Barracuda Upended by San Diego 4-3
San Jose, CA - The San Jose Barracuda (35-21-3-4) returned home to SAP Center on Wednesday looking for their fourth win in a row as they welcomed the San Diego Gulls (34-23-4-3) (Anaheim Ducks) in a possible opening-round playoff preview. Despite taking the lead in the third, the Barracuda allowed a pair of unanswered goals and fell 4-3.
With the win, San Diego inched within two points of the Barracuda and took sole possession of third in the AHL's Pacific Division. The Barracuda sit in second place and need just four points to secure a spot in the playoffs with five games remaining this season.
The first period of Wednesday's contest looked like it would finish scoreless, but Matt Berry fed a pass into the low slot where it was redirected by Kalle Kossila (14) over the glove of Antoine Bibeau to give the Gulls at 1-0 lead with 13 seconds remaining. San Diego outshot San Jose 13-to-nine in the first period and took that 1-0 lead into the dressing room.
In the second, the Barracuda would draw even at the 2:56 mark on the power-play when Cavan Fitzgerald (7) unleashed a wrist shot from the high slot that went top corner, past the outstretched glove hand of Kevin Boyle. The Gulls would answer at the 6:32 mark when Bibeau made a phenomenal save on a point-blank chance by Corey Tropp but the puck would squeak under his right arm and Brent Gates (1) was able to swipe in the loose puck to give the Gulls a 2-1 lead. After a crucial penalty kill, and a flurry of great saves by Bibeau, the Barracuda would tie the game at 15:19 when T.J. Hensick (5) took a pass from Jeffrey Viel and walked down from the left point, carried the puck across the slot, and rocketed a wrister over the blocker of Boyle.
The Barracuda took their first lead of the game with a power-play goal by Kyle Wood (5) who snapped a 22-game goalless drought when he chipped a loose puck past Boyle after a scramble broke out in front of the Gulls net at the 8:42 mark. Less than two minutes later, the Gulls would even the game at three as Justin Kloos (16) worked his way around Bibeau before sliding a shot through Bibeau's five-hole at 9:57. At 14:32, Berry dragged Bibeau out of his net along the right side before sending a pass back to Ben Street (6) who poked the puck in from the crease. Street's goal would turn out to be the game-winner as San Jose's comeback attempt would fall short.
Boyle (23-12-1) earned the victory for the Gulls by making 33 saves on 36 shots while Bibeau (14-13-5) took the loss for San Jose after surrendering four goals on 38 shots.
The Barracuda now await the Grand Rapids Griffins (Detroit Red Wings) for a weekend series starting at 7PM on Friday April 5th. Friday is Fan Appreciation Night which includes in-arena giveaways, $2 beers and $1 hotdogs and the first 1,500 fans in the building will receive a 2018-19 team photo. You can listen to Friday's game live on AM 1220 KDOW, Sharks + SAP Center App and watch at watchtheahl.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 4, 2019
- Jake Leschyshyn Joins Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Marlies Sign Justin Brazeau to Two-Year AHL Contract - Toronto Marlies
- Bobby MacIntyre Named Rampage 2018-19 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year - San Antonio Rampage
- San Diego Gulls to Host Fan Appreciation Night Friday, April 5 - San Diego Gulls
- Join the Griffins for Final Two Home Games of Regular Season Next Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blue Jackets Recall Adam Clendening, Alexandre Texier from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Colorado Eagles Add Nick Henry, Sasha Larocque - Colorado Eagles
- Three Additions, Three Subtractions from Hartford Roster - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Bears Blank Marlies on the Road, 3-0 - Hershey Bears
- Thunderbirds Sign G Ryan Bednard to ATO - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Ads Have Thomas Jefferson Bobbleheads and Dog Day this Friday - Milwaukee Admirals
- Senators Pen Bourque and Summers to Contracts - Belleville Senators
- Penguins Sign Jan Drozg & Brandon Hawkins to ATOs - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Comets Sign Aaron Thow to ATO - Utica Comets
- Francouz Returns Home for Birth of Child - Colorado Eagles
- Game Preview: Bears at Marlies, 11 a.m. - Hershey Bears
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2019-20 Home Opener on Friday, October 11th - Cleveland Monsters
- Marlies Host Bears for Early Start at Coliseum - Toronto Marlies
- Reign Top Griffins with 3-1 Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Petersen Keeps Griffins at Bay - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Edge Rampage in Milwaukee - San Antonio Rampage
- Street Leads Gulls' Rally over San Jose - San Diego Gulls
- Barracuda Upended by San Diego 4-3 - San Jose Barracuda
- Moose Sweep Bakersfield - Manitoba Moose
- Iowa Loses to Tucson 4-3 in Overtime - Iowa Wild
- Roadrunners Rally to Reclaim Playoff Spot with Overtime Win in Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.