Texas Stunner, Hogs Battle Back for a 5-3 Win
Rockford, Ill.- Down 3-1 entering the third period against the Western Conference Champion Texas Stars and with a possible playoff berth on the line, the Rockford IceHogs pulled off a stunning 5-3 victory at Cedar Park Center to help Kent Simpson earn his first AHL win.
The win, Rockford's 42nd on the season, marked their AHL best 11th third period come-from-behind victory on the campaign and kept them tied with the Milwaukee Admirals for the eighth and final playoff spot in the Western Conference.
In order to get into the Calder Cup Playoffs, Rockford needs the Peoria Rivermen to knock off Milwaukee in Peoria on Sunday afternoon at 5:05 p.m.
Down 3-1 entering the third period, Rockford tied the contest with two goals in 43-seconds. Martin St. Pierre picked up a Christopher Nilstorp rebound in the slot and tucked his 26th goal of the season under the crossbar and in at 7:50.
The game was then tied at 8:33 of the final frame on a nice passing sequence. Standing back door. Brandon Svendsen picked up a cross-ice pass from Adam Clendening and beat Nilstorp in the open net for his sixth tally.
Ben Smith continued his goal scoring binge as he bagged the eventual game winner at 11:28. Brandon Pirri found Smith on the circle and the winger found the back of the net to give Rockford their first lead of the game. Smith added insurance off of another Pirri feed at 17:35 for his 27th goal to push the Hogs advantage to 5-3.
Pirri leads the AHL with 75 points, four more than Hershey's Jeff Taffe, who concludes his season on Sunday. The game also marked the fourth time in four head-to-head meetings between Rockford and Texas that the road team battled back from a three-goal deficit to claim the win.
For the second time in nine days, Rockford eclipsed 50 shots as they fired 54 of them on Christopher Nilstorp. The two teams combined for an IceHogs single-game record 101 shots on goal and Simpson stopped all 32 of the ones he faced in relief of Henrik Karlsson.
Texas struck first on Saturday on a goal scored from just inside the center ice line. Radek Faksa won a neutral zone faceoff back to Kevin Connauton and the d-man's dump in deflected off of Karlsson's stick and in at 10:57 for his ninth goal of the season.
Two quick strike goals early in the second period chased Karlsson from the game. Just 22-seconds into the middle frame, Scott Glennie followed a Justin Dowling rebound and beat Karlsson for his fifth goal on the season. Then at 1:04, Luke Gazdic beat Karlsson five hole for his fourth tally on the campaign, making it 3-0.
Rockford got on the board at 8:41 of the second period to make it a 3-1 game. Defenseman Adam Clendening picked off a Stars clear-out attempt and beat a screened Christopher Nilstorp over the shoulder for his for his ninth goal of the year.
Playoff Tickets On Sale: IceHogs Fans can take advantage of buy-one get-one free playoff tickets. The deal is good through Thursday and if the IceHogs qualify for the Calder Cup Playoffs, they would host Game 1 (Friday, April 26) and Game 2 (Saturday, April 27) of the quarterfinal round at the BMO Harris Bank Center. For tickets, visit IceHogs.com, call (815) 494-8968 or at the BMO Harris Bank Center Box Office and any Ticketmaster outlet.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 20, 2013
- Home Dates Set for Griffins' First Round Series - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Lose to Barons in Season Finale - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stunner, Hogs Battle Back for a 5-3 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Drop 5-2 Decision to Houston on Fan Appreciation - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Capture Division Title with 4-3 Win over Sharks - Syracuse Crunch
- Big Noise in Phantoms Season Farewell - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monsters End Season on High Note with Shutout Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Texas Stars Clinch Top Seed in Western Conference in Spite of Loss - Texas Stars
- Griffins Blanked by Monsters - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Held in Check 5-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Barons Open Calder Cup Playoffs at Home on April 26 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Falcons Complete Record Season In Fitting Fashion - Springfield Falcons
- Senators Hold off Bears - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Surge Past Rampage 5-2 - Houston Aeros
- Monarchs clinch seventh seed in Post-season; Win sixth straight game - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Downed by Monarchs in Regular Season Finale - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Battle for Three Goals in 3rd Period in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Shut out Sound Tigers 3-0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens Take Down Bears in Home Finale, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Americans Defeat Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Portland defeats Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Albany Breaks Scoreless Stalemate Late, Shuts out Admirals 2-0 - Norfolk Admirals
- Lane Hat Trick Lifts Pirates over Whale - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Head to 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Eliminated from Playoff Hunt with 2-0 Loss to Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Rout Peoria, Clinch Home Ice - Charlotte Checkers
- Bruins Shutout Sound Tigers - Providence Bruins
- Frazee, Devils Blank Admirals - Albany Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Year End Award Winners - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Present 2012-13 Player Awards - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Down Marlies 4-3 in a Shootout - Toronto Marlies
- IceCaps Edge Marlies in Shootout - St. John's IceCaps
- Henderson, Bang Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Pirates Sign Chris Rawlings to Amateur Tryout Contract - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Release O'Connor - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Ben Blood Reassigned to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Join Forces with Clear Channel Stations to Support 'The One Fund Boston' - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Adirondack, Game #76 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Battle Whale in Home Finale - Portland Pirates
- Rampage Unable to Contain Rockford, Fall 9-4 on Friday Night - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- IceHogs Sign University of Maine Captain Mitchell Fossier
- IceHogs Deliver Pucks & Paws Night Donations to Noah's Ark Animal Sanctuary
- IceHogs Announce 2019-20 Team Awards Presented by Pepsi
- American Hockey League Cancels Remainder of 2019-20 Season
- Winningest American Head Coach & 2007 UHL Championship Coach Steve Martinson Joins IceHogs Rewind Pregame Show Friday