Americans Third Period Meltdown Leads to Worcester Victory
Allen, Texas - The Allen Americans, ECHL affiliate of the Minnesota Wild, opened a three-game weekend homestand on Friday night at Allen Event Center with a 6-2 loss to Worcester.
The Railers erupted for five goals in the third period erasing a 2-1 Allen lead. Worcester scored three goals in just under six minutes early in the third frame. The Railers added two more goals late in the period to put the game away.
Allen had just two power play opportunities on the night, while Worcester had six chances. The Railers were 1 for 6 with the man-advantage, while Allen was 0 for 2.
Braylon Shmyr (14) and Dante Salituro (11) had the only Americans goals. Rookie goalie Kyle Hayton stopped just 9 of 15 shots in the final period.
With the Kansas City Mavericks picking up one point on Friday night in an overtime loss to Utah, the Mavericks extend their lead over Allen to 14 points for the final playoff spot in the Mountain Division.
The Americans will open the doors at 3:15 pm on Saturday with the Americans Alumni Game getting underway at 4:00 pm. The regular game against Reading is at 7:05 pm. Don't miss Wizarding World Night on Saturday brought to you by iPic in Fairview.
1. WOR - M. Cornell
2. WOR - E. Buitenhuis
3. ALN - G. Steffes
Americans Next Home Game:
Saturday,February 16th vs.Reading
Time: 7:05 pm CST
Venue: Allen Event Center
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2019
- Steelheads Force Overtime, Fall 3-2 to Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Pick up Road Win in Shutout of Utah, 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Snap Losing Skid with Shutout Victory in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Royals Smack Allen, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Five-Goal First Leads Cyclones to Two-Game Sweep of Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Blank Thunder in Front of 7,000-Plus - Wichita Thunder
- Boots Makes 47 Saves in 1-0 Road Win in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Blank Oilers 1-0 - Tulsa Oilers
- Clark's Third Period Strike Lifts IceMen over Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Hold off Admirals for 4-2 Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Four Unanswered Put K-Wings Past Thunder 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Win Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss to Kalamazoo - Adirondack Thunder
- Marcoux Helps Brampton to Weekend Split - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Pour on Four Second-Period Goals in 4-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Win Fourth in a Row, Sweep Admirals in Norfolk - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Blue Jackets Send Netminder Kivlenieks to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Mariners at Admirals, February 16, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Beast Game Day Snap Shot, February 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Royals at Allen Looking for Fourth Series Win - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Welcome Thunder to Town on Stranger Wings Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Third Period Meltdown Leads to Worcester Victory - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Hold off Rush in 2-1 Win for Sellout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Overtime Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 on Gage Ausmus Overtime Game Winner - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.