Lane Hat Trick Lifts Pirates over Whale
Portland, ME - Pirates forward Phil Lane scored his first career hat trick and Pirate goaltender Mike Lee made 31 saves as the Portland Pirates defeated the Connecticut Whale 5-1 in front of 6,085 fans at the Cumberland County Civic Center for their regular season home finale.
The Pirates has now won three straight while the Whale has now dropped their last 6 decisions.
The Pirates took a 1-0 lead just 6:59 into the game when defensemen Boris Valabik fired a shot from the point and Lane redirected it pass Whale goalie Cam Talbot legs. David Rundblad was also credited with an assist on Lane's goal, his 12th of the year. The Pirates extended the lead to two when Troy Bodie was able to put home a rebound off a Brodeur slap shot from the point with 3:23 left in the period. It was Bodie 7th goal of the season and 3rd since being loaned to the Pirates. Justin Feser also picked up an assist on the goal, his second career point. Lane extended the Pirates' lead to three just 16 seconds later, beating Talbot with a backhand for his second goal of the game. Chris Brown wash credited with an assist. After the goal Talbot was pulled in favor of Jason Missiaen with 3:07 left in the period.
The Connecticut Whale cut the lead to two with 10:53 left in the second when Marek Hrivik scored on the deflection past Lee. Benn Ferriero and J.T. Miller receive assists on the goal. It was Hrivik's 7th goal of the season. The Whale outshot the Pirates 17 to 11 in the second period but only managed the lone goal as Lee stood strong in net.
The Pirates took a 4-1 lead when Miele receive a pass from Bodie at the hash marks and fired a wrist shot high glove side pass Missiaen with 9:41 left in regulation. for his 19th goal of the season. The Pirates extended the lead to four when Lane completed his hat trick with 6:52 left in the game when he put home a rebound that came from a Miele shot. It was Lane 14th goal of the season.
The Pirates improve to 41-29-3-2, while the Whale falls to a 35-32-6-3 on the year. Lee improves to 9-5-0 on the season with the win, stopping 31 of the 32 shots he faced, while Talbot falls to 25-28-1 stopping 13 of 16 shots for the Whale while Missiaen made 21 saves in relief.
The Pirates are back in action tomorrow as they travel to take on the Bridgeport Sound Tigers at the Webster Bank Arena. Puck drop is set for 3 PM. Sunday's game can be heard on WPEI 95.5 and 95.9, and online on portlandpiratesradio.com and AHL Live, with the pregame show starting at 2:40 with Jeff Mannix.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 20, 2013
- Home Dates Set for Griffins' First Round Series - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Lose to Barons in Season Finale - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stunner, Hogs Battle Back for a 5-3 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Drop 5-2 Decision to Houston on Fan Appreciation - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Capture Division Title with 4-3 Win over Sharks - Syracuse Crunch
- Big Noise in Phantoms Season Farewell - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monsters End Season on High Note with Shutout Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Texas Stars Clinch Top Seed in Western Conference in Spite of Loss - Texas Stars
- Griffins Blanked by Monsters - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Held in Check 5-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Barons Open Calder Cup Playoffs at Home on April 26 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Falcons Complete Record Season In Fitting Fashion - Springfield Falcons
- Senators Hold off Bears - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Surge Past Rampage 5-2 - Houston Aeros
- Monarchs clinch seventh seed in Post-season; Win sixth straight game - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Downed by Monarchs in Regular Season Finale - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Battle for Three Goals in 3rd Period in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Shut out Sound Tigers 3-0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens Take Down Bears in Home Finale, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Americans Defeat Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Portland defeats Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Albany Breaks Scoreless Stalemate Late, Shuts out Admirals 2-0 - Norfolk Admirals
- Lane Hat Trick Lifts Pirates over Whale - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Head to 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Eliminated from Playoff Hunt with 2-0 Loss to Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Rout Peoria, Clinch Home Ice - Charlotte Checkers
- Bruins Shutout Sound Tigers - Providence Bruins
- Frazee, Devils Blank Admirals - Albany Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Year End Award Winners - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Present 2012-13 Player Awards - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Down Marlies 4-3 in a Shootout - Toronto Marlies
- IceCaps Edge Marlies in Shootout - St. John's IceCaps
- Henderson, Bang Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Pirates Sign Chris Rawlings to Amateur Tryout Contract - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Release O'Connor - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Ben Blood Reassigned to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Join Forces with Clear Channel Stations to Support 'The One Fund Boston' - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Adirondack, Game #76 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Battle Whale in Home Finale - Portland Pirates
- Rampage Unable to Contain Rockford, Fall 9-4 on Friday Night - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.