Whitney Whacks Whale with Late Tally
Albany, NY, April 19, 2013 - Joe Whitney's goal with 4:59 left in the third period gave the Albany Devils a 3-2 win over the Connecticut Whale Friday night at the Times-Union Center.
Whitney tallied his 26th of the year for the winner, poking the puck in from the right side of the goalmouth after Jon Merrill had stickhandled down the slot.
With the loss, the Whale are now winless in a season-high five straight games (0-4-1-0) and fell to 35-31-6-3. The Whale finish their regular season Saturday night in Portland, while the teams with whom they are battling for one of the last playoff spots in the Eastern Conference, Norfolk, Manchester and Hershey, all have two games left.
Hershey won at Adirondack, 2-1, and Manchester defeated Binghamton on the road by the same score, meaning that the Whale, Bears and Monarchs all ended the night at 79 points.
Harri Pesonen had the other two Albany goals, and Keith Kinkaid made 21 saves in the Devil net. Kris Newbury and Christian Thomas scored for the Whale, and Cam Talbot made 32 stops. Sean Collins assisted on both Connecticut goals.
The Whale struck first in the game, at 10:21 of the first period, as Newbury scored his 20th goal of the season on a breakaway. Collins sent Newbury behind the Albany defense with a skillful bank pass off of the right-wing boards, and Newbury put a shot up under the crossbar behind Kinkaid.
Albany replied on a power play at 15:35, with Kelsey Tessier in the penalty box for interference. Moments after Talbot had made a stellar sliding save on Devil point man Damon Severson, Severson was set up again for a one-timer from the left circle. Talbot stopped the shot, but the puck slipped through his pads into the goal crease behind him, and Pesonen poked it into the net.
The same pattern repeated itself in the second period, the Whale jumping ahead and the Devils answering fairly quickly.
Thomas made it a 2-1 Connecticut lead at 11:45 with his 19th of the year, off of a two-on-one down low with Tessier. Tessier found a loose puck and fed it across the slot to Thomas, and Thomas' hard shot went off a diving Kinkaid and in.
Pesonen got that one back for the Devils only 2:49 later, though, at 14:34. The Whale's Dylan McIlrath seemed to have Pesonen well checked on left wing, but Pesonen found enough room to get a hard shot away, and the drive eluded the catching glove of Talbot.
The Whale's regular-season finale in Portland Saturday night is a 7:00 PM game. All the action of that battle can be heard live on "The Rock" 106.9 WCCC and on-line at www.ctwhale.com . Video streaming is available at www.ahllive.com .
For information on Whale playoff tickets and plans, and all of the Whale's many ticketing options, visit www.ctwhale.com, or call the CT Whale ticket office at (860) 548-2000 to talk with an account executive today.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 19, 2013
- Admirals King Checkers 6-4 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Bears Edge Phantom on Late Goal - Adirondack Phantoms
- Houston Nips Texas 4-3 in Last Ever Regular Season Showdown - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs Crush IceCaps 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Hamilton Scores Twice Shorthanded Late in 4-2 Win - Worcester Sharks
- Aeros Beat Texas 4-3, Clinch Calder Cup Playoff - Houston Aeros
- Win Streak Comes to End in Second-To-Last Game of Season - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolves Stay Alive with 5-2 Victory at Lake Erie - Chicago Wolves
- Checkers Come Back, Lose Lead in Milwaukee - Charlotte Checkers
- Providence Bruins Clinch Top Seed in Eastern Conference - Providence Bruins
- Monarchs Take Control over Senate - Manchester Monarchs
- Portland Pirates Clinch Playoff Berth - Portland Pirates
- Griffins Win Midwest Division Title - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rivermen Close Road Schedule Wth Last-Second Loss - Peoria Rivermen
- Penguins Fall to Sharks at Home - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- B-Sens Fall to Monarchs, 2-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Admirals Fall in Syracuse, Now in a Four-Way Tie in Playoff Race - Norfolk Admirals
- Late Goal Leads to Devils' Victory - Albany Devils
- IceCaps Defeated by Bulldogs - St. John's IceCaps
- Flames Reassign Mark Cundari to Abbotsford - Abbotsford Heat
- Heat Edged by Barons 1-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- MVP Leads Crunch Past Admirals - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Drop Back-And-Forth Battle to Bruins - Springfield Falcons
- Bears Come Back to Defeat Phantoms - Hershey Bears
- Pirates Clinch Playoff Berth with 3-1 Win over Sound Tigers - Portland Pirates
- Pirates Defeat Sound Tigers 3-1 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Marlies Win Second Consecutive Sam Pollock Trophy - Toronto Marlies
- Whitney Whacks Whale with Late Tally - Connecticut Whale
- Bulldogs Annual Fan Appreciation Day to Take Place this Sunday - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Diamond Agrees to Entry-Level Deal - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- B-Sens and B-Mets Partner for "Downtown Doubleheader" - Binghamton Senators
- Norfolk Admirals Weekly: Admirals Control Their Playoff Picture in Final Weekend - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Receive Five from Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Anaheim Recalls G Igor Bobkov from Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Kings Assign Toffoli to Manchester - Manchester Monarchs
- Sound Tigers Sign Three to AHL Contracts for 2013-14 Season - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Syracuse Crunch Forward Tyler Johnson Named American Hockey League MVP - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse's Tyler Johnson Named Winner of Les Cunningham Award as AHL MVP - AHL
- Flames Recall Mark Cundari - Abbotsford Heat
- Henderson, Bang Recalled to Nashville - Milwaukee Admirals
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield at Providence, Game #75 - Springfield Falcons
- AHL's Rochester Americans to Participate in 2013 Spengler Cup Tournament - AHL
- Bogosian and Everson Added for Final Weekend - Peoria Rivermen
- Pirates Look to Clinch Playoff Berth against Sound Tigers - Portland Pirates
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.