Crunch Capture Division Title with 4-3 Win over Sharks
Syracuse, NY - The Syracuse Crunch clinched the East Division title by defeating the Worcester Sharks in a shootout 4-3 tonight at the War Memorial.
With 97 points the Crunch currently sit third in the Eastern Conference with a record of 43-21-6-5. The Crunch will host Game 1 and Game 2 of the Calder Cup playoffs on Saturday, April 27 and Sunday, April 28 against an opponent yet to be determined.
The Sharks overcame a three goal deficit in the third period to force overtime. After neither team could score in the sudden-death period, the game went to a shootout. JT Wyman's shootout goal secured the Crunch's second division title and first since 2001-02. Brett Connolly and Dan Sexton also scored in the skills competition while Cedrick Desjardins stopped all three Worcester attempts.
The Crunch set a strong tone to begin the first period as Connolly netted his 28th goal of the season at the 11:49 mark. After a shot on goal, Connolly cleanly handled a rebound rewarding Sexton and Mark Barberio with assists on the play.
Syracuse extended its lead with goals by Philip-Michael Devos and Tyler Johnson in the second period. Beating defenders through the offensive zone, Devos wristed a shot past opposing goalie, Alex Stalock, assisted by Vladislav Namestnikov and Connolly. Less than two minutes later, Johnson deflected a JT Brown Shot at the 5:40 mark of the second period, J.P. Cote had the secondary assist on the play. The Crunch retained a healthy 3-0 lead as the second period came to a close.
Worcester battled back from the 3-0 deficit in the third, scoring three unanswered goals of their own. With 12:23 remaining in play, Curt Gogol scored the first Sharks goal of the night, assisted by Chris Crane and Dylan Demelo. Soon after, the Sharks cut the Crunch lead to one after a sharp wrist shot by Eriah Hayes from the top of the point. The play was assisted by Daniil Tarasov and Adam Comrie at the 8:20 mark of the third. Tarasov then netted one of his own off a Syracuse turnover to tie the game at three.
Syracuse finishes off the regular season against Binghamton on Sunday with a chance to clinch the second seed in the Eastern Conference playoffs.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 20, 2013
- Home Dates Set for Griffins' First Round Series - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Lose to Barons in Season Finale - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stunner, Hogs Battle Back for a 5-3 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Drop 5-2 Decision to Houston on Fan Appreciation - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Capture Division Title with 4-3 Win over Sharks - Syracuse Crunch
- Big Noise in Phantoms Season Farewell - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monsters End Season on High Note with Shutout Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Texas Stars Clinch Top Seed in Western Conference in Spite of Loss - Texas Stars
- Griffins Blanked by Monsters - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Held in Check 5-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Barons Open Calder Cup Playoffs at Home on April 26 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Falcons Complete Record Season In Fitting Fashion - Springfield Falcons
- Senators Hold off Bears - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Surge Past Rampage 5-2 - Houston Aeros
- Monarchs clinch seventh seed in Post-season; Win sixth straight game - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Downed by Monarchs in Regular Season Finale - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Battle for Three Goals in 3rd Period in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Shut out Sound Tigers 3-0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens Take Down Bears in Home Finale, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Americans Defeat Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Portland defeats Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Albany Breaks Scoreless Stalemate Late, Shuts out Admirals 2-0 - Norfolk Admirals
- Lane Hat Trick Lifts Pirates over Whale - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Head to 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Eliminated from Playoff Hunt with 2-0 Loss to Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Rout Peoria, Clinch Home Ice - Charlotte Checkers
- Bruins Shutout Sound Tigers - Providence Bruins
- Frazee, Devils Blank Admirals - Albany Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Year End Award Winners - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Present 2012-13 Player Awards - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Down Marlies 4-3 in a Shootout - Toronto Marlies
- IceCaps Edge Marlies in Shootout - St. John's IceCaps
- Henderson, Bang Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Pirates Sign Chris Rawlings to Amateur Tryout Contract - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Release O'Connor - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Ben Blood Reassigned to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Join Forces with Clear Channel Stations to Support 'The One Fund Boston' - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Adirondack, Game #76 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Battle Whale in Home Finale - Portland Pirates
- Rampage Unable to Contain Rockford, Fall 9-4 on Friday Night - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Alex Barre-Boulet Named to 2019-20 AHL Second All-Star Team
- Syracuse Crunch Statement Regarding the Cancellation of the Remainder of the 2019-20 Season
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forward Daniel Walcott to One-Year Contract
- Daniel Walcott Named Syracuse Crunch's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Syracuse Crunch, Utica Comets, Binghamton Devils, Rochester Americans Partner with American Red Cross to Announce New York Hockey Gives Blood