Clark's Third Period Strike Lifts IceMen over Rays
NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - Everett Clark knocked home a rebound late in the third period to break an even score and give the Jacksonville Icemen (26-22-2-2) a 3-2 win over the South Carolina Stingrays (25-20-5-0) on Saturday night at the North Charleston Coliseum.
The Stingrays got goals from defender Vinny Muto and forward Andrew Cherniwchan in the loss, while forward Grant Besse added two assists and goaltender Parker Milner started his ninth straight game and stopped 26 shots.
South Carolina grabbed the early lead just as their first power play of the night came to a close when Muto was fed in front of the net by Besse, who used a spin move to create space before dropping the puck off in front where Muto slammed it home. The second assist on the play was credited to forward Jordan Samuels Thomas.
The Icemen responded in the second period, scoring twice in less than two minutes to take a 2-1 lead. First, Wacey Rabbit capitalized on a rush and powered a shot past Milner at 2:42 before David Broll pushed a rebound into the net at 4:18.
Cherniwchan evened the game back up at 12:04 of the middle frame with his 19th goal of the year from Besse. The Northern Michigan University grad found the back of the net by banking the puck off of goaltender Tanner Jaillet and the two teams headed to the final period with a tied score of 2-2.
Although South Carolina outshot Jacksonville 12-8 in the final 20 minutes, Clark had the lone tally at 14:21 of the third, which gave the Icemen the victory.
Jaillet picked up the win for Jacksonville with 25 total saves. Both teams came up empty on the power play and finished 0-for-4 on the man-advantage. The Icemen had the edge in overall shots on goal, 29-27.
The Stingrays play their third home game in three days to close the weekend on Sunday afternoon against the Atlanta Gladiators at 3:05 p.m. at the North Charleston Coliseum. Tickets are on sale now!
To bring your group to the game, call the Stingrays Front Office at 843-744-2248! For single game tickets, visit ticketmaster.com.
Images from this story
South Carolina Stingrays vs. the Jacksonville IceMen
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2019
- Steelheads Force Overtime, Fall 3-2 to Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Pick up Road Win in Shutout of Utah, 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Snap Losing Skid with Shutout Victory in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Royals Smack Allen, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Five-Goal First Leads Cyclones to Two-Game Sweep of Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Blank Thunder in Front of 7,000-Plus - Wichita Thunder
- Boots Makes 47 Saves in 1-0 Road Win in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Blank Oilers 1-0 - Tulsa Oilers
- Clark's Third Period Strike Lifts IceMen over Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Hold off Admirals for 4-2 Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Four Unanswered Put K-Wings Past Thunder 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Win Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss to Kalamazoo - Adirondack Thunder
- Marcoux Helps Brampton to Weekend Split - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Pour on Four Second-Period Goals in 4-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Win Fourth in a Row, Sweep Admirals in Norfolk - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Blue Jackets Send Netminder Kivlenieks to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Mariners at Admirals, February 16, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Beast Game Day Snap Shot, February 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Royals at Allen Looking for Fourth Series Win - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Welcome Thunder to Town on Stranger Wings Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Third Period Meltdown Leads to Worcester Victory - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Hold off Rush in 2-1 Win for Sellout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Overtime Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 on Gage Ausmus Overtime Game Winner - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.