Rocket Fall 4-0 to Manitoba Moose
WINNIPEG - The Laval Rocket players deserved a better ending in their game against the Manitoba Moose at Bell MTS Place on Thursday night. Joël Bouchard's troops fell by a score of 4-0 during the first confrontation between the two teams this season due to a strong performance by Manitoba's Eric Comrie in goal, combined with a slow start and two refused goals for the Rocket.
Cameron Schilling opened the scoring for the Moose early in the first period with a wrist shot from the blue line that found its way through traffic and eventually bounced off of the blocker of Charlie Lindgren's and in the net, giving Schilling his first goal of the season. Alexis D'Aoust went on to add to Manitoba's lead with a one-timer from the slot before the halfway mark of the period to make it 2-0 for the Moose and though it appeared that Byron Froese scored a shorthanded goal for Laval to make it 2-1 at the end of the period, an early whistle took the goal away and kept the score at 2-0.
Alex Belzile came close to making it a one-goal game in the second period with a one-timer that forced Comrie to quickly stick out his pad to keep his team's two-goal lead alive, and despite outshooting their opponents 11-6 in the period, Joël Bouchard's troops were unable to get on the board.
The Rocket came out dominant in the third period and spent most of the time in Manitoba's end of the rink, sending a total of 14 shots on goal in the final frame. Despite their chances, Comrie held on for his shutout and an empty-net goal with three minutes left along with a goal in the final seconds of the game locked in the final score of 4-0 for the Moose.
"We had a bad start, maybe the first ten minutes," explained Bouchard after the game. "We had a hard time getting into the game with proper execution and energy. Then we challenged the boys and they answered, but nothing was working."
MB: Schilling (Stoykewych, Spacek) | D'Aoust (Harkins) | Harkins | Dano (Lipon, Griffith)
LAV: Lindgren (23/26)
MB: Comrie (35/35)
Rocket Powerplay: 0/3| Rocket Penalty Kill: 4/4
Three Stars: 1. Eric Comrie - MB | 2. Jansen Harkins - MB | 3. Cameron Schilling - MB
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Iowa Falls to San Antonio 3-1 - Iowa Wild
- Stars Win 4-3 in Overtime Thriller - Texas Stars
- Griffins Fall to Belleville in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wotherspoon scores overtime-winner as Bridgeport tops Utica in first of two meetings - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Edged by Monsters, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Fall in First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Open Weekend with 6-3 Win over Pack - Providence Bruins
- Palmquist Scores in First PPL Center Sellout of 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Take Down Checkers, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Providence Bolts past Wolf Pack in Second - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Korostelev Nets Shootout Game-Winner as Monsters Stun Crunch, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Six-Goal Surge Propels T-Birds Past Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Drop Battle to Bridgeport in OT - Utica Comets
- Devils Win Third Straight in 2-1 Victory over Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Checkers Fall to Pens 5-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- T-Birds Score Five Unanswered, Drop Bears 6-2 - Hershey Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Acquire Defenseman Jan Rutta, Seventh Round Pick from Chicago Blackhawks - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Sign Forward Doherty to PTO - Binghamton Devils
- Cleveland Monsters Announce Four Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Sabres Assign Smith to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Game #33 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Goloubef Joins Sens in Exchange for Carey - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Announce New Front Office Hires - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs Honor Rockford Heritage with Sock Monkey Night on February 9 - Rockford IceHogs
- Ottawa Recalls Elliott from Sens - Belleville Senators
- O'Connor Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- T-Birds Winger Anthony Greco Named to AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Springfield's Greco Added to Roster for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Marlies Set for Home and Home against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Sens Acquire Klimchuk from Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Begin Second Half this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Devils Sign Cormier to AHL Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Moose too Strong for Rocket - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Fall 4-0 to Manitoba Moose - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Laval Rocket Stories
- Rocket Overcome Two-Goal Deficit and Defeat Thunderbirds 3-2 in Overtime
- Lacouvee Makes 35 Saves in 2-1 Shootout Loss to Comets
- Rocket Come from Behind to Defeat Bruins 3-2 in 8-Round Shootout
- Rocket Score Five Powerplay Goals in 6-5 Shooutout Loss to Senators
- Lacouvee Makes 31 Saves in Rocket 3-2 Shootout Win over Senators