Rays Fall to Atlanta on Education Day
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - Eric Neiley scored three straight goals to complete a natural hat trick and give the Atlanta Gladiators (25-28-1-2) a come-from-behind 3-2 win over the South Carolina Stingrays (41-11-3-1) on Wednesday morning during Education Day at the North Charleston Coliseum.
Forwards Cam Askew and Alec Marsh each scored during the opening period for South Carolina, while goaltender Parker Milner stopped 27 shots in a losing effort.
Neiley netted all three of the Gladiators' tallies to erase a 2-0 deficit for Atlanta with two of the strikes coming in the second period before he scored the game-winner at 15:05 of the third.
His first two strikes came just 2:10 apart from each other in the middle period at 14:43 and 16:53 and brought the Glads back to an even 2-2 score.
South Carolina had the initial 1-0 lead when Askew knocked home a rebound at the front of the Atlanta net while the Rays were on the power play at 5:54 of the opening frame. After winning the first face-off of the man-advantage, forward Max Novak fired a shot to the net from the point that created a loose rebound for Askew, who swept it into the net for his 10th goal of the season. Defenseman Kristofers Bindulis earned the second assist on the play.
Askew, who was recently named the ECHL Player of the Week on Tuesday, scored for the second consecutive game and now has 24 points overall.
Marsh then increased the SC lead to 2-0 with his fourth goal in as many games for the Stingrays. The rookie forward cashed in off a pass from defender Jesse Lees at 17:55 of the first period. A second assist on the play was credited to forward Steve Whitney.
But the Stingrays were unable to hold on to the early advantage and were defeated in regulation for the first time by Atlanta during 2019-20. Gladiators' goaltender Sean Bonar picked up the win by stopping 25 shots in the contest for his club. Atlanta outshot South Carolina 30-27 but came up empty with a 0-for-2 mark on the power play.
Askew's goal in the first was the Rays' only man-advantage strike as the team finished 1-for-4.
South Carolina begins a 7-game road trip this weekend in Worcester against the Railers on Saturday at 7:05 p.m.
- Tickets for all of the team's upcoming 2019-20 home contests are on sale now via Ticketmaster.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 26, 2020
- IceMen Score Club Record Nine Goals to Claim Wild Win - Jacksonville IceMen
- Swamp Rabbits Soar in Electric Win over Cincinnati - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Fall in Midweek Trip Down South - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dornbrock Scores First Goal with Admirals in Loss to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Tie Most-Lopsided Win in Team History, 8-0 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Overpowered by Royals in Reading - Maine Mariners
- My Community Credit Union and Two Rows of Allen Teacher of the Month - Allen Americans
- Rockford Recalls McLaughlin, Assigns Ramsey - Indy Fuel
- Sarah Wallwork of Green Elementary School in Allen, Named February Teacher of the Month - Allen Americans
- Norfolk Admirals Announce New Season Ticket Packages for 2020-21 Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Jacob Doty Returns to Ontario - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Assigned Four, Sign One ahead of Tonight's Game - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Acquire Forward Reid Jackman from Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Sign J.M. Piotrowski - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Adds Depth to Backend - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 26 - ECHL
- Oilers Receive Pair from San Diego - Tulsa Oilers
- Rockwood, MacPherson, Bednard Returned to Greenville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Kestner Scores Hat Trick as Walleye Tame Beast - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Preview: Feb 26, 2020 Utah at Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Rays and Shine - Glads Top SC as Point Streak Reaches Five - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rays Fall to Atlanta on Education Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- Diaper Drive at March 14 Game Will Benefit Mary's Shelter - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Admirals at IceMen, February 26, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye: Bring on the Komets - Toledo Walleye
- McDonald & Mills Return to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Florida Everblades Looking to Sign David Ayres as Emergency Zamboni Driver - Florida Everblades
- Willman Returned on Loan, Royals Host Maine Tonight - Reading Royals
- Gladiators sign Swenson, trade Jackman, and Conway recalled - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.