Moose too Strong for Rocket
The Manitoba Moose (15-18-2-0) opened a six-game home stand with a 4-0 victory over the Laval Rocket (15-17-3-3) Thursday night at Bell MTS Place. Cameron Schilling starting the scoring with his first of the season just 3:33 into the contest. The Moose extended their advantage at 9:13 of the period when Jansen Harkins slipped a backhand feed from behind the net to Alexis D'Aoust on the doorstep, and D'Aoust knocked the puck past Charlie Lindgren. Byron Froese thought he had put Laval on the board late in the frame, but the official's whistle cut the play off before the puck went in the net. Eric Comrie made 10 saves in the period as the Moose took a 2-0 lead to the break.
The second period saw the score remain the same, despite some good looks from both sides. Comrie made 11 saves in the frame including a flashy pad save late in the period to keep Manitoba up 2-0. Lindgren turned aside six Moose attempts on the Laval net.
The goaltenders continued to shine early in the third. Lindgren shut down a Harkins breakaway to get the frame started. Not to be outdone, Comrie came up with a trio of saves during a scramble in the crease, stretching to make a skate save and sprawling to get the puck covered. With time winding down, Laval called Lindgren to the bench for the extra attacker, but Harkins buried the puck into the goal from his own zone for a 3-0 edge. Manitoba tacked on one more from Marko Dano, and Comrie finished the night with 35 saves in the 4-0 win.
Michael Spacek has 12 points (2G, 10A) in his last 13 games.
Eric Comrie recorded his second shutout of the season, and eighth of his career.
Jansen Harkins notched his second multi-point game of the season with a goal and an assist. Quotable
Forward Jansen Harkins on the team's current mindset - "I think everyone in our room knows that we just have to start winning games. I think, ever since the break, our whole mindset has been every game is a playoff game right now, and that's kind of the truth. We just have to find a way to get some points and some wins."
Head Coach Pascal Vincent - "(Eric Comrie) was pretty good... I'll give him a tap on the back, because he was pretty good. When you evaluate your goalies, the way we do it is: making the first save when he has to, making the big saves at the right times, and rebound control. When we give a second chance, I thought that's one part of the game where we were pretty good, it's controlling those second chances. Eric was taking care of those first chances, and it was a pretty good combination."
Game Summary: https://mbmoo.se/2sohc6N
Highlights and Post-Game Coverage: moosehockey.com/moosetv
Photo Gallery: https://mbmoo.se/2snQ3kF
The Moose and Rocket renew hostilities Saturday evening in a 6 p.m. puck drop at Bell MTS Place for Military Appreciation Night. The Moose will sport limited edition jerseys in honour of the Canadian Armed Forces and fans will be treated to a military themed game experience. Tickets for Saturday's game are available at moosehockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Iowa Falls to San Antonio 3-1 - Iowa Wild
- Stars Win 4-3 in Overtime Thriller - Texas Stars
- Griffins Fall to Belleville in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wotherspoon scores overtime-winner as Bridgeport tops Utica in first of two meetings - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Edged by Monsters, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Fall in First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Open Weekend with 6-3 Win over Pack - Providence Bruins
- Palmquist Scores in First PPL Center Sellout of 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Take Down Checkers, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Providence Bolts past Wolf Pack in Second - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Korostelev Nets Shootout Game-Winner as Monsters Stun Crunch, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Six-Goal Surge Propels T-Birds Past Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Drop Battle to Bridgeport in OT - Utica Comets
- Devils Win Third Straight in 2-1 Victory over Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Checkers Fall to Pens 5-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- T-Birds Score Five Unanswered, Drop Bears 6-2 - Hershey Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Acquire Defenseman Jan Rutta, Seventh Round Pick from Chicago Blackhawks - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Sign Forward Doherty to PTO - Binghamton Devils
- Cleveland Monsters Announce Four Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Sabres Assign Smith to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Game #33 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Goloubef Joins Sens in Exchange for Carey - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Announce New Front Office Hires - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs Honor Rockford Heritage with Sock Monkey Night on February 9 - Rockford IceHogs
- Ottawa Recalls Elliott from Sens - Belleville Senators
- O'Connor Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- T-Birds Winger Anthony Greco Named to AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Springfield's Greco Added to Roster for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Marlies Set for Home and Home against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Sens Acquire Klimchuk from Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Begin Second Half this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Devils Sign Cormier to AHL Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Moose too Strong for Rocket - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Fall 4-0 to Manitoba Moose - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.