P-Bruins Open Weekend with 6-3 Win over Pack
Providence, RI - The Providence Bruins defeated the Hartford Wolf Pack Friday night 6-3 to start their three-game weekend. The P-Bruins got goals from Peter Cehlarik, Jordan Szwarz, Karson Kuhlman, Anton Blidh, Mark McNeill and Chris Breen while Zane McIntyre made his 22nd start of the season in net.
Providence was given the first chance to score when Ryan Lindgren tripped Trent Frederic on a breakaway and the P-Bruins were awarded a penalty shot. Frederic tried to go 5-hole, but Brandon Halverson blocked the attempt to keep it scoreless midway through the period. Peter Holland on a Hartford power play maneuvered the puck through traffic, and on a wrister he lit the lamp for his 13th goal of the season to give the Wolf Pack a 1-0 lead at 14:51. Ville Meskanen doubled the lead at 17:23 with a back hand shot from the right post to make it 2-0 after one.
The P-Bruins broke through 2:45 into the second period on a goal from Cehlarik. Connor Clifton at the right point shot the puck towards Halverson, but the rebound went to Cehlarik at the bottom of the left circle. Cehlarik hit the back of the net for his eighth goal of the season and Providence made it a 2-1 game. They tied the game at 4:30 on a sweet play from their top line. Kuhlman skated around the net and fired a shot that Cameron Hughes corralled. Hughes fed Szwarz alone backdoor and the captain scored his 13th goal of the year to make it 2-2.
Kuhlman gave Providence their first lead of the night 7:33 into the second on a wrister from the far left hash. Blidh made it 4-2 at 12:02, tapping in a pass across the crease from Zach Senyshyn for his seventh goal of the season. Hartford made it close at the end of the second, scoring a shorthanded breakaway from Holland for his second tally of the night to make it 4-3 into the second intermission. Providence seized control back late in the third as McNeill tipped in a slapper from Clifton to make it 5-3, and Breen sealed the win with an empty netter to send the P-Bruins home 6-3 winners.
McIntyre stopped 15-18 shots while Halverson stopped 29-34 shots. Providence was 1-3 on the power play and 3-3 on the penalty kill. The P-Bruins are back in action tomorrow night in Springfield when they take on the Thunderbirds at 7:05pm for the start of a home-and-home series.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 11, 2019
- Iowa Falls to San Antonio 3-1 - Iowa Wild
- Stars Win 4-3 in Overtime Thriller - Texas Stars
- Griffins Fall to Belleville in Shootout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wotherspoon scores overtime-winner as Bridgeport tops Utica in first of two meetings - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Edged by Monsters, 4-3, in Overtime - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Fall in First of Two with Marlies - Rochester Americans
- P-Bruins Open Weekend with 6-3 Win over Pack - Providence Bruins
- Palmquist Scores in First PPL Center Sellout of 2019 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Take Down Checkers, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Providence Bolts past Wolf Pack in Second - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Korostelev Nets Shootout Game-Winner as Monsters Stun Crunch, 4-3 - Cleveland Monsters
- Six-Goal Surge Propels T-Birds Past Bears - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Comets Drop Battle to Bridgeport in OT - Utica Comets
- Devils Win Third Straight in 2-1 Victory over Phantoms - Binghamton Devils
- Checkers Fall to Pens 5-1 - Charlotte Checkers
- T-Birds Score Five Unanswered, Drop Bears 6-2 - Hershey Bears
- Tampa Bay Lightning Acquire Defenseman Jan Rutta, Seventh Round Pick from Chicago Blackhawks - Syracuse Crunch
- Devils Sign Forward Doherty to PTO - Binghamton Devils
- Cleveland Monsters Announce Four Roster Moves - Cleveland Monsters
- Sabres Assign Smith to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Game #33 Preview: Tucson vs. Chicago - Tucson Roadrunners
- Goloubef Joins Sens in Exchange for Carey - Belleville Senators
- Griffins Announce New Front Office Hires - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceHogs Honor Rockford Heritage with Sock Monkey Night on February 9 - Rockford IceHogs
- Ottawa Recalls Elliott from Sens - Belleville Senators
- O'Connor Reassigned to Colorado Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- T-Birds Winger Anthony Greco Named to AHL All-Star Classic Roster - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Springfield's Greco Added to Roster for 2019 AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Marlies Set for Home and Home against Amerks - Toronto Marlies
- Sens Acquire Klimchuk from Toronto - Belleville Senators
- Sound Tigers Begin Second Half this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Game Preview: Bears at Thunderbirds, 7:05 p.m. - Hershey Bears
- Game Day Build-Up: Senators at Griffins, January 11 - Belleville Senators
- Devils Sign Cormier to AHL Contract - Binghamton Devils
- Moose too Strong for Rocket - Manitoba Moose
- Rocket Fall 4-0 to Manitoba Moose - Laval Rocket
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Fall to Springfield Thunderbirds, 5-2
- P-Bruins Defeat Rochester Americans, 3-2, in Home Opener
- Bruins Assign Axel Andersson to QMJHL's Moncton Wildcats
- P-Bruins Top Hershey Bears in Overtime, 2-1
- P-Bruins Defeat Lehigh Valley Phantoms, 3-0, in Season Opener