Grizzlies Win 4-3 on Gage Ausmus Overtime Game Winner
West Valley City, Utah - Gage Ausmus wins the game in overtime for the Utah Grizzlies with 31 seconds left as he scored his first goal of the year to lift the Grizz to a 4-3 win over the Kansas City Mavericks on Friday night.
Utah overcame a 1 goal deficit 3 different times as Kansas City led 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2 with the Grizzlies responding each time. Turner Ottenbreit tied the game 7:52 into the second period. After Nate Widman gave the Mavericks a 2-1 lead, Grayson Downing tied it up with his first ECHL goal after scoring 23 AHL goals in 4 and a half seasons.
Kansas City retook the lead, 3-2 as Greg Betzold scored his 12th of the season 8:54 into the third. Ryan Walters tied things up with a power play goal with 8:02 left. Walters has scored 7 goals in his last 6 games.
Utah outshot Kansas City 39 to 25 in the game. Utah went 1 for 5 on the power play, while Kansas City went 1 for 1, when Jared VanWormer scored his 16th goal of the season with 4.5 seconds left in the first period to gave the Mavericks a 1-0 lead.
Grizzlies Fight Cancer Presented by Stadler continues on Saturday night at Maverik Center. 7 pm face-off. The Grizzlies will be wearing specialty jersey's that will be auctioned off after the game.
3 stars of the game
1. Gage Ausmus (Utah) - Overtime game winning goal.
2. Josh Dickinson (Utah) - 2 assists.
3. Grayson Downing (Utah) - 1 goal, 1 assist.
Images from this story
Utah Grizzlies vs. the Kansas City Mavericks
Utah Grizzlies vs. the Kansas City Mavericks behind the net
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 16, 2019
- Steelheads Force Overtime, Fall 3-2 to Rapid City - Idaho Steelheads
- Mavs Pick up Road Win in Shutout of Utah, 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Fuel Snap Losing Skid with Shutout Victory in Wichita - Indy Fuel
- Surge in Third Period Not Enough in 4-3 Setback to Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Royals Smack Allen, 5-3 - Reading Royals
- Five-Goal First Leads Cyclones to Two-Game Sweep of Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Fuel Blank Thunder in Front of 7,000-Plus - Wichita Thunder
- Boots Makes 47 Saves in 1-0 Road Win in Tulsa - Worcester Railers HC
- Railers Blank Oilers 1-0 - Tulsa Oilers
- Clark's Third Period Strike Lifts IceMen over Rays - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mariners Hold off Admirals for 4-2 Victory - Norfolk Admirals
- Four Unanswered Put K-Wings Past Thunder 4-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- Win Streak Snapped with 4-1 Loss to Kalamazoo - Adirondack Thunder
- Marcoux Helps Brampton to Weekend Split - Wheeling Nailers
- Monarchs Pour on Four Second-Period Goals in 4-3 Win - Manchester Monarchs
- Mariners Win Fourth in a Row, Sweep Admirals in Norfolk - Maine Mariners
- ECHL Announces Fines - ECHL
- Everblades Close out Homestand with Series Finale against Manchester - Florida Everblades
- Blue Jackets Send Netminder Kivlenieks to Kalamazoo - Kalamazoo Wings
- ECHL Transactions - February 16 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Mariners at Admirals, February 16, 2019 - Norfolk Admirals
- Cyclones Game Preview: vs. Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Nailers vs. Beast Game Day Snap Shot, February 16 - Wheeling Nailers
- Game Day: Royals at Allen Looking for Fourth Series Win - Reading Royals
- Game Day: K-Wings Welcome Thunder to Town on Stranger Wings Night - Kalamazoo Wings
- Americans Third Period Meltdown Leads to Worcester Victory - Allen Americans
- Steelheads Hold off Rush in 2-1 Win for Sellout Crowd - Idaho Steelheads
- Grizzlies Insider Adam Turner on 4-3 Overtime Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Grizzlies Win 4-3 on Gage Ausmus Overtime Game Winner - Utah Grizzlies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.