Michael Downing to PTO - San Jose Barracuda
- Rochester Americans Game Preview: Saturday, February 29, 2020 at Syracuse Crunch - Rochester Americans
- Heat Face Wild Saturday at Stockton Arena - Stockton Heat
- Monsters Announce Two Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Monsters, February 29 - Belleville Senators
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Penguins, 7 PM - Hershey Bears
- Rocket's Strong Effort Not Enough to Best Amerks, Lose 4-2 - Laval Rocket
- Sutter Leads Reign Charge in Dominating Victory over Tucson - Ontario Reign
- Tucson's Blazing Start Extinguished By Reign - Tucson Roadrunners
- Rally Pushes Gulls past Stockton, 4-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Heat Fall Friday against San Diego - Stockton Heat
- Ho-Sang Scores in Rampage Debut to Top Griffins - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.