Solar Bears Sign J.M. Piotrowski
ORLANDO, Fla. - The Orlando Solar Bears have announced the signing of rookie forward J.M. Piotrowski to an ECHL Standard Player Contract. Orlando has also acquired rookie goaltender Jeff Smith from the Utah Grizzlies in exchange for future considerations. In a corresponding move, the Tampa Bay Lightning have reassigned goaltender Mike Condon to the Charlotte Checkers of the American Hockey League.
Piotrowski, 24, joins Orlando after producing 14 points (6g-8a) and 36 penalty minutes in 41 games with the Birmingham Bulls of the Southern Professional Hockey League. Piotrowski also skated in 21 games with the Melbourne Ice of the Australian Ice Hockey League, where he generated 26 points (12g-14a) and 22 penalty minutes.
Prior to turning pro, the 6-2, 190-pound forward skated played four seasons of collegiate hockey with Yale University, where he collected 10 points (5g-5a) in 70 games for the Bulldogs program.
The native of Naperville, Illinois played Tier-1 junior hockey in the United States Hockey League for the Sioux Falls Stampede and Fargo Force, capturing the Clark Cup championship in 2014-15. In 47 career USHL games, Piotrowski racked up 14 points (5g-9a) and 46 penalty minutes. He also skated in the Tier-2 North American Hockey League for the Bismarck Bobcats and Wichita Falls Wildcats, where he generated 21 points (13g-8a) and 101 penalty minutes in 40 games.
Smith, 24, has appeared in six matches with Utah this season, sporting a 3-3-0 record with a 3.23 goals-against average and a .872 save percentage.
Prior to turning pro, the native of Maple Ridge, British Columbia played college hockey primarily for St. Cloud State University. In 58 appearances for the Huskies program, Smith went 27-16-5 with three shutouts, a 2.57 goals-against average and a .910 save percentage. He also played one season with the University of Massachusetts - Lowell, where he went 3-3-0 in eight appearances with one shutout, a 3.02 goals-against average and an .885 save percentage.
Condon, 29, went 0-3-0 in four appearances with the Solar Bears, sporting a 4.27 goals-against average and a .867 save percentage.
NEXT GAMES: The Solar Bears head out on the road to face the Atlanta Gladiators at Infinite Energy Arena on Friday, Feb. 28 at 7:35 p.m. The Solar Bears return home to host the Newfoundland Growlers on Saturday, Feb. 29 for Hockey Fights Cancer Night, presented by XYMOPrint. Prior to the game, the Solar Bears will also host their inaugural Food Festival.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 26, 2020
- IceMen Score Club Record Nine Goals to Claim Wild Win - Jacksonville IceMen
- Swamp Rabbits Soar in Electric Win over Cincinnati - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Fall in Midweek Trip Down South - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Dornbrock Scores First Goal with Admirals in Loss to Jacksonville - Norfolk Admirals
- Royals Tie Most-Lopsided Win in Team History, 8-0 - Reading Royals
- Mariners Overpowered by Royals in Reading - Maine Mariners
- My Community Credit Union and Two Rows of Allen Teacher of the Month - Allen Americans
- Rockford Recalls McLaughlin, Assigns Ramsey - Indy Fuel
- Sarah Wallwork of Green Elementary School in Allen, Named February Teacher of the Month - Allen Americans
- Norfolk Admirals Announce New Season Ticket Packages for 2020-21 Season - Norfolk Admirals
- Jacob Doty Returns to Ontario - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Assigned Four, Sign One ahead of Tonight's Game - Idaho Steelheads
- 'Blades Acquire Forward Reid Jackman from Atlanta - Florida Everblades
- Solar Bears Sign J.M. Piotrowski - Orlando Solar Bears
- Thunder Adds Depth to Backend - Wichita Thunder
- ECHL Transactions - February 26 - ECHL
- Oilers Receive Pair from San Diego - Tulsa Oilers
- Rockwood, MacPherson, Bednard Returned to Greenville - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Kestner Scores Hat Trick as Walleye Tame Beast - Toledo Walleye
- Grizzlies Preview: Feb 26, 2020 Utah at Idaho - Utah Grizzlies
- Rays and Shine - Glads Top SC as Point Streak Reaches Five - Atlanta Gladiators
- Rays Fall to Atlanta on Education Day - South Carolina Stingrays
- Diaper Drive at March 14 Game Will Benefit Mary's Shelter - Reading Royals
- Game Preview: Admirals at IceMen, February 26, 2020 - Jacksonville IceMen
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Walleye: Bring on the Komets - Toledo Walleye
- McDonald & Mills Return to Grizzlies Roster - Utah Grizzlies
- Florida Everblades Looking to Sign David Ayres as Emergency Zamboni Driver - Florida Everblades
- Willman Returned on Loan, Royals Host Maine Tonight - Reading Royals
- Gladiators sign Swenson, trade Jackman, and Conway recalled - Atlanta Gladiators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando Solar Bears Stories
- PHPA and ECHL Announce COVID-19 Relief Fund for ECHL Players
- Clint Windsor Signed by Syracuse Crunch
- Orlando Solar Bears Statement on Cancellation of 2019-20 ECHL Season
- Orlando Solar Bears Statement on ECHL Suspending Season
- LeBlanc Lifts Solar Bears to 3-1 Win over Stingrays