Steelheads Hold off Rush in 2-1 Win for Sellout Crowd
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (31-17-3) jumped ahead first, and the early scoring aided them in a 2-1 win over the Rapid City Rush (20-25-8) on Friday night from CenturyLink Arena in front of a crowd of 5,129 fans, the ninth sellout of the season. The Steelheads now take the season series with six games remaining.
After a scoreless but relentless first period, the Steelheads cashed in on the first shift of the second period. At 0:36, Steelheads forward Kale Kessy took a shot from the right wall that kicked to forward Henrik Samuelsson, who patiently waited for a lane to open and got the game's opening goal for the second-straight night for the 1-0 lead.
The deciding goal came for the Steelheads at 8:17 of the third period when forward Elgin Pearce snapped a shot from the right circle in-transition just under the crossbar, doubling the lead at 2-0. The Rush answered at 12:30 with a chop shot by forward Pierre-Luc Mercier to cut the lead in half, 2-1. Despite pulling the goaltender late, the Rush ran out of the time as the Steelheads took the 2-1 victory.
Steelheads goaltender Tomas Sholl (17-9-0) turned away 22 of 23 shots in the win, while Rush netminder Tyler Parks (4-6-2) saved 30 of 32 shots in the loss.
The Steelheads and Rush finish their three-game weekend on Saturday, Feb. 16 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling the Steelheads at 208-383-0080 or going online to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and at 7:00 p.m. on CableOne Channel 72 and ECHL.TV.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2019
- Steelheads Force Overtime, Fall 3-2 to Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Pick up Road Win in Shutout of Utah, 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Snap Losing Skid with Shutout Victory in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Royals Smack Allen, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Five-Goal First Leads Cyclones to Two-Game Sweep of Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Blank Thunder in Front of 7,000-Plus - Wichita Thunder
- Boots Makes 47 Saves in 1-0 Road Win in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Blank Oilers 1-0 - Tulsa Oilers
- Clark's Third Period Strike Lifts IceMen over Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Hold off Admirals for 4-2 Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Four Unanswered Put K-Wings Past Thunder 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Win Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss to Kalamazoo - Adirondack Thunder
- Marcoux Helps Brampton to Weekend Split - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Pour on Four Second-Period Goals in 4-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Win Fourth in a Row, Sweep Admirals in Norfolk - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Blue Jackets Send Netminder Kivlenieks to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Mariners at Admirals, February 16, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Beast Game Day Snap Shot, February 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Royals at Allen Looking for Fourth Series Win - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Welcome Thunder to Town on Stranger Wings Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Third Period Meltdown Leads to Worcester Victory - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Hold off Rush in 2-1 Win for Sellout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Overtime Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 on Gage Ausmus Overtime Game Winner - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.