Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 11
The Belleville Senators collected its first win of 2019 Wednesday and will look to build on that when they visit Michigan to face the Grand Rapids Griffins.
Belleville (17-20-2-0) cut its deficit to a playoff spot to just three points with a win over Cleveland and despite still sitting in eighth in the North, the Sens continue to inch closer to a playoff spot.
Tonight's game is the first match-up in a five-game road trip that doesn't see Belleville return home until Jan. 25.
Grand Rapids (20-12-3-3) are third in the Central Division in the Western Conference and sit just one point out of the first place Iowa Wild.
In 18 home games this season, the Griffins have lost just three times in regulation while the Senators hold a 5-12-2-0 record away from CAA Arena.
No moves after Wednesday's game for the Senators as they hit the road but will do so without Jim O'Brien, Andrew Sturtz and Aaron Luchuk who stayed in Belleville.
Filip Gustavsson started Wednesday's game and with a back-to-back, expect Gustavsson and Jake Paterson, who use to play for the Griffins, to get a start each.
The two teams met in Belleville Oct. 26-27 with the Sens winning the first contest 5-3 before falling 3-1 the next night.
Who to watch
With 14 points in his last 13 games, Senators forward Paul Carey has moved atop the Sens' scoring lead with 27 points this season in 29 games. His 22 assists are also a team high.
Chris Terry, who the Sens know very well from his time with Laval last season, leads the Griffins in scoring with 39 points, which also ranks as the fourth most in the AHL.
Where to watch
Wednesday's game starts at 7:00pm and can be seen on AHLTV. Fans can also watch tonight's contest at Shoeless Joe's in Belleville.
The radio broadcast on CJBQ 800 begins at 6:50pm with Jack Miller on the call.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Iowa Falls to San Antonio 3-1 - Iowa Wild
- Stars Win 4-3 in Overtime Thriller - Texas Stars
- Griffins Fall to Belleville in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wotherspoon scores overtime-winner as Bridgeport tops Utica in first of two meetings - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Edged by Monsters, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Fall in First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Open Weekend with 6-3 Win over Pack - Providence Bruins
- Palmquist Scores in First PPL Center Sellout of 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Take Down Checkers, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Providence Bolts past Wolf Pack in Second - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Korostelev Nets Shootout Game-Winner as Monsters Stun Crunch, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Six-Goal Surge Propels T-Birds Past Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Drop Battle to Bridgeport in OT - Utica Comets
- Devils Win Third Straight in 2-1 Victory over Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Checkers Fall to Pens 5-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- T-Birds Score Five Unanswered, Drop Bears 6-2 - Hershey Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Acquire Defenseman Jan Rutta, Seventh Round Pick from Chicago Blackhawks - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Sign Forward Doherty to PTO - Binghamton Devils
- Cleveland Monsters Announce Four Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Sabres Assign Smith to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Game #33 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Goloubef Joins Sens in Exchange for Carey - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Announce New Front Office Hires - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs Honor Rockford Heritage with Sock Monkey Night on February 9 - Rockford IceHogs
- Ottawa Recalls Elliott from Sens - Belleville Senators
- O'Connor Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- T-Birds Winger Anthony Greco Named to AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Springfield's Greco Added to Roster for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Marlies Set for Home and Home against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Sens Acquire Klimchuk from Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Begin Second Half this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Devils Sign Cormier to AHL Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Moose too Strong for Rocket - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Fall 4-0 to Manitoba Moose - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.