Florida Everblades Looking to Sign David Ayres as Emergency Zamboni Driver
ESTERO, Fla. - The Florida Everblades announced on Wednesday that the organization is seeking to sign David Ayres - the emergency backup goaltender who guided the Carolina Hurricanes to a 6-3 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs on Saturday - as the team's emergency Zamboni driver ahead of this weekend's two home games.
"This time of year is especially tough on ECHL teams with the NHL and AHL trade deadlines, and the last thing we need to worry about is having to find a Zamboni driver on the day of a game while we're trying to sign players on short notice," said Craig Brush, the Everblades President and General Manager.
In the wake of the NHL trade deadline on Monday, the Everblades have already had four players reassigned or loaned to AHL clubs over the last two days, including goaltender Ken Appleby, who is tied for the ECHL lead in wins with 25.
"We can't make any promises to David that this position could translate into a chance to see game time as it did for him on Saturday in Toronto," Everblades head coach Brad Ralph added. "However, with the Maples Leafs' ECHL affiliate, the Newfoundland Growlers, in town on Friday, we aren't opposed to using him to take down a Maples Leafs-owned organization for the second time in a week if the opportunity presents itself."
After both of Carolina's goaltenders left the game against Toronto on Saturday, the 42-year-old Ayres came into the game in the second period as the designated emergency backup goalie. He emerged with the win after stopping eight of the 10 shots he faced.
"At this point, signing David is a precautionary measure," Brush said. "But you never know who might receive a call-up this time of year, and we want to be proactive about having someone to resurface the ice if we lose the guy we currently have under contract."
Details of the offer to Ayres were not disclosed by the Everblades executive staff at the time of this release, though an unnamed alligator, who resembled the Everblades' mascot, did confirm that at least several rounds of golf on various high-end Southwest Florida courses were included.
The Everblades start a stretch of three games in three days with a Friday matchup against Newfoundland at 7:30 p.m. ET at Hertz Arena.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 26, 2020
- IceMen Score Club Record Nine Goals to Claim Wild Win - Jacksonville IceMen
- Swamp Rabbits Soar in Electric Win over Cincinnati - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Fall in Midweek Trip Down South - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dornbrock Scores First Goal with Admirals in Loss to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Tie Most-Lopsided Win in Team History, 8-0 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Overpowered by Royals in Reading - Maine Mariners
- My Community Credit Union and Two Rows of Allen Teacher of the Month - Allen Americans
- Rockford Recalls McLaughlin, Assigns Ramsey - Indy Fuel
- Sarah Wallwork of Green Elementary School in Allen, Named February Teacher of the Month - Allen Americans
- Norfolk Admirals Announce New Season Ticket Packages for 2020-21 Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Jacob Doty Returns to Ontario - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Assigned Four, Sign One ahead of Tonight's Game - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Acquire Forward Reid Jackman from Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Sign J.M. Piotrowski - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Adds Depth to Backend - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 26 - ECHL
- Oilers Receive Pair from San Diego - Tulsa Oilers
- Rockwood, MacPherson, Bednard Returned to Greenville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Kestner Scores Hat Trick as Walleye Tame Beast - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Preview: Feb 26, 2020 Utah at Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Rays and Shine - Glads Top SC as Point Streak Reaches Five - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rays Fall to Atlanta on Education Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- Diaper Drive at March 14 Game Will Benefit Mary's Shelter - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Admirals at IceMen, February 26, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye: Bring on the Komets - Toledo Walleye
- McDonald & Mills Return to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Florida Everblades Looking to Sign David Ayres as Emergency Zamboni Driver - Florida Everblades
- Willman Returned on Loan, Royals Host Maine Tonight - Reading Royals
- Gladiators sign Swenson, trade Jackman, and Conway recalled - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.