Crunch Edged by Monsters, 4-3, in Overtime
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Cleveland Monsters scored with 27 seconds remaining to force overtime before eventually topping the Syracuse Crunch, 4-3, in a five-round shootout at the War Memorial Arena.
Alex Barre-Boulet put up two goals in the back-and-forth affair, but the Crunch were unable to hold on to their lead and slip to 21-11-2-1 on the season.
Goaltender Eddie Pasquale stopped 25-of-28 shots and 4-of-5 shootout attempts in net for the Crunch. Brad Thiessen recorded the win with 33 saves between the pipes for the Monsters and a perfect 5-for-5 in the shootout. Syracuse went 0-for-3 on the power play, while Cleveland converted on 1-of-4.
The Crunch lit the lamp 5:47 into the game. Ross Colton grabbed the puck behind the cage and wrapped around to jam it in. His attempt was blocked, but Barre-Boulet was out front to chip in the second chance. Cameron Gaunce tallied a point on the opening goal.
The Monsters evened the score during 4-on-4 play 4:36 into the second period. Alex Broadhurst picked off a pass at the blueline and beat Pasquale on a short breakaway.
Cleveland took the lead halfway through the middle frame. Broadhurst threw a centering feed from the left-wing boards for Maxime Fortier to stuff in low glove side.
Syracuse knotted the game with 4:02 remaining in the second period. Gabriel Dumont dug the puck out from the end boards and sent it to Verhaeghe. He dished it out for Barre-Boulet to net his second of the night from the slot.
Verhaeghe tallied a goal of his own 4:31 into the final stanza to put the Crunch back on top. He beat Thiessen to a lead pass when the goaltender came out of his crease to play it and scored into a wide-open net. Dumont and Cal Foote earned the assists.
With just 27 seconds remaining, the Monsters capitalized on the power play to force overtime. Dan DeSalvo tipped Mark Letestu's shot down low. Adam Clendening earned the secondary helper.
After a scoreless overtime frame, Nikita Korostelev potted the game-winner in the fifth round of the shootout.
The Crunch travel to face the Utica Comets tomorrow at 7 p.m.
Single game tickets and packages for the 2018-19 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch.
Crunchables: Cameron Gaunce is now tied for third in the league among defenseman with 28 points (6g, 22a)...Alex Barre-Boulet has two multi-goal games this season...Carter Verhaeghe has 14 multi-point performances in 35 games.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Iowa Falls to San Antonio 3-1 - Iowa Wild
- Stars Win 4-3 in Overtime Thriller - Texas Stars
- Griffins Fall to Belleville in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wotherspoon scores overtime-winner as Bridgeport tops Utica in first of two meetings - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Edged by Monsters, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Fall in First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Open Weekend with 6-3 Win over Pack - Providence Bruins
- Palmquist Scores in First PPL Center Sellout of 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Take Down Checkers, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Providence Bolts past Wolf Pack in Second - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Korostelev Nets Shootout Game-Winner as Monsters Stun Crunch, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Six-Goal Surge Propels T-Birds Past Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Drop Battle to Bridgeport in OT - Utica Comets
- Devils Win Third Straight in 2-1 Victory over Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Checkers Fall to Pens 5-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- T-Birds Score Five Unanswered, Drop Bears 6-2 - Hershey Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Acquire Defenseman Jan Rutta, Seventh Round Pick from Chicago Blackhawks - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Sign Forward Doherty to PTO - Binghamton Devils
- Cleveland Monsters Announce Four Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Sabres Assign Smith to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Game #33 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Goloubef Joins Sens in Exchange for Carey - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Announce New Front Office Hires - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs Honor Rockford Heritage with Sock Monkey Night on February 9 - Rockford IceHogs
- Ottawa Recalls Elliott from Sens - Belleville Senators
- O'Connor Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- T-Birds Winger Anthony Greco Named to AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Springfield's Greco Added to Roster for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Marlies Set for Home and Home against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Sens Acquire Klimchuk from Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Begin Second Half this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Devils Sign Cormier to AHL Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Moose too Strong for Rocket - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Fall 4-0 to Manitoba Moose - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.