Oilers Receive Pair from San Diego
TULSA, OK - The Tulsa Oilers, proud ECHL affiliate of the National Hockey League's St. Louis Blues, announced Wednesday that forward Brent Gates Jr. and defenseman Hunter Drew have been loaned to Tulsa.
Gates, 22, played 20 games earlier this season with the Oilers, registering 14 points (6G, 8A). The 6'2, 198 lbs. forward has also appeared in 20 contests for the Gulls this season, notching four goals and adding an assist for five total points. The former third-round pick of the Ducks has played in a total of 26 AHL games since turning pro out of the University of Minnesota, where he compiled 85 points (42G, 43A) in 148 games for the Gophers, captaining the team in 2018-19.
Prior to his college career, the son of former MLB player Brent Gates scored 42 points (21G, 21A) in 83 USHL games with the Green Bay Gamblers.
Drew, 21, is joining the Oilers for the first time in his career. The rookie defenseman has two goals and five assists for seven points in 29 pro games this season, all of which have come with San Diego. The native of Kingston, ON also sports a +6 rating and has compiled 33 PIM as a pro.
A sixth-round pick of Anaheim in 2018, Drew played Major Junior in the QMJHL, dishing up 92 points (24G, 68A) in 167 games with the Charlottetown Islanders. In addition to his strong offensive play, the 6'2, 198 lbs. defenseman was the most-penalized player in the QMJHL during the 2017-18 campaign, garnering a league-high 159 PIM. Drew ended his QMJHL career with 369 PIM and a +31 rating.
Tulsa heads to Rapid City, SD to face the Rush in three huge games at Rushmore Plaza Civic Center, taking place on Feb. 28, 29 and March 1. The Oilers sit just one point behind the Rush, who reside in the fourth-and-final playoff spot in the Mountain Division.
Oilers Season and Group Tickets are on sale now! Call the Oilers front office at 918-632-PUCK (7825) or visit www.tulsaoilers.com for more information.
Images from this story
Tulsa Oilers vs. the Wichita Thunder
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 26, 2020
- IceMen Score Club Record Nine Goals to Claim Wild Win - Jacksonville IceMen
- Swamp Rabbits Soar in Electric Win over Cincinnati - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Fall in Midweek Trip Down South - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dornbrock Scores First Goal with Admirals in Loss to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Tie Most-Lopsided Win in Team History, 8-0 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Overpowered by Royals in Reading - Maine Mariners
- My Community Credit Union and Two Rows of Allen Teacher of the Month - Allen Americans
- Rockford Recalls McLaughlin, Assigns Ramsey - Indy Fuel
- Sarah Wallwork of Green Elementary School in Allen, Named February Teacher of the Month - Allen Americans
- Norfolk Admirals Announce New Season Ticket Packages for 2020-21 Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Jacob Doty Returns to Ontario - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Assigned Four, Sign One ahead of Tonight's Game - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Acquire Forward Reid Jackman from Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Sign J.M. Piotrowski - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Adds Depth to Backend - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 26 - ECHL
- Oilers Receive Pair from San Diego - Tulsa Oilers
- Rockwood, MacPherson, Bednard Returned to Greenville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Kestner Scores Hat Trick as Walleye Tame Beast - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Preview: Feb 26, 2020 Utah at Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Rays and Shine - Glads Top SC as Point Streak Reaches Five - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rays Fall to Atlanta on Education Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- Diaper Drive at March 14 Game Will Benefit Mary's Shelter - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Admirals at IceMen, February 26, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye: Bring on the Komets - Toledo Walleye
- McDonald & Mills Return to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Florida Everblades Looking to Sign David Ayres as Emergency Zamboni Driver - Florida Everblades
- Willman Returned on Loan, Royals Host Maine Tonight - Reading Royals
- Gladiators sign Swenson, trade Jackman, and Conway recalled - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.