Steelheads Force Overtime, Fall 3-2 to Rapid City
BOISE, Idaho - The Idaho Steelheads (31-17-4) pressed to earn one point but the Rapid City Rush (21-25-8) take the 3-2 overtime win on Saturday night from CenturyLink Arena in front of a crowd of 5,209 fans, the 10th sellout of the season and second-straight on the weekend.
The Rush earned the opening two goals of the contest starting at 12:31 of the first period with a shot by forward Michael Turner that knuckled off a Steelheads skate to take the 1-0 lead. On the power play at 18:05, Rush forward Darby Llewellyn slipped a shot through a screen to double the lead, 2-0.
In the second period, the Steelheads made their push. At 9:20, Steelheads forward Alex Dahl ripped a shot from the high slot to sneak the puck under the crossbar and cut the lead in half, 2-1. Steelheads forward Elgin Pearce worked to push play through the Rush defense and by the netminder at 12:59, tying the game at 2-2.
After level play and acrobatic saves, the game went to overtime where Rush forward Tyler Poulsen slotted the game-winning tally at 2:13, giving the Rush the 3-2 overtime win.
Rush goaltender Adam Carlson (14-13-5) halted 34 of 36 shots in the win, while Steelheads netminder Ryan Faragher (7-4-2) turned away 38 of 41 shots in the overtime loss.
The Steelheads open a three-game weekend against the Tulsa Oilers on Wednesday, Feb. 20 at 7:10 p.m. from CenturyLink Arena. Tickets are available by calling the Steelheads at 208-383-0080 or going online to idahosteelheads.com. Coverage begins at 6:50 p.m. on 1350AM KTIK and at 7:00 p.m. on CableOne Channel 72 and ECHL.TV.
Single-game tickets and season ticket packages are on sale, with full-season packages starting as low as $300 per seat. Contact the Idaho Steelheads at 208-383-0080 for more information or log on to idahosteelheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2019
- Steelheads Force Overtime, Fall 3-2 to Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Pick up Road Win in Shutout of Utah, 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Snap Losing Skid with Shutout Victory in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Royals Smack Allen, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Five-Goal First Leads Cyclones to Two-Game Sweep of Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Blank Thunder in Front of 7,000-Plus - Wichita Thunder
- Boots Makes 47 Saves in 1-0 Road Win in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Blank Oilers 1-0 - Tulsa Oilers
- Clark's Third Period Strike Lifts IceMen over Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Hold off Admirals for 4-2 Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Four Unanswered Put K-Wings Past Thunder 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Win Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss to Kalamazoo - Adirondack Thunder
- Marcoux Helps Brampton to Weekend Split - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Pour on Four Second-Period Goals in 4-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Win Fourth in a Row, Sweep Admirals in Norfolk - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Blue Jackets Send Netminder Kivlenieks to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Mariners at Admirals, February 16, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Beast Game Day Snap Shot, February 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Royals at Allen Looking for Fourth Series Win - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Welcome Thunder to Town on Stranger Wings Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Third Period Meltdown Leads to Worcester Victory - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Hold off Rush in 2-1 Win for Sellout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Overtime Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 on Gage Ausmus Overtime Game Winner - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.