Rivermen Held in Check 5-0
The Charlotte Checkers went 2-for-2 on the power play in the first period on their way to a 5-0 win over the Peoria Rivermen on Saturday night at Carver Arena in front of 6,899 fans. The Rivermen season will conclude on Sunday when they host the Milwaukee Admirals at 5:05 p.m.
Charlotte opened the scoring at 11:19 of the first on Justin Shugg's seventh goal of the year. Matt Beca fired a shot from the point that deflected off the leg of Shugg and past Paul Karpowich. Later in the period, the Checkers had another successful power play. Brett Sutter threw the puck into the crease, where Zach Dalpe redirected the puck into the back of the net for his 19th goal of the season at 17:03 to give Charlotte a 2-0 lead. Ryan Murphy was also credited with an assist on the goal.
In the second period, the Checkers scored two goals within 35 seconds of each other. Dalpe passed the puck to Zach Boychuk, who scored his 23rd goal of the season from the left circle at 10:56 to push their lead to 3-0. Justin Krueger also assisted on the goal. Afterwards, Matt Marquardt sent a pass to Jeremy Welsh. Welsh hit a one-timer past Karpowich for his 15th goal of the year at 11:31 to give Charlotte a 4-0 advantage. Shugg earned his second point of the game with an assist on the goal.
After the Rivermen were unable to convert on multiple power plays in the third period, Sutter danced around the Rivermen defense for his 19th goal this season at 11:52. Terry assisted on the final goal of the game, which gave Charlotte it's 5-0 win.
The Rivermen went 0-for-4 on the powerplay, while Charlotte was 2-for-2. Peoria outshot the Checkers 35-29.
The Rivermen will play their final game of the season against the Milwaukee Admirals on Sunday at 5:05 p.m. All tickets to both Saturday and Sunday's game are available for as little as $5 and all merchandise has been marked down 50 percent. Following Saturday's game the team will auction off their white jerseys. For tickets or more information call 309-676-1040.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 20, 2013
- Home Dates Set for Griffins' First Round Series - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Lose to Barons in Season Finale - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stunner, Hogs Battle Back for a 5-3 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Drop 5-2 Decision to Houston on Fan Appreciation - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Capture Division Title with 4-3 Win over Sharks - Syracuse Crunch
- Big Noise in Phantoms Season Farewell - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monsters End Season on High Note with Shutout Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Texas Stars Clinch Top Seed in Western Conference in Spite of Loss - Texas Stars
- Griffins Blanked by Monsters - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Held in Check 5-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Barons Open Calder Cup Playoffs at Home on April 26 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Falcons Complete Record Season In Fitting Fashion - Springfield Falcons
- Senators Hold off Bears - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Surge Past Rampage 5-2 - Houston Aeros
- Monarchs clinch seventh seed in Post-season; Win sixth straight game - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Downed by Monarchs in Regular Season Finale - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Battle for Three Goals in 3rd Period in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Shut out Sound Tigers 3-0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens Take Down Bears in Home Finale, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Americans Defeat Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Portland defeats Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Albany Breaks Scoreless Stalemate Late, Shuts out Admirals 2-0 - Norfolk Admirals
- Lane Hat Trick Lifts Pirates over Whale - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Head to 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Eliminated from Playoff Hunt with 2-0 Loss to Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Rout Peoria, Clinch Home Ice - Charlotte Checkers
- Bruins Shutout Sound Tigers - Providence Bruins
- Frazee, Devils Blank Admirals - Albany Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Year End Award Winners - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Present 2012-13 Player Awards - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Down Marlies 4-3 in a Shootout - Toronto Marlies
- IceCaps Edge Marlies in Shootout - St. John's IceCaps
- Henderson, Bang Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Pirates Sign Chris Rawlings to Amateur Tryout Contract - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Release O'Connor - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Ben Blood Reassigned to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Join Forces with Clear Channel Stations to Support 'The One Fund Boston' - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Adirondack, Game #76 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Battle Whale in Home Finale - Portland Pirates
- Rampage Unable to Contain Rockford, Fall 9-4 on Friday Night - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.