Penguins Downed by Monarchs in Regular Season Finale
WILKES-BARRE, Pa. - The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins were unable to close their regular season schedule on a winning note, falling to the Manchester Monarchs, 3-1, at Mohegan Sun Arena at Casey Plaza.
Two periods came and went without a goal, but it took only 31 seconds of the third period for the Monarchs to leap ahead, 1-0. Coming across the left wing into the Penguins' zone, Tyler Toffoli sent a pass to the near circle and kicked off a stick and right to defenseman David Kolomatis for a wrist shot into the top left corner of the net.
Manchester gathered a big insurance goal midway through the final frame on the fifth power play on the contest. Tanner Pearson slipped by a check on the far boards and centered a pass into the slot that Andy Andreoff slid past the pad of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton goalie Brad Thiessen.
The Penguins would mount a last-minute comeback effort as they skated on the man-advantage and the goalie pulled in favor of the extra attacker and pulling within one with 1:19 remaining in regulation. After Manchester goaltender Martin Jones stopped Dylan Reese's point shot, several Wilkes-Barre/Scranton players hacked at the loose puck before it popped free for Paul Thompson to net his 20th goal of the season.
The rally attempt by the Penguins would fall short as Pearson tallied an empty-net goal with 14.4 second left in the game. Jones finished with 36 saves for the Monarchs. Thiessen stopped 18-of-20 for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
With the loss, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's first-round opponent and schedule is still to be determined. Manchester's win, coupled with regulation losses by Norfolk and Hershey clinched a berth for the Monarchs in the Calder Cup playoffs.
Tickets for individual playoff games are on sale now to the general public on Friday, April 19 at 10:00am and are available at the Box Office at Mohegan Sun Arena, through any Ticketmaster outlet, or online at ticketmaster.com. Tickets also can be purchased via phone by calling 1-800-745-3000.
Playoff ticket packages are available by contacting the Penguins Front Office at (570) 208-PENS and include a Penguins playoff rally towel with each seat purchased.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 20, 2013
- Home Dates Set for Griffins' First Round Series - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Lose to Barons in Season Finale - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stunner, Hogs Battle Back for a 5-3 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Drop 5-2 Decision to Houston on Fan Appreciation - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Capture Division Title with 4-3 Win over Sharks - Syracuse Crunch
- Big Noise in Phantoms Season Farewell - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monsters End Season on High Note with Shutout Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Texas Stars Clinch Top Seed in Western Conference in Spite of Loss - Texas Stars
- Griffins Blanked by Monsters - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Held in Check 5-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Barons Open Calder Cup Playoffs at Home on April 26 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Falcons Complete Record Season In Fitting Fashion - Springfield Falcons
- Senators Hold off Bears - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Surge Past Rampage 5-2 - Houston Aeros
- Monarchs clinch seventh seed in Post-season; Win sixth straight game - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Downed by Monarchs in Regular Season Finale - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Battle for Three Goals in 3rd Period in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Shut out Sound Tigers 3-0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens Take Down Bears in Home Finale, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Americans Defeat Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Portland defeats Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Albany Breaks Scoreless Stalemate Late, Shuts out Admirals 2-0 - Norfolk Admirals
- Lane Hat Trick Lifts Pirates over Whale - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Head to 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Eliminated from Playoff Hunt with 2-0 Loss to Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Rout Peoria, Clinch Home Ice - Charlotte Checkers
- Bruins Shutout Sound Tigers - Providence Bruins
- Frazee, Devils Blank Admirals - Albany Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Year End Award Winners - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Present 2012-13 Player Awards - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Down Marlies 4-3 in a Shootout - Toronto Marlies
- IceCaps Edge Marlies in Shootout - St. John's IceCaps
- Henderson, Bang Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Pirates Sign Chris Rawlings to Amateur Tryout Contract - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Release O'Connor - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Ben Blood Reassigned to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Join Forces with Clear Channel Stations to Support 'The One Fund Boston' - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Adirondack, Game #76 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Battle Whale in Home Finale - Portland Pirates
- Rampage Unable to Contain Rockford, Fall 9-4 on Friday Night - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins Stories
- Penguins Statement Regarding 2019-20 AHL Season
- Penguins Reassign Christopher Brown to Wheeling
- Penguins Slide Past Phantoms with 2-1 OT Win
- Penguins Have Week of Keystone State Rivalry Games
- Penguins Shut-Out by Devils