Five-Goal First Leads Cyclones to Two-Game Sweep of Toledo
Toledo, OH - The Cincinnati Cyclones (35-9-3-3) picked up their 35th win of the season with a 5-2 decision over the Toledo Walleye on Saturday night. Forwards Ben Johnson, Vas Glotov, and Jesse Schultz, along with defensemen Tobie Bisson and Mitch Jones tallied the goals for Cincinnati, who are now one point ahead of the Florida Everblades for first place in the ECHL overall.
Cincinnati wasted little time going to work, as just 2:28 into the first a point shot from defenseman DeVante Stephens resulted in a scramble in front, a Johnson was there to slam in the rebound to give the Cyclones 1-0 lead. That lead became 2-0 a little less than two minutes later when Bisson took the puck in the slot and rifled a shot past Walleye goaltender Kaden Fulcher.
Cincinnati continued their forward motion and pushed their lead to three while on the power play, when forward Pascal Aquin sent a rink-wide feed to Glotov in the right circle, and he buried a shot to give the 'Clones a 3-0 advantage. The Cyclones did not let up and took a 4-0 lead when Schultz fired in a shot from the low slot in traffic 11:24 into the frame, chasing Fulcher from the game.
Cincinnati's power play struck again at the 13:30 mark when Jones hammered a point shot in past new Toledo goaltender Pat Nagle following a pass from defenseman Arvin Atwal to lift the Cyclones to a 5-0 lead.
Toledo got on the board late in the frame while on the power play when forward Bryan Moore lit the lamp to cut Cincinnati's lead to 5-1 after the first period.
The Walleye added another in the second from defenseman Ryan Obuchowsk ito pull to within three at 5-2, however the Cyclones defense held firm, as goaltender Jonas Johansson stopped 23 of the final 24 shots he faced in the final two periods to preserve the 5-2 win. Cincinnati was outshot, 30-23 on the evening, with Johansson stopping 28 in the win.
Cincinnati wraps up their three-game weekend on Sunday afternoon at home against the Adirondack Thunder. Face-off is scheduled for 3:05pm ET.
The 2018-19 season is HERE, and the Cincinnati Cyclones want YOU along for the ride! Single game, Group, and Season Tickets are on sale NOW by calling (513) 421-PUCK! Stay on top of all the latest team updates and information on Facebook, Twitter (@CincyCyclones), and Instagram, along with our website, www.cycloneshockey.com!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2019
- Steelheads Force Overtime, Fall 3-2 to Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Pick up Road Win in Shutout of Utah, 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Snap Losing Skid with Shutout Victory in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Royals Smack Allen, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Five-Goal First Leads Cyclones to Two-Game Sweep of Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Blank Thunder in Front of 7,000-Plus - Wichita Thunder
- Boots Makes 47 Saves in 1-0 Road Win in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Blank Oilers 1-0 - Tulsa Oilers
- Clark's Third Period Strike Lifts IceMen over Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Hold off Admirals for 4-2 Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Four Unanswered Put K-Wings Past Thunder 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Win Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss to Kalamazoo - Adirondack Thunder
- Marcoux Helps Brampton to Weekend Split - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Pour on Four Second-Period Goals in 4-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Win Fourth in a Row, Sweep Admirals in Norfolk - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Blue Jackets Send Netminder Kivlenieks to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Mariners at Admirals, February 16, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Beast Game Day Snap Shot, February 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Royals at Allen Looking for Fourth Series Win - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Welcome Thunder to Town on Stranger Wings Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Third Period Meltdown Leads to Worcester Victory - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Hold off Rush in 2-1 Win for Sellout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Overtime Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 on Gage Ausmus Overtime Game Winner - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cincinnati Cyclones Stories
- Cyclones Season Comes to An End Following Game 5 Loss
- Cyclones Pushed to the Brink Following Game 4 Loss
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Central Division Final, Game 4 vs. Toledo
- Cyclones Drop Game 3 in Toledo
- Cyclones Game Preview: 2019 Kelly Cup Playoffs- Central Division Final, Game 3 vs. Toledo