Frazee, Devils Blank Admirals
ALBANY, NY -- After 57 minutes and 27 seconds, David Wohlberg broke a scoreless tie, helping the Albany Devils to a 2-0 victory against the Norfolk Admirals Saturday at Times Union Center. Jeff Frazee backstopped the Devils to their second straight victory. He made 31 stops for his first shutout of the season and 10th of his career.
Arguably Frazee's best save came 3:47 into the second period when he denied Norfolk's leading scorer, Patrick Maroon, on a two-on-one. Frazee kicked out his left leg and stopped the shot with the heel of his foot. Breaking down his performance, Frazee made 12 stops in the first, 10 in the second and nine in the third.
Wohlberg's game-winning goal came at 17:33 of the third when he converted on a pass from Harri Pesonen. Mike Sislo added an insurance goal at 19:45 with Norfolk netminder Frederik Andersen on the bench for the extra attacker.
Notes & Numbers
- Albany improved to 31-31-1-12, while Norfolk moved to 37-32-4-1.
- Norfolk owned a 31-29 shot advantage.
- Jeff Frazee registered his eighth win of the season and 73rd of his career, which ranks first all-time in franchise history. The victory was his first since Mar. 3 at Adirondack.
- David Wohlberg netted his fourth tally of the season and his first career game-winning goal. He has two goals in the last three outings.
- Mike Sislo's empty-netter was his 13th goal, extending his point streak to three games (2g-1a).
- With an assist on Wohlberg's goal, Harri Pesonen moved his point streak to three outings (2g-2a).
- In his 46th appearance, Norfolk's Frederik Andersen made 27 saves.
Lineup Goaltenders: Jeff Frazee, Scott Wedgewood Defensemen: Brandon Burlon, Eric Gelinas, Seth Helgeson, Raman Hrabarenka, Corbin McPherson, Jon Merrill Forwards: Jean-Sebastien Berube, Reid Boucher, Phil DeSimone, Mike Hoeffel, Cam Janssen, Chris McKelvie, Harri Pesonen, Tim Sestito, Mike Sislo, Joe Whitney, David Wohlberg, Steve Zalewski
Next Up The Devils conclude the 2012-13 regulation season against Adirondack at Times Union Center. Puck drop is 3 pm and as part of "Fan Appreciation Night" the Devils will hand out more than 40 different prizes. Additionally, the first 2,000 fans will receive a Tim Sestito bobblehead, courtesy of BBL, and the first 1,500 patrons will receive an Albany Devils backpack, sponsored by Times Union.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 20, 2013
- Home Dates Set for Griffins' First Round Series - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Heat Lose to Barons in Season Finale - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stunner, Hogs Battle Back for a 5-3 Win - Rockford IceHogs
- Rampage Drop 5-2 Decision to Houston on Fan Appreciation - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Capture Division Title with 4-3 Win over Sharks - Syracuse Crunch
- Big Noise in Phantoms Season Farewell - Adirondack Phantoms
- Monsters End Season on High Note with Shutout Win - Cleveland Monsters
- Texas Stars Clinch Top Seed in Western Conference in Spite of Loss - Texas Stars
- Griffins Blanked by Monsters - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Held in Check 5-0 - Peoria Rivermen
- Barons Open Calder Cup Playoffs at Home on April 26 - Oklahoma City Barons
- Falcons Complete Record Season In Fitting Fashion - Springfield Falcons
- Senators Hold off Bears - Hershey Bears
- Aeros Surge Past Rampage 5-2 - Houston Aeros
- Monarchs clinch seventh seed in Post-season; Win sixth straight game - Manchester Monarchs
- Penguins Downed by Monarchs in Regular Season Finale - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sharks Battle for Three Goals in 3rd Period in 4-3 Shootout Loss - Worcester Sharks
- P-Bruins Shut out Sound Tigers 3-0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens Take Down Bears in Home Finale, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Americans Defeat Bulldogs 5-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Portland defeats Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Albany Breaks Scoreless Stalemate Late, Shuts out Admirals 2-0 - Norfolk Admirals
- Lane Hat Trick Lifts Pirates over Whale - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Head to 2013 Calder Cup Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Wolves Eliminated from Playoff Hunt with 2-0 Loss to Milwaukee - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Rout Peoria, Clinch Home Ice - Charlotte Checkers
- Bruins Shutout Sound Tigers - Providence Bruins
- Frazee, Devils Blank Admirals - Albany Devils
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Year End Award Winners - Syracuse Crunch
- B-Sens Present 2012-13 Player Awards - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Down Marlies 4-3 in a Shootout - Toronto Marlies
- IceCaps Edge Marlies in Shootout - St. John's IceCaps
- Henderson, Bang Reassigned to Milwaukee - Milwaukee Admirals
- Pirates Sign Chris Rawlings to Amateur Tryout Contract - Portland Pirates
- Monarchs Release O'Connor - Manchester Monarchs
- Defenseman Ben Blood Reassigned to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Join Forces with Clear Channel Stations to Support 'The One Fund Boston' - Springfield Falcons
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Adirondack, Game #76 - Springfield Falcons
- Pirates Battle Whale in Home Finale - Portland Pirates
- Rampage Unable to Contain Rockford, Fall 9-4 on Friday Night - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.