Mavs Pick up Road Win in Shutout of Utah, 3-0
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah - The Kansas City Mavericks defeated the Utah Grizzlies 3-0 Saturday night at Maverik Center in West Valley City, Utah. Goaltender Mason McDonald stopped 18 of 18 shots for his third shutout of the season and the Mavericks picked up goals from Joey Sides, Greg Betzold and Jordan Klimek. The Mavericks and Grizzlies will wrap up their three-game series this Monday afternoon at 2 p.m. Central Time.
Joey Sides gave the Mavericks a 1-0 lead late in the first period with a power play goal at the 15:34 mark of the first period. Rocco Carzo picked up an assist on the goal. The Mavericks outshot the Grizzlies 7-2 in the opening period.
Greg Betzold extended the Mavericks lead to 2-0 in the second period at the 6:41 mark. Jared VanWormer assisted on the goal. The Mavericks seized control of the game just over a minute later when Jordan Klimek scored on a shot from the point to put Kansas City up 3-0. Mike Panowyk and C.J. Eick assisted on the goal.
Mavericks goaltender Mason McDonald held off the Grizzlies for the final 20 minutes of regulation en route to his third shutout of the season, stopping all 18 Utah shots in regulation. Kansas City outshot Utah 30-18 on the night. The third period got physical late, as Utah's Taylor Richart picked up a game misconduct aggressor penalty 7:55 into the final period. The teams would combine for a total of 41 penalty minutes in the third period.
The Mavericks and Grizzlies wrap up their three game set on Monday afternoon at 2:05 p.m. Central Time before returning home next Wednesday to face the Toledo Walleye. Faceoff against Toledo is 7:05 p.m. at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. For more information, please visit kcmavericks.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2019
- Steelheads Force Overtime, Fall 3-2 to Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Pick up Road Win in Shutout of Utah, 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Snap Losing Skid with Shutout Victory in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Royals Smack Allen, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Five-Goal First Leads Cyclones to Two-Game Sweep of Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Blank Thunder in Front of 7,000-Plus - Wichita Thunder
- Boots Makes 47 Saves in 1-0 Road Win in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Blank Oilers 1-0 - Tulsa Oilers
- Clark's Third Period Strike Lifts IceMen over Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Hold off Admirals for 4-2 Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Four Unanswered Put K-Wings Past Thunder 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Win Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss to Kalamazoo - Adirondack Thunder
- Marcoux Helps Brampton to Weekend Split - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Pour on Four Second-Period Goals in 4-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Win Fourth in a Row, Sweep Admirals in Norfolk - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Blue Jackets Send Netminder Kivlenieks to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Mariners at Admirals, February 16, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Beast Game Day Snap Shot, February 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Royals at Allen Looking for Fourth Series Win - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Welcome Thunder to Town on Stranger Wings Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Third Period Meltdown Leads to Worcester Victory - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Hold off Rush in 2-1 Win for Sellout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Overtime Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 on Gage Ausmus Overtime Game Winner - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kansas City Mavericks Stories
- Mavericks Announce Full 2019-20 Regular Season Schedule
- Mavericks Acquire Forward Zeb Knutson from Maine to Complete Futures Trade
- Mavericks Announce Protected List
- Mavericks Announce 2019-20 Regular Season Home Schedule
- Mavericks Trainer Nick Potter Wins ECHL Athletic Trainer of the Year Award