Moose Sweep Bakersfield
The Manitoba Moose (36-28-5-2) got a late goal to pick up a 3-2 win against the Bakersfield Condors (39-20-3-2) before a raucous Wednesday night crowd at Bell MTS Place. The Moose penalty kill shut down all seven power plays faced on Tuesday, and got off to a strong start in the first period. After killing two minor penalties, the Moose shorthanded unit faced down a five-minute major, and took care of all but 15 seconds of the penalty which carried into the second period. Mikhail Berdin was busy in the first, stopping 14 Condors shots in the frame.
Bakersfield opened the scoring 6:45 into the second period as Luke Esposito just managed to push the puck over the goal line on a wraparound. The Moose responded 2:46 later when Charles-David Beaudoin skated onto a loose puck in the slot and snapped it past Dylan Wells for his first of the season. The Manitoba power play got in on the action with 1:53 left in the frame while working on a five-on-three advantage. After Kristian Vesalainen showed some patience during a scramble to the side of the Condors net, he moved the puck to Cameron Schilling who set up Logan Shaw for a one-timer to give the Moose a 2-1 lead. The home side outshot the visitors by a 14-6 count in the period as the Moose took a 2-1 lead to the third.
The Manitoba lead lasted until the 4:43 mark of the third when William Lagesson was able to lean into a shot from the slot and hit the twine. The game stayed locked at 2-2 until the Moose struck with 3:28 left on the clock. Vesalainen worked the puck to Shaw in front for a shot, and Mason Appleton pounced on the rebound to put the Moose in front. A late Condors penalty assisted the Moose in defending their late lead as they grabbed a second straight win, 3-2 over Bakersfield.
Peter Stoykewych played his 250th AHL game, and was named the Moose winner of the 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty Man of the Year award earlier today.
Cam Maclise played his 100th AHL game.
Logan Shaw has goals in back-to-back games, and scored five against Bakersfield this season.
Attendance was announced at 6,845. Quotable
Defenceman Charles-David Beaudoin on the playoff-like atmosphere - "Best time of the year to play hockey to be honest. We say playoff hockey is the best time of the year, but now we're kind of in playoffs. We don't have a lot of margin to lose, and we've got to win those games and we know the importance of the games."
Head Coach Pascal Vincent on his team's ability to rise above challenges - "That's a team that's been pushing and facing adversity, and we take anything that comes our way. We try to use it and turn it into something we can take advantage of."
Game Summary: https://mbmoo.se/2uM1tQe
Highlights and Post-Game Coverage: moosehockey.com/moosetv
Photo Gallery: https://mbmoo.se/2SLrddr
The Moose have a couple days before welcoming the Stockton Heat to Bell MTS Place for the final two games of the regular season home schedule. Country Music Day, featuring a Sami Niku mini bobblehead giveaway and an in-game concert from Doc Walker, goes at 2 p.m. on Saturday. Fan Appreciation Day follows on Sunday in another 2 p.m. puck drop. Tickets for both games are available at moosehockey.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 4, 2019
- Jake Leschyshyn Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Sign Justin Brazeau to Two-Year AHL Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Bobby MacIntyre Named Rampage 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - San Antonio Rampage
- San Diego Gulls to Host Fan Appreciation Night Friday, April 5 - San Diego Gulls
- Join the Griffins for Final Two Home Games of Regular Season Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blue Jackets Recall Adam Clendening, Alexandre Texier from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Colorado Eagles Add Nick Henry, Sasha Larocque - Colorado Eagles
- Three Additions, Three Subtractions from Hartford Roster - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Blank Marlies on the Road, 3-0 - Hershey Bears
- Thunderbirds Sign G Ryan Bednard to ATO - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Ads Have Thomas Jefferson Bobbleheads and Dog Day this Friday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Senators Pen Bourque and Summers to Contracts - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Sign Jan Drozg & Brandon Hawkins to ATOs - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Sign Aaron Thow to ATO - Utica Comets
- Francouz Returns Home for Birth of Child - Colorado Eagles
- Game Preview: Bears at Marlies, 11 a.m. - Hershey Bears
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2019-20 Home Opener on Friday, October 11th - Cleveland Monsters
- Marlies Host Bears for Early Start at Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Reign Top Griffins with 3-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Petersen Keeps Griffins at Bay - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Edge Rampage in Milwaukee - San Antonio Rampage
- Street Leads Gulls' Rally over San Jose - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Upended by San Diego 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Sweep Bakersfield - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Loses to Tucson 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Rally to Reclaim Playoff Spot with Overtime Win in Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.