Portland defeats Whale
Portland, ME - Phil Lane scored a hat trick, and Andy Miele added a goal and two assists, Saturday night at the Cumberland County Civic Center, as the Portland Pirates defeated the Connecticut Whale, 5-1, in the Whale's last game of the regular season.
The Whale (35-32-6-3, 79 pts.) finished the regular year 0-5-1-0 in their last six games, but remained mathematically alive for an Eastern Conference playoff spot, with the Norfolk Admirals losing 2-0 Saturday at Albany and the Hershey Bears dropping a 4-2 decision in Binghamton. For the Whale to grab the eighth-and-final playoff spot, they need Norfolk to lose in regulation in Providence Sunday and Manchester to win in regulation at Hershey.
Troy Bodie also had a goal and an assist for Portland in Saturday's win, and Mike Lee made 31 saves. Marek Hrivik scored the lone Whale goal.
The Pirates got the jump on the Whale by dominating the first period, to the tune of a 16-7 shots advantage, and built a 3-0 lead.
The Whale did not sustain any damage until the 13:01 mark, when Lane scored his first of the game to start a three-goal burst in a span of 3:52. Boris Valabik slid the puck at the net from the left point, and Lane deflected it through the legs of Whale starting goaltender Cam Talbot for a 1-0 Portland lead.
The Pirates made it 2-0 at 16:37, after the Whale failed to connect on a couple of clearing attempts. Mathieu Brodeur got the puck down low from the left point, and Bodie was able to jam it into the net from Talbot's right.
Only 16 seconds thereafter, at 16:53, Lane scored again, bursting down right wing past Dylan McIlrath and slipping the puck off the post on Talbot's glove side and into the net.
That goal chased Talbot (13 saves) from the game in favor of Jason Missiaen, and the Whale settled things down after that, outshooting Portland 17-11 in the second period and shaving a goal off of the Pirate lead.
Hrivik got the Whale on the scoreboard at 9:07 of the second, beating Lee on a shot from below the goal line on the right-wing side. Hrivik's try went off of Lee's skate and in, after a shot by Benn Ferriero had been tipped wide.
Portland restored the two-goal lead at 10:19 of the third period, though, when Whale defenseman Logan Pyett overskated the puck deep in his own zone, allowing Miele to jump on it and fire a close-in shot past Missiaen.
Lane completed his hat trick 2:49 later, at 13:08, when he poked a rebound in from the left side of the goalmouth, after Missiaen had stopped a Miele shot.
For information on a possible Whale playoff schedule, as well as playoff tickets and plans, and all of the Whale's many ticketing options, visit www.ctwhale.com, or call the CT Whale ticket office at (860) 548-2000 to talk with an account executive today.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 20, 2013
- Home Dates Set for Griffins' First Round Series - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Lose to Barons in Season Finale - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stunner, Hogs Battle Back for a 5-3 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Drop 5-2 Decision to Houston on Fan Appreciation - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Capture Division Title with 4-3 Win over Sharks - Syracuse Crunch
- Big Noise in Phantoms Season Farewell - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monsters End Season on High Note with Shutout Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Texas Stars Clinch Top Seed in Western Conference in Spite of Loss - Texas Stars
- Griffins Blanked by Monsters - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Held in Check 5-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Barons Open Calder Cup Playoffs at Home on April 26 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Falcons Complete Record Season In Fitting Fashion - Springfield Falcons
- Senators Hold off Bears - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Surge Past Rampage 5-2 - Houston Aeros
- Monarchs clinch seventh seed in Post-season; Win sixth straight game - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Downed by Monarchs in Regular Season Finale - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Battle for Three Goals in 3rd Period in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Shut out Sound Tigers 3-0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens Take Down Bears in Home Finale, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Americans Defeat Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Portland defeats Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Albany Breaks Scoreless Stalemate Late, Shuts out Admirals 2-0 - Norfolk Admirals
- Lane Hat Trick Lifts Pirates over Whale - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Head to 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Eliminated from Playoff Hunt with 2-0 Loss to Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Rout Peoria, Clinch Home Ice - Charlotte Checkers
- Bruins Shutout Sound Tigers - Providence Bruins
- Frazee, Devils Blank Admirals - Albany Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Year End Award Winners - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Present 2012-13 Player Awards - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Down Marlies 4-3 in a Shootout - Toronto Marlies
- IceCaps Edge Marlies in Shootout - St. John's IceCaps
- Henderson, Bang Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Pirates Sign Chris Rawlings to Amateur Tryout Contract - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Release O'Connor - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Ben Blood Reassigned to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Join Forces with Clear Channel Stations to Support 'The One Fund Boston' - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Adirondack, Game #76 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Battle Whale in Home Finale - Portland Pirates
- Rampage Unable to Contain Rockford, Fall 9-4 on Friday Night - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.