Four Unanswered Put K-Wings Past Thunder 4-1
Kalamazoo, MI. - Four unanswered goals including a pair from Brendan Bradley helped the K-Wings silence the Thunder on Saturday night at Wings Event Center, 4-1.
Brendan Bradley scored his fifth and sixth goals in the last six games in the victory. Luke Sandler added his second goal in as many games, while linemate Dominic Zombo notched a pair of assists. Jake Hildebrand continued his career long nine-game winning streak with 25 saves for the K-Wings.
Adirondack didn't wait long to get on the board, scoring on their first shot of the game just 1:01 into the opening frame. Mike Szmatula one-timed a puck from the high slot past Jake Hildebrand to take the early 1-0 lead for the visitors. Three minutes later the Kalamazoo power play had the answer to tie the game at 1-1. Kyle Bushee wristed a puck on the ice to the far post and just tucked it past Alex Sakellaropoulos. The goal gave Kalamazoo a power play goal in five of the last six games.
Brendan Bradley put the home team ahead in the second period. Kyle Thomas' shot rebounded out to Bradley who tucked the rebound home over the pad of Sakellaropoulos, putting the K-Wings up 2-1.
Kalamazoo opened the third with a pair of goals in the opening four minutes, extending the lead to 4-1. On a two-on-one, Dominic Zombo connected with Luke Sandler who ripped a shot into the back of the net for his second goal in as many games. Just a few minutes later the K-Wings added another one as Brendan Bradley netted his second of the night. Bradley's shot from the left circle chipped off the blocker of Sakellaropoulos, and past the goaltender to put Kalamazoo up 4-1. Bradley's second was the insurance the K-Wings needed as Kalamazoo silenced the Thunder skating away with a 4-1 victory, their seventh in the last eight games.
Jake Hildebrand stopped 25 of 26 shots in his ninth straight victory, while Sakellaropoulos stopped 36 of 40 shots in the defeat.
The K-Wings continue a four-game in five-day stretch tomorrow evening in Toledo, taking on the Walleye at 5:15 pm.
Kalamazoo Wings single game and half season tickets are available now! More information can be gathered at www.kwings.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2019
- Steelheads Force Overtime, Fall 3-2 to Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Pick up Road Win in Shutout of Utah, 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Snap Losing Skid with Shutout Victory in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Royals Smack Allen, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Five-Goal First Leads Cyclones to Two-Game Sweep of Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Blank Thunder in Front of 7,000-Plus - Wichita Thunder
- Boots Makes 47 Saves in 1-0 Road Win in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Blank Oilers 1-0 - Tulsa Oilers
- Clark's Third Period Strike Lifts IceMen over Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Hold off Admirals for 4-2 Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Four Unanswered Put K-Wings Past Thunder 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Win Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss to Kalamazoo - Adirondack Thunder
- Marcoux Helps Brampton to Weekend Split - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Pour on Four Second-Period Goals in 4-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Win Fourth in a Row, Sweep Admirals in Norfolk - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Blue Jackets Send Netminder Kivlenieks to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Mariners at Admirals, February 16, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Beast Game Day Snap Shot, February 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Royals at Allen Looking for Fourth Series Win - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Welcome Thunder to Town on Stranger Wings Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Third Period Meltdown Leads to Worcester Victory - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Hold off Rush in 2-1 Win for Sellout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Overtime Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 on Gage Ausmus Overtime Game Winner - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.