Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester
ESTERO, Fla. - The Manchester Monarchs scored four times in the second period to overcome a two-goal deficit and then withstood a furious push by the Florida Everblades in the third period to hang on for a 4-3 win at Hertz Arena on Saturday night.
Trailing 4-2 after two periods, Florida (35-12-5-0, 75 pts.) outshot Manchester (27-23-1-1, 56 pts.) by 14 in the third period but managed just one goal in the final frame of the final game of a six-game homestand.
John McCarron brought the 'Blades within one just 3:03 into the third period on his third goal in as many games, his 23rd tally of the season. After rookie Cliff Pu attempted a wraparound at the near post, McCarron deflected the puck past Manchester goaltender Cole Kehler to whittle Florida's deficit to 4-3.
But Kehler stopped the other 16 shots he saw in the third period to help Manchester hang on for its first-ever win at Hertz Arena.
Joe Cox's team-leading 24th goal of the season got the 'Blades on the board first with 5:09 to play in the first period. Michael Neville sent a pass from in behind the cage to Cox, who was eagerly waiting in the slot. Wasting no time, Cox hammered a one-timer that beat Kehler cleanly on his glove side.
The 'Blades added a late tally with 13 seconds to play in the first period to pad their lead going into the first intermission. Patrick Bajkov picked up the goal against his old team with a shot from the low right circle that beat Kehler on his blocker side. Michael Downing joined the ranks of players to tally a point in their first game with the 'Blades, as he picked up a secondary assist.
Manchester responded by scoring four consecutive goals in the second period, including three goals in three minutes, 31 seconds before the end of the period.
Daniil Miromanov brought the game within one at 11:33 of the second period. Cory Ward hit Miromanov with a pass that allowed Miromanov to make the move to come in all alone on Helvig. Miromanov then snapped a wrist shot past Helvig's blocker from the right circle to make it a 2-1 game.
Nic Pierog then helped Manchester tie the game less than five minutes later. Off a feed from the right circle from Austin Block, Pierog fired a one-time blast past a sliding Helvig with 3:36 left in the second.
Drake Rymsha then pushed Manchester ahead for good with a breakaway tally only eight seconds after Pierog's score.
The Monarchs added to their lead with a power-play goal with 4.7 seconds to play in the second period. Jack Nevins found Tony Cameranesi in the right circle for a shot that beat Helvig blocker side.
Florida now heads on the road for four straight games, a stretch that starts with a Wednesday matchup in Jacksonville against the Icemen. Faceoff is slated for 7 p.m.
Single-game tickets for all regular season home games start at just $10!
Kelly Cup Playoff packages and 2019-20 season ticket packages are on sale now! Become part of the Everblades Family with a Partial Season or a Flexible Voucher Package that fits your schedule and budget! All Ticket & Voucher Packages provide savings and special benefits!
SPECIAL OFFER! Purchase a new ticket package for the 2018-19 season and receive a $20 gift card to Ford's Garage and an Everblades tote bag!
Private Arena Tours are also available to select your season seats! Call the Everblades office at 239-948-7825 to schedule your tour today!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2019
- Steelheads Force Overtime, Fall 3-2 to Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Pick up Road Win in Shutout of Utah, 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Snap Losing Skid with Shutout Victory in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Royals Smack Allen, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Five-Goal First Leads Cyclones to Two-Game Sweep of Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Blank Thunder in Front of 7,000-Plus - Wichita Thunder
- Boots Makes 47 Saves in 1-0 Road Win in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Blank Oilers 1-0 - Tulsa Oilers
- Clark's Third Period Strike Lifts IceMen over Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Hold off Admirals for 4-2 Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Four Unanswered Put K-Wings Past Thunder 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Win Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss to Kalamazoo - Adirondack Thunder
- Marcoux Helps Brampton to Weekend Split - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Pour on Four Second-Period Goals in 4-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Win Fourth in a Row, Sweep Admirals in Norfolk - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Blue Jackets Send Netminder Kivlenieks to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Mariners at Admirals, February 16, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Beast Game Day Snap Shot, February 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Royals at Allen Looking for Fourth Series Win - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Welcome Thunder to Town on Stranger Wings Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Third Period Meltdown Leads to Worcester Victory - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Hold off Rush in 2-1 Win for Sellout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Overtime Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 on Gage Ausmus Overtime Game Winner - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.