Devils Win Third Straight in 2-1 Victory over Phantoms
ALLENTOWN - Evan Cormier made 30 saves and Nick Lappin scored the eventual game winner as the Binghamton Devils defeated the Lehigh Valley Phantoms on the road Friday night, 2-1, for their third win in a row.
After no scoring in the first period, the Devils broke the ice and took a 1-0 lead on a rebound chance. Nick Lappin fired a shot off the leg pad of goaltender Alex Lyon and the rebound went right to Ryan Schmelzer who tapped home his seventh of the year. Schmelzer's goal came at 9:16 of the second with assists from Lappin and Brandon Gignac.
After a key defensive play by Egor Yakovlev, Lappin gave the Devils a 2-0 lead. With the power play coming to a close, Gignac fired a shot from the left circle to the front of the net that Lappin deflected in. The goal was Lappin's 12th of the year, second in as many games, and second point of the night at 16:16 with assists from Gignac and Colton White. Binghamton took a 2-0 lead into the third period despite being outshot, 21-14.
Lehigh Valley got one back in the third period as Zach Palmquist banked the puck off goaltender Evan Cormier from the left wing wall at the 12:55 mark. The goal pulled the Phantoms within a goal of tying the game and was assisted by Connor Bunnaman and Carsen Twarynski. In the end, Binghamton held on for the one-goal win. Cormier stopped 30 of 31 shots for the win.
The Devils return home tomorrow night to host the Cleveland Monsters at 7:05 p.m. Join the Devils for Star Wars Night presented by CHOBANI. Fans can get a special Devils lightsaber and a ticket to the game for just $20.
For more information, including pricing, group outings, taking a limo to the game, fan experiences, and much more, visit www.binghamtondevils.com or call the Devils front office at 607-722-7367.
Images from this story
Binghamton Devils defenseman John Ramage (55) and the Binghamton defense takes on the Lehigh Valley Phantoms
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Iowa Falls to San Antonio 3-1 - Iowa Wild
- Stars Win 4-3 in Overtime Thriller - Texas Stars
- Griffins Fall to Belleville in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wotherspoon scores overtime-winner as Bridgeport tops Utica in first of two meetings - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Edged by Monsters, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Fall in First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Open Weekend with 6-3 Win over Pack - Providence Bruins
- Palmquist Scores in First PPL Center Sellout of 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Take Down Checkers, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Providence Bolts past Wolf Pack in Second - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Korostelev Nets Shootout Game-Winner as Monsters Stun Crunch, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Six-Goal Surge Propels T-Birds Past Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Drop Battle to Bridgeport in OT - Utica Comets
- Devils Win Third Straight in 2-1 Victory over Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Checkers Fall to Pens 5-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- T-Birds Score Five Unanswered, Drop Bears 6-2 - Hershey Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Acquire Defenseman Jan Rutta, Seventh Round Pick from Chicago Blackhawks - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Sign Forward Doherty to PTO - Binghamton Devils
- Cleveland Monsters Announce Four Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Sabres Assign Smith to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Game #33 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Goloubef Joins Sens in Exchange for Carey - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Announce New Front Office Hires - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs Honor Rockford Heritage with Sock Monkey Night on February 9 - Rockford IceHogs
- Ottawa Recalls Elliott from Sens - Belleville Senators
- O'Connor Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- T-Birds Winger Anthony Greco Named to AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Springfield's Greco Added to Roster for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Marlies Set for Home and Home against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Sens Acquire Klimchuk from Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Begin Second Half this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Devils Sign Cormier to AHL Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Moose too Strong for Rocket - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Fall 4-0 to Manitoba Moose - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.