P-Bruins Shut out Sound Tigers 3-0
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - Providence goaltender Michael Hutchinson made 37 saves and forward Matt Lindblad had two assists as the Bruins shut out the Bridgeport Sound Tigers 3-0 at Webster Bank Arena on Saturday night. With the win, Providence improves to 49-21-0-5. The Sound Tigers drop to 31-32-7-5 with the loss.
The Sound Tigers outshot the Bruins 11-8 in the opening 20 minutes of the game, but Providence netted the only goal of the first period at 15:25 during a power play to take the lead. Matt Lindblad held the puck beneath the goal line to the left of goaltender Anders Nilsson, and fed Alexander Fallstrom at the top of the crease for a one-timer to give Providence a 1-0 advantage.
Neither team found the back of the net in the second period, but the Sound Tigers came close on the power play midway through the middle frame. Brock Nelson collected a turnover in the low slot in front of goaltender Michael Hutchinson, but the Providence net-minder denied Nelson from point-blank range to keep the Sound Tigers off of the scoreboard.
Providence pushed its lead to two goals 1:15 into the third period. Quick passing between Lindblad and Carter Camper eventually sent the puck to Jared Knight in the slot, who sent the puck past Nilsson for his first goal of the season to give the Bruins a 2-0 lead.
The Sound Tigers had opportunities to chip away at their deficit in the final frame, but Hutchinson made numerous saves despite loose pucks and traffic in front of his crease to keep the shutout bid intact. The Sound Tigers pulled Nilsson in favor of the extra attacker with over a minute left in regulation and continued to generate scoring chances in the waning moments, but Kyle MacKinnon scored on the empty net 7.7 seconds left to round out the scoring.
The Sound Tigers close out the 2012-13 regular season tomorrow afternoon when they host the Portland Pirates at 3:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 20, 2013
- Home Dates Set for Griffins' First Round Series - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Lose to Barons in Season Finale - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stunner, Hogs Battle Back for a 5-3 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Drop 5-2 Decision to Houston on Fan Appreciation - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Capture Division Title with 4-3 Win over Sharks - Syracuse Crunch
- Big Noise in Phantoms Season Farewell - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monsters End Season on High Note with Shutout Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Texas Stars Clinch Top Seed in Western Conference in Spite of Loss - Texas Stars
- Griffins Blanked by Monsters - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Held in Check 5-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Barons Open Calder Cup Playoffs at Home on April 26 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Falcons Complete Record Season In Fitting Fashion - Springfield Falcons
- Senators Hold off Bears - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Surge Past Rampage 5-2 - Houston Aeros
- Monarchs clinch seventh seed in Post-season; Win sixth straight game - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Downed by Monarchs in Regular Season Finale - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Battle for Three Goals in 3rd Period in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Shut out Sound Tigers 3-0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens Take Down Bears in Home Finale, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Americans Defeat Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Portland defeats Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Albany Breaks Scoreless Stalemate Late, Shuts out Admirals 2-0 - Norfolk Admirals
- Lane Hat Trick Lifts Pirates over Whale - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Head to 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Eliminated from Playoff Hunt with 2-0 Loss to Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Rout Peoria, Clinch Home Ice - Charlotte Checkers
- Bruins Shutout Sound Tigers - Providence Bruins
- Frazee, Devils Blank Admirals - Albany Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Year End Award Winners - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Present 2012-13 Player Awards - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Down Marlies 4-3 in a Shootout - Toronto Marlies
- IceCaps Edge Marlies in Shootout - St. John's IceCaps
- Henderson, Bang Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Pirates Sign Chris Rawlings to Amateur Tryout Contract - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Release O'Connor - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Ben Blood Reassigned to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Join Forces with Clear Channel Stations to Support 'The One Fund Boston' - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Adirondack, Game #76 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Battle Whale in Home Finale - Portland Pirates
- Rampage Unable to Contain Rockford, Fall 9-4 on Friday Night - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bridgeport Sound Tigers Stories
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 20
- Five Bridgeport players record multi-point gamea in loss
- Sound Tigers Eye Third Straight Home Win Tonight
- Bridgeport's four-game unbeaten in regulation streak ends on Monday
- Holmstrom scores twice to help Bridgeport extend its points streak to four games (3-0-1-0)