Mariners Win Fourth in a Row, Sweep Admirals in Norfolk
NORFOLK, VA - Greg Chase, a former Norfolk Admiral, continued to torment his old team as scored the game winner late in the 2nd and added another assist to complete a five point weekend and lead the Maine Mariners to their fourth win in a row and a road sweep of the Norfolk Admirals on Saturday night at the Norfolk Scope, by a 4-2 final score.
Norfolk took a 1-0 lead at 9:49 of the opening period when Connor Hurley slid a shot behind Toivonen and in off the post. The Mariners responded well and tied the game at 12:47 when Terrence Wallin stuffed in a backhand wraparound that deflected off of goaltender Ty Reichenbach. The Mariners held a 16-4 shot advantage at the end of one.
At 2:40 of the second, Dwyer Tschantz scored for his second consecutive game when he banged home his own rebound, with Greg Chase setting it up. The score remained 2-1 until late in the period when Darik Angeli tied it up with a power play goal, a simple wrist shot from the right wing that snuck past Maine goaltender Hannu Toivonen. Again, the Mariners answered quickly when Chase restored the lead at 15:30, gathering a puck in the slot and wristing one past a sprawling Reichenbach. The Admirals put 19 shots on goal in the 2nd period, but the Mariners took the 3-2 lead into the locker room.
At 7:29 of the third, Dillan Fox picked up a Toivonen save and led a 3-on-2 up ice. Terrence Wallin's shot was stopping by Reichenbach but Fox buried the rebound to give Maine the first two-goal lead of the game. Toivonen stopped 30 shots in total to earn his third win. Reichenbach stopped 32 of 36 in the loss.
The Mariners have won back-to-back road games for the first time in 2019.
The Mariners continue their road trip Wednesday night in Reading at 7:00 PM. They will then travel to Glens Falls, NY and Manchester, NH next weekend. The next home game is Sunday, February 24th at 3:00 PM against the Worcester Railers. A full team autograph session will follow the game. Single game tickets can be purchased at MarinersofMaine.com or by visiting or calling the Trusted Choice Box Office: 207-775-3458.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2019
- Steelheads Force Overtime, Fall 3-2 to Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Pick up Road Win in Shutout of Utah, 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Snap Losing Skid with Shutout Victory in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Royals Smack Allen, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Five-Goal First Leads Cyclones to Two-Game Sweep of Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Blank Thunder in Front of 7,000-Plus - Wichita Thunder
- Boots Makes 47 Saves in 1-0 Road Win in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Blank Oilers 1-0 - Tulsa Oilers
- Clark's Third Period Strike Lifts IceMen over Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Hold off Admirals for 4-2 Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Four Unanswered Put K-Wings Past Thunder 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Win Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss to Kalamazoo - Adirondack Thunder
- Marcoux Helps Brampton to Weekend Split - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Pour on Four Second-Period Goals in 4-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Win Fourth in a Row, Sweep Admirals in Norfolk - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Blue Jackets Send Netminder Kivlenieks to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Mariners at Admirals, February 16, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Beast Game Day Snap Shot, February 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Royals at Allen Looking for Fourth Series Win - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Welcome Thunder to Town on Stranger Wings Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Third Period Meltdown Leads to Worcester Victory - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Hold off Rush in 2-1 Win for Sellout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Overtime Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 on Gage Ausmus Overtime Game Winner - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.